Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co. Clare routes?

• 18-06-2021 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

In the next couple of weeks am staying halfway between Ennis and Kilrush, dying to get out and few some nice trails or looped roads or mountains. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

In the next couple of weeks am staying halfway between Ennis and Kilrush, dying to get out and few some nice trails or looped roads or mountains. Any recommendations?

Sounds like Lissycasey? I ran some of the Mid Clare Way a few weeks back. It’s out and back rather than a loop. The section I ran was mostly fire road. The section I didn’t get as far as near Connolly seems to have some proper trail judging by the map but can’t vouch for it. Can send on further info if that sounds like what you’re after?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

Not really anything too spectacular in that Area

If you a prepared to Drive

12'O Clock Hill in Kilkisheen

BallyVaughan/Fanore for some of the North Clare Way

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Sounds like Lissycasey? I ran some of the Mid Clare Way a few weeks back. It’s out and back rather than a loop. The section I ran was mostly fire road. The section I didn’t get as far as near Connolly seems to have some proper trail judging by the map but can’t vouch for it. Can send on further info if that sounds like what you’re after?

Sounds ideal, anything 10 to 30km is ideal. Any more than that isn’t worth the family wrath 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I've sent you on some info there via DM regarding the Mid Clare Way. Let me know if you want more info such as places to park or Strava routes to upload to the watch.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with ger664 to be honest. Kilrush Woods has a lovely 5k trail loop and a very nice 10k road loop which has savage views of the Shannon Estuary and Scattery Island for at least half the run. Back towards Kilkee you have another decent lumpy road loop back along Dunlickey along the cliffs and the ocean. To the north of Kilkee you've another trail run along the cliff tops. Doughmore near Doonbeg is very popular for a long beach run too! The only thing West Clare doesn't have is proper hills... which I know you like! If any of them sound appealing, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Yeah I'm missing the hills and variety! The info you sent is appreciated, thank you will do some exploring tomorrow. Mostly sticking to country roads most mornings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah I'm missing the hills and variety! The info you sent is appreciated, thank you will do some exploring tomorrow. Mostly sticking to country roads most mornings

If you take the L2158 from Lissycasey south and follow directions for Kildysert, out and back at about 18Km with 350M climbing.

Very much country road rather than track or trail but for a couple Km portion of it heading south you should catch views over the Shannon estuary iirc.

Suggest checking out on Google Maps before heading off.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Sounds ideal, anything 10 to 30km is ideal. Any more than that isn’t worth the family wrath ��

Ha, ha - ditto!
    I'm staying nearer to Lahinch though - looking to run via Hags Head to the other side of Cliffs of Moher out and back. Before the rest of them get out of bed most likely :D

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement