Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brass shavings?

• 18-06-2021 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Random question - does anyone know where I can buy brass shavings? 200g or so I think will be enough

Watch related I promise! Maybe onshoring more things to "made in Ireland" at my own workshop…

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Etsy have loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Thanks Fitz - bought it from eBay in the end. I was wondering if there were any local irish options rather than international ones - but I guess it is a pretty "weird" item to purchase.

Care to venture a guess of why brass shavings would be needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Thanks Fitz - bought it from eBay in the end. I was wondering if there were any local irish options rather than international ones - but I guess it is a pretty "weird" item to purchase.

Care to venture a guess of why brass shavings would be needed?

Bluing screws ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

50% right - bluing indeed - but want to try it at hands ultimately (this is for model 3 Sólás Eclipse)... I will literally order a bag of screws and start bluing them too to get the temperature control correct (doing it the traditional, traditional way of alcohol burner rather than electric oven or blowtorch...)

Worst case scenario - I have an outdoor barbecue set (and lots of spare brass filings).

Edit: so if you see an adverts ad up for brass filings in a few weeks' time you'll know how my experiment went :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you get down to brass tacks, the shavings should be just on your left...:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement