Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Prime Day 2021 - Monday 21st & Tuesday 22nd June

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can someone with Prime do me a favour and check the final price on this?

Heater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, in your example, UK sale price is 39.99. Irish VAT on the non sale price is 17.25 and you're being charged 57.24 which is the difference between the two of them.

It seems to work for any example I've seen here. I think you should have paid 41 for yours but it really looks like however their calculation is in the background, that it's adding the Irish VAT from the non sale price on to the sale price with UK VAT already on it.

I agree with you. The price we pay should by 3% than listed amazon UK/GBP price due to difference in VAT rates (e.g item for £120 would be £100 Ex UK VAT + 23% Irish VAT = £123.)

Amazon appear to be calculating Irish VAT on initial list price incl UK VAT and adding this to the lightening price EX VAT. For Example, one item I looked at is currently for sale for £100, down from £200 RRP.

Order Summary
    Items: £166.66
    Postage & Packing: £0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £47.96
    Total: £214.62
    Promotion Applied: -£66.67
    Order Total: £147.95

Original list price £200 * 1.23 (Irish VAT) = £46 (assumed to be 47.96 above).
    Order total = Lightening price incl UK VAT of £100 + 47.96 Irish VAT = 147.96

So

1. they are not deducting UK VAT from the order price, and
    2. they are calculating Irish VAT on the original list price instead of the reduced lightening price

They really have made a balls of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

fritzelly wrote: »

Heater

£59.16 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭jos22

Heater

GBP 63.61
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 14.63
    Total: GBP 78.24
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 19.08
    Order Total: GBP 59.16

Change payment total to EUR 70.30. By checking this box, you have the option to pay in your card currency for eligible orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Heater

£59.16

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I assume based on your conversations there is zero chance of this being fixed in time...

The agents dont understand the differences between the VAT Vs Import duties.

So the apple watch 6 blue that was 299 costing about 350-360 or something due to this VAT issue.

I still managed to get 44mm Watch SE like new for 225e all in last night which not bad as i had 200 pounds in vouchers burning a hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thanks everyone - so good deal then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Heater

£59.16

edit: very slow response !!

the easy solution for amazon is make primeday sales exclusive to UK customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

jos22 wrote: »

Have a look at the tweet I shared from Amazon on the previous page, they've confirmed that we're eligible for the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

jos22 wrote: »

Or sort their system out.

They take membership from us, why not get the numbers right?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

jos22 wrote:

It's worldwide though. Uk would be a small market compared to the rest of the world

Caranica wrote:
    Have a look at the tweet I shared from Amazon on the previous page, they've confirmed that we're eligible for the prices.

Order whatever you want. Obviously anything charged incorrectly has to be refunded.

Caranica wrote: »

saw that, just saying for them, the easy way out just to ignore the problem by restricting the sale to the UK

Soarer wrote: »
    Or sort their system out.

They take membership from us, why not get the numbers right?!

we should get the right price, but amazon doesn't care, Irish members get less from Prime than those in the UK in other areas, so restricting sales wouldn't be a surprise move from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Ideo wrote: »
    £59.16 for me

Just checked £49.16 for me.

meathman0 wrote: »
    Just checked £49.16 for me.

You have a £10 voucher from the small businesses promo you haven't used yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭faolteam

I have a friend in Belfast going to get a firestick and ear buds sent to her, will there be any issue using her name for the firestick to be sent to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

faolteam wrote: »
    I have a friend in Belfast going to get a firestick and ear buds sent to her, will there be any issue using her name for the firestick to be sent to
    Naw I send things to my folks at their address in NI a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

faolteam wrote: »

None at all, I have done this ame with one of the lads in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

I have a Ring doorbell on side door, thinking of getting a Blink outdoor camera (or two) for front of house. Have Echo and Echo show, will work with those I presume.

Then looking at pricing for Blink Outdoor 2-Camera System, Deal Price: £99.99

Items: £149.99
    Postage & Packing: £0.00
    Total before VAT: £149.99
    VAT: £0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £35.97
    Total: £185.96
    Promotion Applied: -£50.00
    Payment Total: GBP 135.96

Shouldn't total be about £103?

Are some of you getting the price adjusted through chat or just ordering anyway and hoping you'll be refunded the difference?

Heater

€70 showing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Looks like people will have to use parcel motel or address pal.

I'm going to get some things delivered to a post office in Newry for pick up as I will be heading up that way anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭gerrykiddy

Have people seen this post from Gussieg.

https://www.buttercraneshopping.co.uk/click-collect

I signed up yesterday using a phone bill, drivers licence and the form in the link. They do it while you wait at the Info Desk.

All my info was genuine and I am in Drogheda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

Heater
    Items: EUR 74,02
    Postage & Packing: EUR 0,00
    Import Fees Deposit: EUR 17,02
    Total: EUR 91,04
    Promotion Applied: -EUR 22,20
    Exchange rate guarantee fee: EUR 1,46
    Order Total: EUR 70,30

... or Pay in GBP

Items: GBP 63.61
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 14.63
    Total: GBP 78.24
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 19.08
    Order Total: GBP 59.16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

hopgirl wrote:
    I seen that one but doesn't ship to Ireland 🙠might get onto my cousin in the North and get sent to him and he will bring it down the next time he is at home. Thank you

I'd do that so. It comes with a years kid subscription with countless books and games as long as you put UK address in when first signing in, we think it's great here. I'm reading a few books myself on it at the moment. I've returned it a couple of times too and they refund me postage costs.
    Oh actually nearly forgot since brexit :* some of the apps are geolocked so you need to use a VPN. Fup brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad1337

I was on a chat for 30 minutes+ trying to explain to this agent, its like talking to a brick, they don't seem to understand. Nonetheless I finally got put on to a supervisor and he told me that I will be refunded in 14 days for extra VAT charges. TBH I'm not so confident on that I might have to get back to the chat again in 2 weeks time and spent another 30 minutes reexplaning the entire thing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I was on a chat for 30 minutes+ trying to explain to this agent, its like talking to a brick, they don't seem to understand. Nonetheless I finally got put on to a supervisor and he told me that I will be refunded in 14 days for extra VAT charges. TBH I'm not so confident on that I might have to get back to the chat again in 2 weeks time and spent another 30 minutes reexplaning the entire thing again.

I was on to chat for about half an hour and got nowhere. I just gave up. I'm assuming it'll automatically be refunded but if it's not, it's only about 20 quid and I just couldn't be arsed trying to explain the problem again.

A total shambles. I had a couple of things on my Wishlist that were going for good prices but now they are gone. I wasn't going to take a chance on getting a refund down the line.

Prime up on the 5th of July and won't be renewing until we have a proper distribution centre in the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Was going to re-buy some socks I got 2 months ago only to find they've gone up by nearly a tenner (before VAT/checkout weirdness) so won't be doing that, but apart from that Prime Day has been a total wash out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭scottigael

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016QM6O9G/

This hat is bizzare £8 prime deal but if you go to checkout ends up nearly £13. Vat malarkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

scottigael wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016QM6O9G/

This hat is bizzare £8 prime deal but if you go to checkout ends up nearly £13. Vat malarkey?

VAT calculations account only for a small fraction of the difference. Majority is either f...p in the discount calculation logic which leaves outside UK customers at loss or deliberate mistreatment from Amazon.

I was to CS and they only can repeat bulsiht about brexit and are immune to pointing out facts... I won't be renewing my prime in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I was on to chat for about half an hour and got nowhere. I just gave up. I'm assuming it'll automatically be refunded but if it's not, it's only about 20 quid and I just couldn't be arsed trying to explain the problem again.

You'll get it back, I've gotten lightning deal tax back a while after the item arrived. This isn't anything new today.

I'm going to be contrarian and say that I will probably keep my prime as it's just so handy to buy things that I need when I want them and get quick prime delivery and not having to think up and add shyte that I don't need to try to make the free shipping amount (and get slower deilvery)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

They doing that deal for a reduced purchase price for Prime itself? (Didn't happen last year)

They doing that deal for a reduced purchase price for Prime itself? (Didn't happen last year)

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭FrankN1

The Firesticks are on special but can't order then to Ireland...anyone know if there's anyway to order them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

FrankN1 wrote: »
    The Firesticks are on special but can't order then to Ireland...anyone know if there's anyway to order them?

Your only option is to use AddressPal, but you'll end up paying double tax and the fee from AddressPal, otherwise if you know someone in the UK, you can post it to them and get them to post it over to you. They're your only options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irishguySFD

What's happening is Amazon are charging you the full deal price and the reduction in promotional voucher you are seeing the actually the value of UK VAT that was automatically taken off and the system brings the price back up to the deal price - meaning Amazon is charging Irish customers 20% more

shocksy wrote: »
    Your only option is to use AddressPal, but you'll end up paying double tax and the fee from AddressPal, otherwise if you know someone in the UK, you can post it to them and get them to post it over to you. They're your only options.

Thanks for this. The deal is for 33 euro. It's usually about 50 here. I presume it's not worthwhile ordering it with AddressPal?

• Advertisement

FrankN1 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. The deal is for 33 euro. It's usually about 50 here. I presume it's not worthwhile ordering it with AddressPal?

If it's this one you're referring to, you'll end up paying approximately €57 total for it if you use AddressPal (£27 + 0.23*(£27+€6.50) +€6.50 + €3.50 ≈ €51).

If it's this one you're referring to, you'll end up paying approximately €57 total for it if you use AddressPal (1.23*(£27+€6.50) +€6.50 + €3.50).

Thanks a mil. Will get it in Argos here so. Works out 10 euro cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Toast

Seen a couple things with "prime day savings" blue tag where the vat is being done right. Here's an example https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D2YRYGN/

The limited time prime deals and also regular stuff both are broken.

Edit: actually the other blue tagged prime day saving thing I saw isn't removing vat so I dunno what has this parasol weight calculated right and nothing else done right.

What's happening is Amazon are charging you the full deal price and the reduction in promotional voucher you are seeing the actually the value of UK VAT that was automatically taken off and the system brings the price back up to the deal price - meaning Amazon is charging Irish customers 20% more

It's a glitch in their system and everyone will get a refund. I'm still ordering. If I'm going to spend 30 minutes on live chat I might as well have several orders rather than one or two

Toast wrote:
    Seen a couple things with "prime day savings" blue tag where the vat is being done right. Here's an example

The reason for the item you linked is that there is no vat exclusive price. In other words no UK vat at all, for anyone UK or Ireland. Most likely not a vat registered seller. Because I have a business account it shows me that vat separately on goods. It doesn't on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Amazon support replied, they have sent me a 22£ giftcard to make up the difference and said their technicians know about the issue and are working to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭dan786

Amazon support replied, they have sent me a 22£ giftcard to make up the difference and said their technicians know about the issue and are working to fix it.

I doubt they are , but lets hope they do before the deals end

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

An Amazon rep just told me to leave the item in my cart and I can get it for the discount price even if prime day is over.
    Apparently someone from the teamed train to remove VAT will contact me.

I'm sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

At this stage the thread would be better suited in Consumer Affairs or Rip Off Ireland, thats how much of a mess Prime day by Amazon has been. Id 300 euro worth of stuff lined up but I wont be shafted by an extra 20% VAT so Im buying nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 irishguySFD

I've been overcharged around 200 so far so this'll be fun to see if i get any of this back

Advertisement