Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

klr87 wrote: »
    ... and at 2-2 in the 4th, the roof is indeed being closed.
    It defo helped him in round 1....

Murray breaks leads 4-2 in 4th set...looks like it going to a 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

ah f*ck this !!!

Just give the title to Murray ffs!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

The other thing about closing the roof is that it amplifies the crowd noise, and Murray is demanding all the support they can give him. He holds for 5-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Otte didn't hand him the set....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Otte didn't hand him the set....
    Definitely not! Back on serve....

• Advertisement

watching Murray like this is not much more than a sentimental relic

Murray breaks to take 4th set....it's into a 5th... gripping stuff

glasso wrote: »

Hyperbole much?

Can't agree tbh, no more so than Federer.
    It's a minor miracle he is still competing at this level he had given the issues he has had, injuries recently and hip resurfacing before is no joke.

In fairness the Brits can now cheer on Norrie and Evans as well, Norrie in particular is having a great season.

Also that young 18 year old Emma Raducanu looks like a serious talent.

The match really turned now in Murray's favour, up a break in 5th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Panrich

I can admire what he's achieved and how he's come back from the brink but Murray is a bit of drama queen. It's not very sporting and a bit disrespectful to his opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's a good week 1 narrative. Like him or loathe him, it would be a fine achievement if he managed to still be there by the end of the weekend. Doesn't have to be all about winning the trophy, 90% of them have hardly any chance anyway.

Murray has won 7 of 9 games since the roof was closed, although that hold for 3-0 was a struggle.

Aurelie Tourte overrules, but Hawkeye overrules her in turn. But then I've said before she should never be let umpire on a court without a challenge system.

Hyperbole much?

not really.

Murray has no chance of winning the tournament and this Otte guy is at best a journeyman who's not even playing well here.

Shapovalov will likely easily win against whoever gets through.

Fat Farmer Murray to win Wimbledon, Andy Castle and Sue Barker will be **** all week over it ...

Fat Farmer Murray to win Wimbledon, Andy Castle and Sue Barker will be **** all week over it ...
    Andrew castle and John inverdale are utter plonkers but the Fat farmer comment is bizarre.
    If you are that fussed watch something else.

not really.

Murray has no chance of winning the tournament and this Otte guy is at best a journeyman who's not even playing well here.

Shapovalov will likely easily win against whoever gets through.

In fairness, the whole nature of a tournament is that most of the entrants have no chance of winning it, so not sure what your point is there.

Don't know Shapovalov, so can't do psychic predictions on the next round (before this one is even over).

I think Murray is acquitting himself well here, firing himself and the crowd up and playing some class tennis, looks far from a relic to me......

Cracking last set from Murray, some real flashes of his old brilliance!

Two vintage Murray lobs to finish it,

• Advertisement

Murray down a break in the second set.... have a feeling he might be running out of steam a bit.

If the German holds his nerve, I'd very much fancy him for this match.

That aged well - not!!

Murray vs Shapovalov will obviously be the last match on CC on Friday. They'd better find a way of starting it as late as possible, so that the roof can be closed again. Or do a rain dance ...

In fairness, the whole nature of a tournament is that most of the entrants have no chance of winning it, so not sure what your point is there.

Don't know Shapovalov, so can't do psychic predictions on the next round (before this one is even over).

I think Murray is acquitting himself well here, firing himself and the crowd up and playing some class tennis, looks far from a relic to me......
    Shapovalov has a big serve, 10th seed not exactly great on grass he struggled to win in five sets in round 1, but really talented still young.
    Murray will be the underdog no doubt but has a chance. Shapovalov will be well rested though had walkover in round 2

in fairness the whole point of a tournament is to get as far as possible for player so not sure what your point is there.

Shapovalov is the 10th seed.

Got to the semi-finals at Queen's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Augme

Shapalov should win comfortably. But he equally has zero chance of winning the tournament. Delighted to see Murray back winning st this level.

Contrast him with someone like Benoit paire and I don't know why anyone wouldn't want Murray to keep playing and performing as long as he can. He will always give it his all no matter what and you have to love that about him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nice to see Murray still out there battling. We all know he's not going much further, but good to see that it still means so much to him. After everything his body has been through few would've blamed him if he'd retired ages ago, especially with four kids now in tow.

Shapovalov next is it? On paper he should lose that easily, but Shapovalov hasn't been great at Wimbledon so far in his young career and with the crowd behind Murray.. you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Don't know Shapovalov

How can you not know him? He hit that umpire in the head a few years back.

Shapovalov had a walkover today, but since he's young and fit again (having missing the FO with a shoulder injury), it probably doesn't matter much either way. Murray can't have much left in the tank. They've not played each other before. Murray was not in the GB Davis Cup team when Shapovalov got defaulted for hitting the umpire in the deciding singles rubber in Ottawa in 2017, and Murray has been mostly injured since around that time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Aurelie Tourte overrules, but Hawkeye overrules her in turn. But then I've said before she should never be let umpire on a court without a challenge system.

She does seem to get involved a lot whether its warranted or not.

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    How can you not know him? He hit that umpire in the head a few years back.

it was a proper hit also

straight to the face and barely a flinch from the umpire and it was a full blooded whack of a ball, not a tapped one!

could teach the flushing meadows Karen a thing or six

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Delighted to see Murray go through.

I'm looking forward to the Shapovalov match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Some results I missed today.. Karolina Pliskova gets a comprehensive win against Vekic. Decent result, I'd probably have expected Vekic to win that. Swiatek quietly making her way through the draw. Hoping she can make the fourth round, a match with Muguruza could be terrific. No guarantee Muguruza will make it though, very tough third round against Jabeur coming up.

Sebastian Korda into the third round to play Dan Evans, I'll be keeping a close eye on that. Baby Korda is a nifty little player, and still only 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Kyrgios is such a tool. Reminds me of a spoiled teenager, constantly craving attention and throwing a strop when he is losing. From Australians I know, they are all embarrassed by him. He also has the most bizarre infatuation with Djokovic, seriously needs to grow up and start to win some tournaments. Trash talking players when you have won zero slams or even a master series and you just come across as a joke.

On a separate note, well done to Murray. Nice to see him back playing but the guy he was playing was ranked around 150 and it took 5 sets to put him away. I actually give Murray a very good chance vs Shapovalov, i think he is a good player but very flaky. Murray has a very good draw actually because after that he would probably face Bautista Agut, he is a super solid player but doesnt have any huge weopons to hurt opponents, he relies more on consistency and a very solid baseline game. I think Murray would rather Shapo and Bautista than somebody like Berretini, Rublev etc.

Floppybits wrote: »
    A 5 setter for Kyrgios if he comes through this it will test his fitness. Imagine what a force he would be if put in 50% more effort off the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Any hope of Djockovic being stopped,

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Kyrgios is such a tool....

.... Murray has a very good draw ....

Kyrgios, ah, theres no point getting pi**ed about him, it is a pity to see such raw talent being 'wasted' but he generally doesn't hang around in tournaments long enough to get too annoying.

I'm afraid Murray is going to run out of fitness before running into someone who is better than him, but it's nice to see him back at it.

Federer doesn't look overly fit either, it will be a pity if (when) he is tepidly knocked out by some average player rather than going out in a blaze of glory to a Djokovic or some other worthy opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

lostcat wrote: »
    Kyrgios, ah, theres no point getting pi**ed about him, it is a pity to see such raw talent being 'wasted' but he generally doesn't hang around in tournaments long enough to get too annoying.

I'm afraid Murray is going to run out of fitness before running into someone who is better than him, but it's nice to see him back at it.

Federer doesn't look overly fit either, it will be a pity if (when) he is tepidly knocked out by some average player rather than going out in a blaze of glory to a Djokovic or some other worthy opponent.

I don't mind watching Kyrgios, his matches are interesting you just have to ignore all the crap. But what a waste of talent he is.

Maybe the rest will do Federer good and he is playing Gasquet today I would expect Fed to win that match.

C__MC wrote: »

maybe if he slips in the first week and gets a compound ankle break

or if he gets Covid assuming that he still hasn't gotten a vaccine but tested positive last year so most likely still has immunity

other than that he's a man on a mission and unlikely to have a bad off-day but it can of course happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you were to look at his opponents, you'd be hard pressed to identify anyone that you'd risk losing your money on, regardless of the odds on offer.

But, as we saw at the US last year, something else could happen.
    If one of his team got Covid, he'd have to withdraw? Same as Konta?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Very slim to nothing, he's as likely to be stopped by a non playing issue e.g. Covid issue in his camp or disqualified for some reason like in USO last year (all very highly unlikely) than by any of his opponents, it's very hard to see anyone even push him hard. Of course there's always a slim possibility that someone plays out of their skins and he has a complete off day (very rarely happens to him at GS level), even then he beats most opponents.

The first halfway serious opposition he might have could be Shapovalov in the semi-final. That's how undemanding his draw looks right now.

• Advertisement

Murray will beat him with that crowd and roof closed ....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Murray will beat him with that crowd and roof closed ....

Nadal might even accept a wildcard onto the semis, eh Hector?

Some results I missed today.. Karolina Pliskova gets a comprehensive win against Vekic. Decent result, I'd probably have expected Vekic to win that. Swiatek quietly making her way through the draw. Hoping she can make the fourth round, a match with Muguruza could be terrific. No guarantee Muguruza will make it though, very tough third round against Jabeur coming up.

Sebastian Korda into the third round to play Dan Evans, I'll be keeping a close eye on that. Baby Korda is a nifty little player, and still only 20.
    That Muguruza vs. Jabeur match should be on CC. Karolina Pliskova seems to have bounced back at Wimbledon, against all expectations. I too would have expected Vekic to really put it up to her.

For me, the pick of the women's matches today is Ostapenko vs. Kasatkina, a repeat of their dramatic Eastbourne QF 7 days ago. Kastakina is the seed, but Ostapenko is just ahead in the rankings, thanks to winning Eastbourne. There used to be some "needle" between them, but Kastakina played it down when asked about it this week, the interviewer comparing them to Tsitsipas and Medvedev. She said that since they hadn't played for nearly 4 years until the Eastbourne match, they'd had time to "detox" and grow up.

That Muguruza vs. Jabeur match should be on CC. Karolina Pliskova seems to have bounced back at Wimbledon, against all expectations. I too would have expected Vekic to really put it up to her.

For me, the pick of the women's matches today is Ostapenko vs. Kasatkina, a repeat of their dramatic Eastbourne QF 7 days ago. Kastakina is the seed, but Ostapenko is just ahead in the rankings, thanks to winning Eastbourne. There used to be some "needle" between them, but Kastakina played it down when asked about it this week, the interviewer comparing them to Tsitsipas and Medvedev. She said that since they hadn't played for nearly 4 years until the Eastbourne match, they'd had time to "detox" and grow up.

Ostapenko really played some nice stuff in Eastbourne, so much so that i even looked at the odds in lieu of having a small interest, but 20/1 couldn't tempt me. 6 dfs on her R1 match suggest her old achilles heel is more likely than not to come back and haunt her, her serving did seem so much tidier in Eastbourne. I went with outsider Golubic instead for the interest!

I assume that Ostapenko is still playing that streaky game-style or has she a more rounded game now?

Ostapenko really played some nice stuff in Eastbourne, so much so that i even looked at the odds in lieu of having a small interest, but 20/1 couldn't tempt me. 6 dfs on her R1 match suggest her old achilles heel is more likely than not to come back and haunt her, her serving did seem so much tidier in Eastbourne. I went with outsider Golubic instead for the interest!
    Golubic seems to have a nice game for grass, but her best performance to date at Wimbleodon is only R3. She plays Madison Brengle next, an arch-defender who beat Sofia Kenin yesterday, although from what I've heard, Kenin mostly beat herself.

I'm not a betting man, but 20/1 seems reasonable odds for Ostapenko, given her pedigree and recent form. I can understand why you wouldn't want to risk your hard-earned cash on her though.

6 double faults in a quick two-set win is nowhere near the worst that Ostapenko has done. I remember her once serving 5 in a single game (including 3 to go 0-40 down), and still win it. Wait until after today's match, if she wins.

Golubic seems to have a nice game for grass, but her best performance to date at Wimbleodon is only R3. She plays Madison Brengle next, an arch-defender who beat Sofia Kenin yesterday, although from what I've heard, Kenin mostly beat herself.

I'm not a betting man, but 20/1 seems reasonable odds for Ostapenko, given her pedigree and recent form. I can understand why you wouldn't want to risk your hard-earned cash on her though.

6 double faults in a quick two-set win is nowhere near the worst that Ostapenko has done. I remember her once serving 5 in a single game (including 3 to go 0-40 down), and still win it. Wait until after today's match, if she wins.

Oh man, I'm trying to remember an Osty game from within the last 12 months that might well have been the craziest I've ever witnessed for dfs, ues and just general bonkersness, it'll come to me in a minute!

I know 6 dfs doesn't sound that bad in relativity, but in a match with no real pressure, it's enough I think. In 5 matches last week she only served 8 in total, so maybe that's a better measure. If she can sustain that level of accuracy and controlled aggression then who knows? Would be good to see because we know talent not in doubt.

I assume that Ostapenko is still playing that streaky game-style or has she a more rounded game now?
    Her game has evolved somewhat, but she's still a big hitter at heart. It's the only way she knows how to win matches,

She played one really bad set at Eastbourne last week (1st against Kasatkina), but other than that played very consistently. However, given that she struggled to win two matches in a row for several months before winning Eastbourne (apart from a QF in Rome) ... who really knows? At least she should be confident. She can wipe the floor with a defensive player, or hit herself out of the match against them. She has twice blown up against Kasatkina, but won both meetings on grass, including last week.

Oh man, I'm trying to remember an Osty game from within the last 12 months that might well have been the craziest I've ever witnessed for dfs, ues and just general bonkersness, it'll come to me in a minute!

I know 6 dfs doesn't sound that bad in relativity, but in a match with no real pressure, it's enough I think. In 5 matches last week she only served 8 in total, so maybe that's a better measure. If she can sustain that level of accuracy and controlled aggression then who knows? Would be good to see because we know talent not in doubt.
    That sounds like a lot of her matches to be honest. :D

That sounds like a lot of her matches to be honest. :D

Ha, that is not a lie!

But it came to me anyway, it was v Petra Martic almost exactly 2 years ago in Birmingham when Ostapenko had 20 df, 70 ue and squandered 5 mps. I actually posted about it at the time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement