Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat on a used motorbike from the UK help

Options
  • 18-06-2021 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I’m currently looking at bringing in a used (2012) motocross bike from the Uk. I have done this before brexit but I’m wondering is there anyway at all to avoid paying vat on the bike?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭mountain

Hi, I’m currently looking at bringing in a used (2012) motocross bike from the Uk. I have done this before brexit but I’m wondering is there anyway at all to avoid paying vat on the bike?
    Thanks

If you bring a bike that was registered in the north you won’t have to pay VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

It's a motocross bike so unlikely to be road registered.
    Short answer, no...unless you "smuggle" it by road from the north ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Bring it in dismantled as parts, it'll save some duty (if not classed UK manufactured). You'll still have the VAT to pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's a motocross bike so unlikely to be road registered.
    Short answer, no...unless you "smuggle" it by road from the north ;)

This

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

If it is not registered or for the road. Stick it in a van and go HHD-Belfast or Liv- Belfast on the ferry. Then when you get a chance, declare it for VAT purposed. Dont forget now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Whats the crack with importing an older bike, as in 30 year bike would you have to pay VAT on the price you bought it for?

Or could you get a transport company to throw it in the back of a van and bring it over on the ferry? Are there any still working due to Covid??

Be interested to know as thinking of picking up a GPZ900r and can't find any here in Ireland unless im blind :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Whats the crack with importing an older bike, as in 30 year bike would you have to pay VAT on the price you bought it for?

Or could you get a transport company to throw it in the back of a van and bring it over on the ferry? Are there any still working due to Covid??

Be interested to know as thinking of picking up a GPZ900r and can't find any here in Ireland unless im blind :p

You can't VRT without the VAT and Duty being paid

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Errr,, want a lend of my glasses?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1595582780688381/permalink/2984379048475407/?sale_post_id=2984379048475407

:):)

I would never have looked on FB, checked the usual Adverts and done deal but not FB

Looking for one as a project bike, 3k bit out or range for me, also looking for 84 A model if i can get one.

Can see one on ebay in UK for under 1k, so wondering what vrt would be plus if there is someone who can collect it and bring it over for me

Thanks for the link, that looks nice and clean that bike esp for an 88

You can't VRT without the VAT and Duty being paid

Cheers, wasn't sure thought only vrt to change over registration was needed for older bikes

• Advertisement
Advertisement