Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for Stating Objective Scientific Facts

Options
  • 18-06-2021 11:44am

Hi there,

I've been banned from Current Affairs for 7x days due to a discussion on the GB News thread that concerned transgenderism.

I should preface that I did consult the moderator in question (Necro) who decided to uphold the decision.

In it, I accurately argued the scientific point that mental states and objective truth cannot be derived from one another.

I gave many examples to establish this axiomatic point: such as a black man was not born a white man (transracial); that an able-bodied man was not born a disabled person (transableism); and that the claims of an anorexic person cannot be taken as truth because they state they are fat. We also include the effects of drugs, dreams, hallucinations, mirages in the distance, and every other form of mental state - in which we correctly conclude that what one thinks mentally does not automatically become objective truth. There are standards of objectivity to uphold in each case - irrespective of whether the mental state comes from mental illness or non-mental illness causes. What matters is the underlying principle: namely, that we cannot, and should not, assume that mental states are correlated with objective truth. That is an eternal principle which is valid whether we believe in it or not.

This is a valid, legitimate, and scientific point.

This is also a point espoused by leading transgender people - such as Blair White and Rose of Dawn, who have a substantial transgender following. Both of these individuals have undergone the full transgender process, and openly and regularly state the above valid, legitimate, and scientific points. A cursory glance at any of their widely popular YouTube videos will show this.

Aside from the validity of this objective truth and aside from the fact many transgender women openly voice this truth, I believe it is counterproductive to ban me from the forum for stating what fully transitioned transgender women already state.

Would Blair White and Rose of Dawn be banned, too, if they came onto this forum and said exactly the same thing? Would these fully transitioned transgender women be banned for being transphobic?

I think not.

Standards of censorship cannot slip this low.

I therefore kindly request a screening of this salient misapplication of the forum charter and to restore my powers to post on the Current Affairs forum.

And during that process, I would ask you to think about the following question: do you want Boards.ie to be a place of science, objectivity, standards of truth, and open discussion? Or do you want it to be one of anti-science, subjectivity, low standards of thought, and censorship?

By un-weaving my ban, you will demonstrate an affinity with the former.

Thank you.
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

eskimohunt wrote: »

And during that process, I would ask you to think about the following question: do you want Boards.ie to be a place of science, objectivity, standards of truth, and open discussion? Or do you want it to be one of anti-science, subjectivity, low standards of thought, and censorship?

By un-weaving my ban, you will demonstrate an affinity with the former.

Thank you.

This thread will deal with your appeal against your ban, and nothing else. Whoever deals with it does not speak for Boards. If you have specific concerns about site or forum rules please start a thread in Help Desk once this appeal is resolved

Have you made an attempt to resolve this with the mod who banned you, via PM?

Beasty wrote: »

Have you made an attempt to resolve this with the mod who banned you, via PM?

Yes, I stated this in my introductory post:
    eskimohunt wrote: »

I should preface that I did consult the moderator in question (Necro) who decided to uphold the decision.

To boost my point, here is a debate between two transgender women: Blair White and Jessica Yaniv.

My perspective happens to align with Blair White (on the left).

But if the debate is valid between two transgender women on YouTube, then it's a perfectly acceptable mode of discourse here, too.

The idea that the debate is uniform with only one angle does a massive disservice to many trans women whose views align with mine, Blair White, Rose of Dawn, and many other prominent transgender women.

Debbie Hayton is another prominent transgender women, who recently appeared on Triggernometry and made the same kinds of argument that I and Blair White have made.

Nobody argued that any of these transgender people are mentally ill.

The only argument made, as supposed by all of the above, is that mental states do not align with what is considered objectively true.

So if this ban is upheld, it would mean that all the transgender women above who share my view are now silenced, too.

If anything is transphobic, it would be precisely that outcome.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you wish this appeal to proceed I would suggest you cut out the walls of text, and stop posting videos that purportedly support your case.

No CMod should have to plough through hours of YouTube.

Make your point/defence in a succinct manner and a CMod can then review that.

As it stands I am not requesting any CMod input at this stage.

Beasty wrote: »
    If you wish this appeal to proceed I would suggest you cut out the walls of text, and stop posting videos that purportedly support your case.

No CMod should have to plough through hours of YouTube.

Make your point/defence in a succinct manner and a CMod can then review that.

As it stands I am not requesting any CMod input at this stage.

To paraphrase, you have asked me - in a forum resolution setting - to remove evidence to support the reasons why I should be unbanned?

Furthermore, on analysis of MANY other resolution threads on here, there are longer cases than mine in terms of text length (which I can link to you, if needed). None of these cases were asked to reduce text evidence length.

Furthermore, nowhere in this forum charter does it state that making the case must have a defined length. I have not violated any rules, again - for the second time today.

Finally, I do not require the Cmod to watch the video evidence. I merely supply it as backup -- to show that my position is not empty of evidence (that my claims re: Blair White and other transgender women are in alignment with my own views; that these people do exist).

• Advertisement

OK, marking resolved

If you do wish to appeal please start a new thread. please quote your PM conversation with the mod, and provide a succinct summary of why you are appealing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement