Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three men arrested after shocking incident involving bar staff on South William Stree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ineedeuro wrote: »

Ireland has a huge problem as I said before, but it's with the public. Not the Gardai

And certain politicians who dont know when to shut up, undermining gardai to play to their supporters.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Post of the thread right there

And fair fcuks to you for emigrating, I've managed it twice myself and I'm planning a third

I'll never understand why single people under 35 ever stay in Ireland, but in Dublin in particular

You’re leaving because of the violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Its not really the Gardai issue when caught and these guys go to court they get nothing 100 convictions... your honour his father left when he was 16 years old, it had a detrimental impact on his life.... Bla bla bla.. all BS . Just scum been scum. 10 convictions. 10 years mandatory.. there needs to be a mental head check when they go to so these criminal acts. At the moment it doesn't make any difference get caught dont get caught its all the same revolving door justice system. No justice for the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You’re leaving because of the violence?

People are leaving because of basic quality of life issues. Knackerism not being dealt with in our capital city is part of a long, long list of failures too numerous to mention that make this not a very attractive place to live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Its not really the Gardai issue when caught and these guys go to court they get nothing 100 convictions... your honour his father left when he was 16 years old, it had a detrimental impact on his life.... Bla bla bla.. all BS . Just scum been scum. 10 convictions. 10 years mandatory.. there needs to be a mental head check when they go to so these criminal acts. At the moment it doesn't make any difference get caught dont get caught its all the same revolving door justice system. No justice for the victims.

10?
    No chance at most 5.

Instead of demanding the next road we should be demanding a brand new jail to throw all these people into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They do. It gets nowhere. They were at it for years before I joined, they were at it for the near 10 years I was one, and they will be at it forever more. There will never be enough Gardai. Never.

Someone made a reference to Italian police a good few pages back, saying that the cops deal with drunk people/drug dealers with a heavy hand and swift justice, and they're always around, on the beat. They fail to mention that Italy has twice as many cops per 100,000 population than Ireland does.

They can't be everywhere, they can't do everything. I always see people throw the "but they've time for traffic offences/money collecting", as if that is any less of a crime compared to the actual non-crime of looking after a junkies welfare, probably again, for the umpteenth time, only to know it always ends the same and is a complete and utter waste of time.

If people want Gardai to do more policing, aside from the obvious to getting more Gardai, maybe leave them to do just policing. But no, the Garda has to be able to do everything, all at once, with impeccable standards, unwavering honesty and without making a single mistake while pleasing everyone at once. Totally possible. Shur it didn't nearly break me after 9 years.

It must be soul destroying with the revolving door courts and the solicitors creaming off your work.

People are leaving because of basic quality of life issues. Knackerism not being dealt with in our capital city is part of a long, long list of failures too numerous to mention that make this not a very attractive place to live.

Where’s the evidence that “people are leaving” and why isn’t it reflected in house prices or rent?

gazzer wrote: »
    Was out last night catching up with mates. We decided to get a bite to eat and after walking down Capel St we found a place with free seats outside.

In the 90 odd minutes we were there:

A couple who were falling around the place we're asking everybody having food for spare change.

Guy outside Centra in a wheelchair was shouting abuse at anybody walking by.

Now I now neither of these 2 things were violent, just a bit disruptive, however shortly after a guy joined the wheelchair guy and proceeded to follow random people down the straight shouting "Do you want a straightener" into their faces.

Just to clarify I wasn't scared or anything but I'm sure other people were and it wasn't pleasant.

On the flip side, we then went down to where Panti Bar and Nealons are and spent two hours there having a great time. Great atmosphere and not a hint of trouble.

Myself and the missus left a restaurant in Grand Canal Dock on Friday night and within 30 seconds we're accosted by a nuisance with a can in the hand. I told him I don't carry cash which I dont to which he decided to mouth off at me. Felt like firing I'm him into the the water. Anyway, I've come to expect its the normal when you are in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A few people who don't seem to be able to live with the fact that we have some social problems in Dublin are leaving, far more are coming here and the population of the Dublin area is supposed to expand by 400,000 by 2030 or something ridiculous like that. That would say to me that it's quite an attractive place to live.
    So a few people whingeing on the internet aren't really affecting statistics anyway when they go to live elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Theres been Knackerism in Dublin for centuries. Its what happens when you make families live in small flats in town. The kids have no green/play spaces, nowhere to play football and the like so end up on the streets, bored because there isnt enough space in a flat for a family to live comfortably in. The kids gets chucked out of the gaff for the day.

Its a crazy scenario having sub standard social housing 100m away from Grafton St and Henry St. No garden, no "road" to go out and play on. Just mischief. A city centre like Dublin is a very unheatlhy place for a kid to grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

10?
    No chance at most 5.

Instead of demanding the next road we should be demanding a brand new jail to throw all these people into.
    Your dead right, build a new prison which will create jobs, harden the justice system because the way it is presently doesn't deter the scumbags as it is. Then you will have people argue about the costs of it and throwing someone in prison doesn't really rehabilitate them. What's going on now clearly isn't working and unfortunately Dublin is now the biggest kip in the country. Was in Cork yesterday and what a nice friendly place in comparison. Saw 3 young lads in the goose jackets walking up a street letting off a few random shouts but that was the extent of, other then that it was extremely civil down there

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I told him I don't carry cash which I dont to which he decided to mouth off at me. .

To be fair people who don't use cash annoy the fook out of me as well :pac: I have better things to be doing than waiting behind some clown in Centra who has to enter a Pin to buy a 1.20 can of Coke rather than just paying the cash and moving on.

10?
    No chance at most 5.

Look. 5 wouldn't happen. People would protest. At the moment you have people with over 100 convictions walking free. This is routine . So 10 convictions and your innfor 10 years would be a good compromise. Fear not scumbags wouldn't be long getting those convictions. As for a new jail. More bunk beds in the ones we have. Pack them in. Rotation breakfasts lunches etc. Its not s holiday camp. Criminal's have a great life behind bars .. Great food. Netflix.. free everything.. talking to the lads everyday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

To be fair people who don't use cash annoy the fook out of me as well :pac: I have better things to be doing than waiting behind some clown in Centra who has to enter a Pin to buy a 1.20 can of Coke rather than just paying the cash and moving on.

Inpatient no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Surely it’s quicker to tap a card than wait for change or find 1:20 in your pocket ?

Non contact quick pay possible no need to enter code

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I wish the Dublin posters would stop calling Our Capitals City Centre...Town... Just stop it. (half joking/half in earnest)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Any update on the three who were arrested?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I wish the Dublin posters would stop calling Our Capitals City Centre...Town... Just stop it. (half joking/half in earnest)

I have called it town since I was a chisler and still will call it town .I have no intention of going to town anytime soon mind you .

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Just been released and each given a council house.

• Advertisement

SNNUS wrote: »
    Just been released and each given a council house.

Probably all have public funded housing as is..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Is that a complaint from 1996?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

fvp4 wrote:
    Where’s the evidence that “people are leaving†and why isn’t it reflected in house prices or rent?

I would imagine a lot of house buyers are being outbid by councils for homes to house these scrotes.

Also the rules where a % of new homes built must be given for social housing doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Yes, they have ADHD and depression and are cuttently drafting their letter of apology for the court with the help of their tax payer funded solicitor.

Lets not kid ourselves either. If the Gardai showed up to these lads, you would have 100 cameras focused on what the Gardai are doing, then a big discussion online with loads of people complaining about how they reacted.

Look at what happened after the kids of them taking the little s**theads off the train that time. All the do gooders telling everyone they should have done this/that. Ahh look at the poor wee lads should they are doing nothing wrong.

Ireland has a huge problem as I said before, but it's with the public. Not the Gardai

Ah heoooor leave eh out

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pale rider

The instigators are easily recognised, put a couple of local detectives on it and they will each be identified quickly.

Charge them with affray and violent disorder, those over 18 years face the judge, the younger guy that used the bottle looks under 18 which means the JLO process most likely, useless in my view.

I’m sick of the legal process giving breaks to criminals who have in some cases hundreds of convictions.

Also, Jail should mean jail time not a revolving door.

I’m giving the City a miss until there is some law and order present.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

pale rider wrote: »
    I’m giving the City a miss until there is some law and order present.

Seriously man there were 1000s of people enjoying themselves in the centre last night. Don't let a couple of fights put you off, there have been fights every weekend in Dublin since before we were born.
    There's some amount of hysteria about all this, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's town...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Rolllin' down to Dubbaalin town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

10?
    No chance at most 5.

That’s how bad things are now. I agree with this, get this metro built and paid for... then another prison.

The priority I’d like to see is a facility for about 400 people... run news stories, documentaries about its building, put the frighteners on the scumbags.... have a judge.... “ now the limitations placed on us regarding sentencing and adequate and proportionate punishments have been lifted by the building of this new prison, “.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/college-student-avoids-jail-for-one-punch-attack-that-left-victim-lucky-to-be-alive-1.4597402

The victim in this assault was according to experts...” lucky to be alive “...

Lucky to be alive ? Judge hands down a suspended 3 year sentence.... so a dude nearly kills a person, here , “continue to enjoy your freedom”... get rid of these things masquerading as judges and replace them with judges who when issuing sentences do so with the wellbeing and safety of the public as the priority not the wellbeing of criminals as a priority...

Again with lots more free jail cells the judge could still give an inappropriate sentence like above but with more regulation of judges and more ability for them to jail violent criminals....it’s a safer country for the rest of us.

Advertisement