Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three men arrested after shocking incident involving bar staff on South William Stree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

People who think Dublin is bad compared to loads of other European Cities really haven’t experienced living abroad.
    I will say that Dublin does a poor job of policing the tourist areas vs other cities but overall it’s really not bad. Yes we need to clamp down on these teenage scumbag gangs and drug treatment centres in tourist areas is just bonkers although in fairness there’s no perfect place for it.

Like how most foreigners don’t see the WhatsApp videos on the streets on Dublin, we don’t see the WhatsApp videos from the streets of Barcelona for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If a certain nonce loving judge gets this case the young lads will probably get off scott-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

IngazZagni wrote: »
    People who think Dublin is bad compared to loads of other European Cities really haven’t experienced living abroad.
    I will say that Dublin does a poor job of policing the tourist areas vs other cities but overall it’s really not bad. Yes we need to clamp down on these teenage scumbag gangs and drug treatment centres in tourist areas is just bonkers although in fairness there’s no perfect place for it.

Like how most foreigners don’t see the WhatsApp videos on the streets on Dublin, we don’t see the WhatsApp videos from the streets of Barcelona for example.

I had an easy time in Barcelona myself but I have heard many times of Irish people getting a lot of hassle walking around

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Mimon wrote: »
    Less excuses, more policing needed.

If they are so short staffed in the city centre the Garda unions should keep at the government until they provide more.

You've Mimon and Potential-Monke telling you how it is. One of whom seems to have left the Gardaí after 9 years, and who's posts are very informative.

Yet your answer is...still blame the Gardaí?

How about, we all keep at the government, and our local representatives?

When was the last time you read a newspaper with investigative journalists asking what percent of offences are committed by those with previous convictions?

How many court remands does one single offence get?

2 weeks ago there was criticism from politicians for the presence of Garda Public Order Units.

You think those politicians didn't have a quiet ear with the Commissioner and apply pressure to have them withdrawn?

Where are those politicians now? And the journalists who were happy to cover a negative story about the Gardaí 2 weeks ago? All silent.

Your attitude is the equivalent of me going up to a nurse in James' as she's treating someone and telling her she's a disgrace because of our inadequate health care system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If a certain nonce loving judge gets this case the young lads will probably get off scott-free.

You'd need Phil Collins for a bit of nonce sense without the nonsense

brass2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had an easy time in Barcelona myself but I have heard many times of Irish people getting a lot of hassle walking around

There are no teenagers fighting in Barcelona but there are hookers grabbing out of you, pick pockets galore, people trying to rip you off selling fake drugs, hawkers, all sorts. Madrid is the same. Still great cities though. Lisbon has all those things too, every 20 seconds gypsies are trying to sell you fake drugs, it's annoying but that's just how it is.

Get Real wrote: »
    2 weeks ago there was criticism from politicians for the presence of Garda Public Order Units.

You think those politicians didn't have a quiet ear with the Commissioner and apply pressure to have them withdrawn?

Where are those politicians now? And the journalists who were happy to cover a negative story about the Gardaí 2 weeks ago? All silent.

People criticised the fact that they closed entire streets down and moved on the whole crowd instead of actually policing the crowd and getting rid of trouble makers. If there were Garda there among gatherings, you can spot trouble makers a mile away they all wear the same uniform, and they could be dealt with appropriately. Why ruin the fun for everyone because of a few teenagers?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wish the Dublin posters would stop calling Our Capitals City Centre...Town... Just stop it. (half joking/half in earnest)

I saw the phillo documentary in the cinema last night and smiled when one of his daughters who hasn’t lived here since she was about 5 recalled trips in the car but couldn’t distinguish if it was “driving into town or London “ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There are no teenagers fighting in Barcelona but there are hookers grabbing out of you, pick pockets galore, people trying to rip you off selling fake drugs, hawkers, all sorts. Madrid is the same. Still great cities though. Lisbon has all those things too, every 20 seconds gypsies are trying to sell you fake drugs, it's annoying but that's just how it is.

Love Lisbon, but that drug thing is irritating. However they do usually quickly leave you alone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People criticised the fact that they closed entire streets down and moved on the whole crowd instead of actually policing the crowd and getting rid of trouble makers. If there were Garda there among gatherings, you can spot trouble makers a mile away they all wear the same uniform, and they could be dealt with appropriately. Why ruin the fun for everyone because of a few teenagers?

It’s like in a job, and I saw this...one guy is late twice a week' habitually... boss sends an email... telling employees that unless time keeping reverts to 100% compliance and adherence, the pay review will be affected...

Then... “company vehicles are to be returned fueled, clean and keys in lockbox, failure to do so will result in...” everyone knows the ONE guy trashing the van, not fueling it, and leaving keys in his coat pocket...but ...

Easier to punish everyone then it is to discharge your efforts in a responsible manner just dealing with those NON compliant ...

Childish... like the teacher in school, “ if anybody talks during the test, PE is cancelled...”... little Frank get caught talking... the class suffers... why ? Because the teacher, the person in charge is a lazy useless article.. and will not deal with the offending individuals..

Gardai need to deal with The troublemakers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Get Real wrote: »
    You've Mimon and Potential-Monke telling you how it is. One of whom seems to have left the Gardaí after 9 years, and who's posts are very informative.

Yet your answer is...still blame the Gardaí?

How about, we all keep at the government, and our local representatives?

When was the last time you read a newspaper with investigative journalists asking what percent of offences are committed by those with previous convictions?

How many court remands does one single offence get?

Your attitude is the equivalent of me going up to a nurse in James' as she's treating someone and telling her she's a disgrace because of our inadequate health care system.

So only ex Gardai/Gardai can have an opinion here? Would be a be very short thread.

As a previous poster said, you could walk around Dublin all day and not see a Guard walking around, ridiculous.

Yes the politicians abdicate their responsibility as the do on a whole host of other issues so as not to cause controversy but the Guards also are abdicating their responsibility by not having a presence where it is easily predicted there will be trouble.

What is more of a priority than keeping people safe from scumbag thugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A couple of hours getting the bare soles of their feet beaten with canes would put manners on them

• Registered Users Posts: 35 danger_here

The Nal wrote: »
    Theres been Knackerism in Dublin for centuries. Its what happens when you make families live in small flats in town. The kids have no green/play spaces, nowhere to play football and the like so end up on the streets, bored because there isnt enough space in a flat for a family to live comfortably in. The kids gets chucked out of the gaff for the day.

Its a crazy scenario having sub standard social housing 100m away from Grafton St and Henry St. No garden, no "road" to go out and play on. Just mischief. A city centre like Dublin is a very unheatlhy place for a kid to grow up.

That would be fine, except that you'll find exactly the same w@nkers in Crumlin, Fettercairn, Neilstown and Coolock. Having a garden and a field has nothing to do with it. Scum will be scum. I've grew up in Drimnagh and Ballyfermot myself btw so well qualified to give this opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

It does seem that the judges are scared. I do think they should be allowed to wear balaclavas and their identities never revealed,or maybe fly in judges from different countries (half joking/half in earnest post)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 danger_here

IngazZagni wrote: »

Other European cities can be gritty and dirty, but generally you won't find any trouble unless you actively go looking for it. The same cannot be said for walking through parts of Dublin, or walking by the wrong person at the wrong time.

Other European cities can be gritty and dirty, but generally you won't find any trouble unless you actively go looking for it. The same cannot be said for walking through parts of Dublin, or walking by the wrong person at the wrong time.

But that's not true for Dublin either. Are people who go into the centre regularly like myself getting attacked all the time or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It does seem that the judges are scared. I do think they should be allowed to wear balaclavas and their identities never revealed,or maybe fly in judges from different countries (half joking/half in earnest post)
    No*an is something else though. He is the only judge I've ever heard of who has a petition going to boot him out.

But that's not true for Dublin either. Are people who go into the centre regularly like myself getting attacked all the time or something?

No you're not, but like myself you're unlikely to say talk a stroll down through Summerhill half cut or park your car in Basin street. Somebody just moved from Bratislava, is unlikely to know the difference between Summerhill and Rathmines, for example.

The fact is you're far more likely to encounter random acts of violence in Dublin than other comparable cities, even in places like Naples you generally won't get glassed for ignoring a junkie. I happen to live across the street from one of the largest drug parks in Europe, Görli in Berlin, and you'd never have any hassle. Germany has far rougher looking and filthy dirty areas than Dublin, but in the end the cops are everywhere all the time and feralism doesn't really exist, even in the supposed ghettos. There is organized crime definitely, but that's nothing to do with teenage lads acting the hard man, as in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That would be fine, except that you'll find exactly the same w@nkers in Crumlin, Fettercairn, Neilstown and Coolock. Having a garden and a field has nothing to do with it. Scum will be scum. I've grew up in Drimnagh and Ballyfermot myself btw so well qualified to give this opinion.

You'll find people who smoke and never got lung cancer.

That doesn't mean that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Denny61

I personally would not feel safe walking the streets of Dublin..I'm living down the country side .. villages near me ..can meet lovely local people....no threat to limb or life .. Go up to Dublin..its like been thrown in to a cess pool of lifes worst evil people..in saying that. A lot of decent people live there but get the feeling they rather move away and bring their friends with them..I feel sorry for them.all those celebrities.politicians who say it's a lovely place to walk .are living in. A different world.they drive in in their flashy car's go to their posh restaurants. And go home to their .big houses With all security..ah shur Dublin is a lovely place alright..

• Advertisement

No you're not, but like myself you're unlikely to say talk a stroll down through Summerhill half cut or park your car in Basin street. Somebody just moved from Bratislava, is unlikely to know the difference between Summerhill and Rathmines, for example.

The fact is you're far more likely to encounter random acts of violence in Dublin than other comparable cities, even in places like Naples you generally won't get glassed for ignoring a junkie. I happen to live across the street from one of the largest drug parks in Europe, Görli in Berlin, and you'd never have any hassle. Germany has far rougher looking and filthy dirty areas than Dublin, but in the end the cops are everywhere all the time and feralism doesn't really exist, even in the supposed ghettos. There is organized crime definitely, but that's nothing to do with teenage lads acting the hard man, as in Dublin.

I've walked or cycled through Summerhill loads of times on the way home from a night out.
    Do you know anyone who's been glassed for ignoring a junkie? Why do we get millions of tourists to Dublin every year if everyone is being attacked all the time?
    Do i live in some parallel universe where Dublin is actually quite safe or something?

Denny61 wrote: »
    I personally would not feel safe walking the streets of Dublin..I'm living down the country side .. villages near me ..can meet lovely local people....no threat to limb or life .. Go up to Dublin..its like been thrown in to a cess pool of lifes worst evil people..in saying that. A lot of decent people live there but get the feeling they rather move away and bring their friends with them..I feel sorry for them.all those celebrities.politicians who say it's a lovely place to walk .are living in. A different world.they drive in in their flashy car's go to their posh restaurants. And go home to their .big houses With all security..ah shur Dublin is a lovely place alright..

You better stay where you are if you're scared so.
    You'll find Dublin and it's surrounds has a bustling bar and restaurant scene, people meeting up with friends to have fun. All 1.odd millions of us. Apart from a few hysterical people on the internet people live their lives with no fear of being attacked here.
    I can't belive the hysterics ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

As someone who was in the city 5 days Week, mixed days and very mixed times, nearly everyday there was something going on to avoid, there were junkies or scammers hassling for money, abuse from scrotes etc. So yes it is happening.

I'm also glad for you that you follow your statistics and think it's a great place, but I don't need to statistic to tell me what I've experienced.

The difference to me is black and white, I'm near a city here where I can go to a 2am , grab sushi and not have to watch my back, to feel safe walking around downtown is something that will take a very long time for Dublin to sort out.

And yes the population of Dublin is growing and is an issue for housing, but look at the people going there, Brazilians from worse off places than most who are living in a small flat with 6 people to a room. It's better than a shanty town for sure where they have less chance of being killed everyday sure, but that still doesn't make it good just because it could be worse.

Again, as Kermit said, it's not just about that, it is a long list of failures that country has developed over time, not being rewarded for working but rode instead, and when you don't work everything is handed to you from free money, cheap rent and free medical. They are handed everything and have never contributed to society in return. But of course why should they, maybe they are the smart ones !

But all I'll say is now where I am I'm in a very decent place to live that doesn't cost a lot, I've a very well paying job that give me full health benefits along with other perks such as pension etc. So for once I'm being rewarded for working.

Again there's more but that's how I've lost hope in Ireland. I've been working since 18 years of age and got no thanks for it, only paid PAYE, PRSI, USC, pension levy tax etc. And from that all I've ever gotten was a free dental check up once a year. Or a free eye test once every 2 years. Meanwhile the scum on social can go to hospital every weekend and not have to pay a cent ! It's a joke shop.

Quite honestly there needs to be a government that will go in there and turn that system upside down. It's not working and the country is in serious debt thanks to it

I've walked or cycled through Summerhill loads of times on the way home from a night out.
    Do you know anyone who's been glassed for ignoring a junkie? Why do we get millions of tourists to Dublin every year if everyone is being attacked all the time?
    Do i live in some parallel universe where Dublin is actually quite safe or something?

It depends where you go. There are plenty of parts of Dublin I love, and there are parts I would avoid. Tourism numbers have nothing to do with perceived crime. Otherwise nobody would go near Barcelona or Rome lol

Anybody who grew up in working class areas of Dublin in the 1980s and 1990s generally is not surprised by the way things have turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Don't think I've ever had any trouble in all my years in Dublin. The biggest inconveniences were usually just junkies hassling me for a few euros. There does seem to be a lot of proper skangers around the city centre these days but never had any problems myself.

As someone who was in the city 5 days Week, mixed days and very mixed times, nearly everyday there was something going on to avoid, there were junkies or scammers hassling for money, abuse from scrotes etc. So yes it is happening.

I'm also glad for you that you follow your statistics and think it's a great place, but I don't need to statistic to tell me what I've experienced.

The difference to me is black and white, I'm near a city here where I can go to a 2am , grab sushi and not have to watch my back, to feel safe walking around downtown is something that will take a very long time for Dublin to sort out.

And yes the population of Dublin is growing and is an issue for housing, but look at the people going there, Brazilians from worse off places than most who are living in a small flat with 6 people to a room. It's better than a shanty town for sure where they have less chance of being killed everyday sure, but that still doesn't make it good just because it could be worse.

Again, as Kermit said, it's not just about that, it is a long list of failures that country has developed over time, not being rewarded for working but rode instead, and when you don't work everything is handed to you from free money, cheap rent and free medical. They are handed everything and have never contributed to society in return. But of course why should they, maybe they are the smart ones !

But all I'll say is now where I am I'm in a very decent place to live that doesn't cost a lot, I've a very well paying job that give me full health benefits along with other perks such as pension etc. So for once I'm being rewarded for working.

Again there's more but that's how I've lost hope in Ireland. I've been working since 18 years of age and got no thanks for it, only paid PAYE, PRSI, USC, pension levy tax etc. And from that all I've ever gotten was a free dental check up once a year. Or a free eye test once every 2 years. Meanwhile the scum on social can go to hospital every weekend and not have to pay a cent ! It's a joke shop.

Quite honestly there needs to be a government that will go in there and turn that system upside down. It's not working and the country is in serious debt thanks to it

You're talking about tax and dentists now, why?
    I can also get food at 2am, like everyone else does, and not have any bother. I don't know if you're afraid of your own shadow or had some really bad luck or both.
    I don't know anyone who feels unsafe in Dublin.

You're talking about tax and dentists now, why?
    I can also get food at 2am, like everyone else does, and not have any bother. I don't know if you're afraid of your own shadow or had some really bad luck or both.
    I don't know anyone who feels unsafe in Dublin.

Because one of your posts suggested people left Dublin because we're afraid and that's not the case. I was giving you some of the reasons why people leave.

No I'm not afraid of my own Shadow, thanks for asking.

I used to think that it was a culchie thing hating on Dublin, but honestly having lived down the country myself for a few years I do get what the Langer's are talking about and honestly if I ever end up moving back to Ireland, I'll be doing my best to live and work down the country.

Because one of your posts suggested people left Dublin because we're afraid and that's not the case. I was giving you some of the reasons why people leave.

No I'm not afraid of my own Shadow, thanks for asking.

I used to think that it was a culchie thing hating on Dublin, but honestly having lived down the country myself for a few years I do get what the Langer's are talking about and honestly if I ever end up moving back to Ireland, I'll be doing my best to live and work down the country.

It sounds like you've got issues with nerves or anxiety if you're in fear in Dublin seriously.
    You get a pile on for Dublin hating and serious hyperbole from the usual people on this site any time something happens, the reality is the city is packed with people enjoying their lives and not being bothered.

It sounds like you've got issues with nerves or anxiety if you're in fear in Dublin seriously.

Again, I was giving you a list of reasons why people leave, I'm not afraid of the place, I'm fed up with it for a hundred reasons.

But look we'll leave it there, I thought I was striking up a conversation with an intelligent person, clearly I was wrong, you're on the ignore list now sir. Good day !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Being fed up with something doesn't have to mean you are in fear of it. It is hardly that difficult a concept to understand

Advertisement