Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three men arrested after shocking incident involving bar staff on South William Stree

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I saw that video, two Gardai arrive and the very first interaction they have is some gob****e recording them wanting to know why it 20 minutes to arrive .

Thought it was a reasonable question myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You don’t have to hire more at all.
    Just take 4 from out-lying areas or employ them on overtime and detail them for O’Connell Street.
    What’s bizarre about having a presence on the main street of our capital?
    If there was a big match anywhere there would be a Garda presence surely.

They've taken gardai away from outlying areas, particularly rural. Crime increases in those areas then too

It's not simply policing that needs to be done but something serious in the judicial and rehabilitation side of things too need radical overhauls

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

So our number of Gardai per capita being among the lowest in the EU is not relevant?

I thought I saw quite a few posts in this thread saying how safe other EU countries are. These countries appear to have more police pet capita. Makes sense.

You've taken my argument up wrong.

I was making a point that there are more than there have ever been and it's still not enough.

I was pre-empting the usual suspects who will use the oul 'there are more Gardai than ever' argument.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    They've been recruiting since 2013 after the moratorium and they've took on a lot of civil servants to do the desk bound duties so they should have more numbers available to patrol the streets when needed.

Yes, but I think 5 years or so without any recruitment seems to be hard to catch up on, numbers must have dropped dramatically in those years.
    They are speeding up the training, so it takes less time before they are on the streets.
    I'm not sure whether that's a good thing.......

How dare the Gardai have other matters to deal with.

• Advertisement

2 of them driving around St Anne's Park yesterday morning, obviously expecting trouble on Father's Day when loads of families were out enjoying the park on a fine day. Picking and choosing their battles.

I genuinely believe they do pick and choose their battles from what I've seen. In fairness, tough work getting hands dirty with some of the creatures in the city centre but it's part of their job and they shouldn't shirk the responsibility.

Because gardai are not the fire service.
    They are not sitting waiting for a call, they are on calls all the time, so calls are placed in a queue. If thats how long it took a garda to get there, that means they were all dispatched to other calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I think its reasonable to think you'd have a regular Garda presence on O Connell street given its our main street and that everyone knows theres a high number of junkies in the area. Theres a station on the street and there used to be several guards across the street outside the GPO.

Just to point out, if you put for example two Garda on that street they come across this and arrest the a few heads. The street now has no Garda and them two Gardaí will be tided up for a minimum of a few hours, due to paperwork processing. There is nothing to stop another brawl happening!

What is needed is the paperwork massively downsized/streamlined and the process dramatically improved to get Garda back out on the street ASAP after an arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why would you think gardai from Kevin street would be at a street fight in O Connell street?
    Unless back up is required by at scene gardai?

There were 7 garda stations within 5km. Not one of them could apparently spare a Gardai for nearly half an hour following numerous reports of a brawl on the main street of the Capital.

Well able to make a complete nuisance of themselves asking people where they were doing their shopping over the last 16 months though.

I genuinely believe they do pick and choose their battles from what I've seen. In fairness, tough work getting hands dirty with some of the creatures in the city centre but it's part of their job and they shouldn't shirk the responsibility.

You do realise that the gardai driving around St Anne's park, were stationed in that locality?
    The locals there deserve a police presence, don't you think?
    Those gardai are not stationed in the city, therefore, they do not attend calls in the city. This appears to me to be basic stuff, maybe people really don't understand?

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »
    How dare the Gardai have other matters to deal with.

There's exactly the attitude. So entrenched in a culture of absolution of blame the Gardai can't even see what's wrong when society itself is crying out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

‘Twould be great to see a minibus full of Public Order Unit guards parked up permanently in the city centre with the pepper spray, big batons, and a licence to come down hard when the Lugs Branigan signal is sent up.

Could have “go or you are coming” painted on the side of the van.

Not only would I be happy to see my taxes paying for it, I’d approve a bonus payment to the unit for each and every scumbag left with a life altering injury that would effectively end future scumbaggery.

I saw that video, two Gardai arrive and the very first interaction they have is some gob****e recording them wanting to know why it 20 minutes to arrive .

Accountability and transparency. Exactly why Drew Harris was brought in. Time for the Gardai to step up to the standards required of them in 2021.

pioneerpro wrote: »
    There were 7 garda stations within 5km. Not one of them could apparently spare a Gardai for nearly half an hour following numerous reports of a brawl on the main street of the Capital.

Well able to make a complete nuisance of themselves asking people where they were doing their shopping over the last 16 months though.

There you are now, you're second sentences makes sense.......

Notwithstanding your own personal issues with AGS, how in the world do you think gardai in Kevin street should know about a fight in O Connell st, unless the gardai at scene look for extra members?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

On Saturday there was some protest anti maskers etc
    Here's what was around the corner waiting for those protesters.
    https://ibb.co/gjsxn3b
    There's defo enough guards when not needed

You do realise that the gardai driving around St Anne's park, were stationed in that locality?
    Those gardai are not stationed in the city, therefore, they do not attend calls in the city. This appears to me to be basic stuff, maybe people really don't understand?

I understand, but I also understand resources are applied at times where not needed. St Anne's is about 5/6km from the city. If the force is not resourced properly they need to be agile.

Same go's for the guards I see on the beat in pairs around Donnybrook. St Anne's would need it more.

Anyway the crux of it is the guards are not resourced properly.

There's exactly the attitude. So entrenched in a culture of absolution of blame the Gardai can't even see what's wrong when society itself is crying out about it.

So you believe that when gardai are dealing with one call, they should drop that call for a fight in O Connell street?
    What if it was your mother, who was a victim of crime? Would you be happy if they told her they were leaving her because a couple of scrotes were fighting somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Accountability and transparency. Exactly why Drew Harris was brought in. Time for the Gardai to step up to the standards required of them in 2021.

No its not , its some clown recording them , hoping for a reaction, thinking he'll stick it up on social media for a bit of attention.
    You would like to think he had the common sense to say to the Gardai that he has a recording of those muppets fighting.

I understand, but I also understand resources are applied at times where not needed. St Anne's is about 5/6km from the city. If the force is not resourced properly they need to be agile.

Same go's for the guards I see on the beat in pairs around Donnybrook. St Anne's would need it more.

Anyway the crux of it is the guards are not resourced properly.

So, in your opinion, people living in donnybrook don't deserve to have a police presence but St.Anne's Park does?

There you are now, you're second sentences makes sense.......

Notwithstanding your own personal issues with AGS, how in the world do you think gardai in Kevin street should know about a fight in O Connell st, unless the gardai at scene look for extra members?

No you're absolutely right. 7 stations full of Gardai, in the middle of the day, had far more important things to be doing then addressing that incident on O'Connell Street. And they were absolutely right to be adversarial and to start escalating it with the people impacted when they did eventually stroll up.

Great optics for public policing and a valuable insight into where the priorities of the organisation lie, as articulated by the rank and file, and their attitude towards any accountability or their public service remit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No its not , its some clown recording them , hoping for a reaction, thinking he'll stick it up on social media for a bit of attention.
    You would like to think he had the common sense to say to the Gardai that he has a recording of those muppets fighting.

How was he a clown?, he recorded a fight on our main street and asked a reasonable question of the guards who eventually turned up.

No you're absolutely right. 7 stations full of Gardai, in the middle of the day, had far more important things to be doing then addressing that incident on O'Connell Street.

It has been explained to you, that those gardai are policing different areas, and are not aware of anything in different areas unless it's an urgent serious call.
    Do you think they are psychic?
    But you don't care about the actual facts, you just want to shout LOUD THINGS ABOUT GARDAI BEING USELESS

How was he a clown?, he recorded a fight on our main street and asked a reasonable question of the guards who eventually turned up.

If an ambulance turned up at the same as the Gardai would he have questioned the paramedics?

He would in his fcuk, Gardai are supposed to be omnipresent but other services get a pass. 'Ah but they're so busy'...yeah so are the Gardai.

So you believe that when gardai are dealing with one call, they should drop that call for a fight in O Connell street?
    What if it was your mother, who was a victim of crime? Would you be happy if they told her they were leaving her because a couple of scrotes were fighting somewhere else?

What if it was YOUR mother who got knocked and broke a hip on O'Connell Street following the abysmal response time involved in the incident at hand. You'd absolve everyone of blame or responsibility based on some abstract assessment of what priorities they may have had that day?

Strawmen work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Why can't these Gardai then do some police work in the St Anne's vicinity and fine all the illegally parked cars in the area? They'd rather sit in their car and drive around a park at 11am on a Sunday morning. Could they not do this journey on a bicycle instead of bringing a car into the park? Where were they when there were gangs of people drinking in the park and leaving rubbish behind them for the past few months? I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with their drive around the park yesterday, other than wasting time and petrol.

You're right.
    Those gardai should have stopped and spoken to that civilian, explaining the call they had just come from that prevented them from being at that fight within 30 seconds of it kicking off.

They should have taken their time also, make.sure that particular civilian was aware of what had delayed them. Probably worry.about the row after.........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They need more civilians in admin rolls and doing paperwork and data input etc
    More Gardai trained in crowd control and a special unit recruited and trained for dealing with feral youth in our cities
    I lived in Berlin and you had armed Police walking the streets and none of this nonsense carry on with no one in control
    The police were in control not the young scumbags who roam the streets

Why can't these Gardai then do some police work in the St Anne's vicinity and fine all the illegally parked cars in the area? They'd rather sit in their car and drive around a park at 11am on a Sunday morning. Could they not do this journey on a bicycle instead of bringing a car into the park? Where were they when there were gangs of people drinking in the park and leaving rubbish behind them for the past few months? I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with their drive around the park yesterday, other than wasting time and petrol.

How do you know they didn't fine the cars?

Witcher wrote: »
    If an ambulance turned up at the same as the Gardai would he have questioned the paramedics?

He would in his fcuk, Gardai are supposed to be omnipresent but other services get a pass. 'Ah but they're so busy'...yeah so are the Gardai.

I must have missed the 50 page thread about the ambulance services systemic corruption and their lack of presence during a time Dublin is gone actively feral - whilst simultaneously being the overbearing and draconian enforcers of 'the law as we feel like it' while manning checkpoints and prowling beauty spots over the last 16 months.

Paramedics are about as blameless an entity in civic society as one could imagine. The Gardai? Even by the standards of their own governing body, decidely less so.

To suggest equivalence is just indicative of how low you'll stoop in a debate to convince yourself you've made a salient point.

• Advertisement

Ok, so, a lot of issues here!

Firstly, I can guarantee a call to the station with regards to illegally parked cars will result in a lot of.fines being given out. Then of course, a lot of complaints from people who received the fines.

Gardai have to attend and pass a training course in order to ride a bicycle in work, I kid you not. No course? No drivey bikey.

I would imagine what they were trying to achieve by driving through in their car, was for people to realise that gardai patrol the area, therefore the general public will be less inclined to park illegally, leave.rubbish around the place, or sit drinking in the park.

I dunno, general, preventative behaviour
    #shrugs#

Advertisement