Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Prime Day 2021 - Monday 21st & Tuesday 22nd June

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've been overcharged around 200 so far so this'll be fun to see if i get any of this back

Obviously it's illegal not to refund any overcharge & amazon are famous for their after sales service. The only downside that I see is the time spent on live chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

I contacted customer support regarding the promo prices and what is charged at checkout. I clearly stated that it is happening on many items. I sent screenshots of the echo Buds, being sent to UK and ROI addresses and got a response of
    "I understand that you are located in Ireland and received a less promotion on our Prime day deals.

Due to country restriction, the Prime day deal not available in your current location.
    Usually Echo device supplied from Amazon.couk is only available to customers located in the United Kingdom. To take advantage of this Prime day deal, your resident and delivery address should be in UK"

So, my email had been sent to echo support. I emailed back and got sent a link that they asked me to take a look at - the one to do with brexit and deliveries to ROI.
    I give up! I'll spend what's left on my gift card and then as I said yesterday, when my Prime Sub is up I won't be renewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

So if I order something for 70 quid to deliver to here it is 95 with import duty. If I get it sent to Addresspal Will it be 70 plus 16 VAT plus 6.50 delivery. So about 92 in total? Probably live with the 3 quid for quicker delivery.

dougal wrote: »
    So if I order something for 70 quid to deliver to here it is 95 with import duty. If I get it sent to Addresspal Will it be 70 plus 16 VAT plus 6.50 delivery. So about 92 in total? Probably live with the 3 quid for quicker delivery.

It will be (1.23*(£70+€6.50) + €6.50 + €3.50) = €119.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

I sent a message to customer service and they didnt get it.

I bought a kindle paperwhite which has a list price of 89.99 but below is what I paid.

Items:£108.32
    Postage & Packing:£0.00
    Total before VAT:£108.32
    Total:£108.32
    Promotion Applied:-£18.33
    Import Fees Deposit: £24.91
    Order Total: £114.90

Am I right in saying that the 89.99 is the UK VAT inclusive amount and the VAT excl amount 74.99 ie 89.99/1.2 and that is what i should be charged Irish VAT of 23 per cent on. So it should come to 92.24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭jos22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I just tried customer service again and such a different experience. I'll get a refund of the difference between what I paid for the Kindle and what it should have been, on Thursday. The agent couldn't have been more helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve584

Wanted to get the Echo show 8 and Ring doorbell, on prime day deal for £69.99. Got to checkout and price goes up to £97.71 including tax and promotion. Got on to customer service and was told deal not applicable to ROI customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Golfwidow

Caranica wrote: »
    I just tried customer service again and such a different experience. I'll get a refund of the difference between what I paid for the Kindle and what it should have been, on Thursday. The agent couldn't have been more helpful
    Great to know - where did you go on the website to make your complaint please?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The whole thing is annoying. They're advertising Prime Day on Irish TV. Have my eye on something to buy but the tax doesn't seem to be calculating properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

steve584 wrote: »
    Wanted to get the Echo show 8 and Ring doorbell, on prime day deal for £69.99. Got to checkout and price goes up to £97.71 including tax and promotion. Got on to customer service and was told deal not applicable to ROI customers.

States that it only ships to UK & Ireland, so that's definitely not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

What a disaster this has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

I argued the case with them for a Fire 10 HD just now - they wrote that if there is an overcharge due to incorrect application of VAT + Import Duty they would refund it (around £28 extra).

She also said that if it turns out the application of incorrect VAT is not overturned, that they would credit me with the incorrect amount as a goodwill anyway. So worst case scenario is that I'd get a voucher for it.

Annoying to have to argue about it though.

I'm onto someone and he keeps telling my how to access the VAT invoice despite me explaining that is not my issue. He is now telling me they dont price match. He hasnt a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paulh266

How are people getting tablets with battery's delivered to Ireland? If you go through address pal you could end up paying both English and Irish vat

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭andydurnin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08X1QH52Z/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A39FSSU0WTOOK8&psc=1

Smart light switches

Works out around €21 with nothing added on. Before prime it was over €31. Good saving if you buy a few

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

eltonyio wrote: »
    I argued the case with them for a Fire 10 HD just now - they wrote that if there is an overcharge due to incorrect application of VAT + Import Duty they would refund it (around £28 extra).

She also said that if it turns out the application of incorrect VAT is not overturned, that they would credit me with the incorrect amount as a goodwill anyway. So worst case scenario is that I'd get a voucher for it.

Annoying to have to argue about it though.

Quoted to say, they just emailed me with this:

I wanted to confirm in writing for you that, as we discussed on chat, the order total listed on the order summary page is accurate however if we notice that there's an error in calculating your import fee then an automated refund will be process and for some reason that this doesn't recognised then we'll just go ahead and add a promotional certificate into your account to be apply to your next order that sold by Amazon once the parcel scanned as delivered. You just need to get back to us if this happen and we'll help you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 steve584

glic83 wrote: »
    States that it only ships to UK & Ireland, so that's definitely not true

Didn't make any difference when I mentioned to customer services. She was going on about Brexit etc. As you can see from the screenshot the price for the show 8 on its own is 59.99 on deal. They then take the 20% off the pre deal price of 79.99 and then add 23% as expected. Then give a promotion reduction of 6.67, wherever that came from! No prime deal for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

ablelocks wrote: »
    having german prime will still mean you get the prime day sale price, but you will have to pay shipping fee

Thank you! MicroSDs ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

I've just gotten off the phone after speaking with a supervisor (got agent to escalate as he hadnt a clue)

They are aware or it and he said go ahead place our orders they are looking into and they will contact anyone (outside UK) who are affected within 5 days even if they dont contact support about the "over charge".

Seems they will send us an email automatedly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

steve584 wrote:
    Didn't make any difference when I mentioned to customer services. She was going on about Brexit etc. As you can see from the screenshot the price for the show 8 on its own is 59.99 on deal. They then take the 20% off the pre deal price of 79.99 and then add 23% as expected. Then give a promotion reduction of 6.67, wherever that came from! No prime deal for us.

It's strange. I got prime deals after midnight this morning. I also got 30 percent off a warehouse deal. All the correct discounts & correct vat. Went back for more goods this afternoon and its messed up all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Was looking at ordering a mouse there

Was coming up as 33 pound prime day deal however getting 44.55 pound at checkout

How did you get Amazon to refund the difference ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

£7 extra with a £50 top up not account specific (sorry if posted already)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?node=26279482031

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I bought a Ring alarm kit about 3 weeks ago (it was an early deal - same price as Prime Day). I argued the import duties. There was £50 import in the end price of £180… this was meant to be £149 according to the lightning deal. Amazon chat told me it was due to Brexit and they would give me a £25 promotional credit off any products supplied and sold by Amazon. I went for the deal as it was still a good discount but there has been no refund coming of the incorrect VAT.

Do not buy a product expecting an import duties refund.

Golfwidow wrote: »
    Great to know - where did you go on the website to make your complaint please?

I was on the app, selected customer care then offers then typed "chat". I was just lucky with who I got. I didn't even have to link the tweet where Amazon said offers apply here. Wasted two hours this morning with two absolute zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DevFirst

I worked out the math they're using for the error and made comparisons of the listed UK discounts vs the Irish discount in excel. We're not being overcharged by a flat rate, it scales.

UK discount is on the left, effective Irish discount we get at checkout is on the right:
    10% off / -7% off (0% off in checkout)
    16% off / -1% off (0% off in checkout)
    17% off / 0% off
    18% off / 1% off
    20% off / 3% off
    25% off / 8% off
    40% off / 23% off
    50% off / 33% off
    70% off / 52% off

The calculation they're using is so bad that any discount under 17% actually creates a NEGATIVE value (where you'd have to pay more than the regular price). "Thankfully" though it doesn't do this, if the deal discount is 17% or below it just ignores the discount completely and gives it to you at full non deal price at checkout, there's gonna be a ton of older Irish customers like my relatives who don't cop any of this at checkout though. Can't believe they screwed up this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I was listening to a few Irish podcasts earlier snd Amazon are advertising Prime Day on every single one. Clearly aimed at an Irish audience and clearly wasn’t anticipating the sorts of problems everyone here is having. They also had a full page colour ad in the Irish Times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

All my orders go back to full price at checkout, customer service said are aware of problem with Ireland address's with prime day deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MovieFest

BBMcQ wrote: »
    I bought a Ring alarm kit about 3 weeks ago (it was an early deal - same price as Prime Day). I argued the import duties. There was £50 import in the end price of £180… this was meant to be £149 according to the lightning deal. Amazon chat told me it was due to Brexit and they would give me a £25 promotional credit off any products supplied and sold by Amazon. I went for the deal as it was still a good discount but there has been no refund coming of the incorrect VAT.

Do not buy a product expecting an import duties refund.

Would you recommend the Ring alarm kit? Am looking at that Vs the Ajax alarm system.
    I notice the version with the camera is not shipping to Ireland, just the version without, is that the one you got? Thanks

• Advertisement

I was on chat to around 4 different people today. For some reason they kept leaving the chat after a bit and i had to start again. None of them had any clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Instead of making Irish customers go through endless loops and hoops on chat or phone (and I don't blame first line customer service for any of it), Amazon Uk are fully aware of their fck up and should blanket announce Irish customers/addresses to get an exclusive replay of Prime bargains when they finally fix their error.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's strange. I got prime deals after midnight this morning. I also got 30 percent off a warehouse deal. All the correct discounts & correct vat. Went back for more goods this afternoon and its messed up all of a sudden.

Made a point of looking at the 30% off waregouse deals offers, thinking that something over the £20 cost and liable for import charges, would with the discount no longer have those charges, unfortunatly not working that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

You would think with the teams of developers around the world working for amazon they could easily have this issue sorted very fast if they wanted to. I say as there like it's annoying but it's not a major country or market we don't need to worry about this. If this happened in Germany or the USA this would of been fixed within a few hours. We will get an apology and told it won't happen again and don't worry there will be another prime day later in the year for Irish prime members to enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

RGARDINR wrote: »
    You would think with the teams of developers around the world working for amazon they could easily have this issue sorted very fast if they wanted to. I say as there like it's annoying but it's not a major country or market we don't need to worry about this. If this happened in Germany or the USA this would of been fixed within a few hours. We will get an apology and told it won't happen again and don't worry there will be another prime day later in the year for Irish prime members to enjoy.

As a developer, this ain't how it works, big, medium or small company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Years ago I worked for an English/British company and we were at a meeting in the UK where I was proudly explaining our performance in Ireland vs. previous year and growth etc. We were beating the UK in all equivalent metrics by a mile.

At the end of my presentation the UK MD said "that's all really great, but at the end of the day you're not even the size of Manchester". In other words, we don't actually matter all that much......and that's why though they've been aware of this all day amazon ultimately don't care/won't miss the Irish sales all that much with the rest of the UK going crazy over deals today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Refunds for the overcharging will eventually come though I'd say.
    A few weeks ago I got a big batch of them, ranging from a few pence to almost £40, for items I purchased over a period of months that I wasn't expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Syferus wrote: »
    As a developer, this ain't how it works, big, medium or small company.

100-Percent.

More so for Amazon during a sale. Changes like this can be cumbersome and even then they still have their processes that have to be followed for changes being made.

Regardless of how long a fix takes. It's mad this happened in the first place and surely there have been deals in the past that customers got charged incorrect VAT on and it wasn't noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Hurrache wrote: »
    Refunds for the overcharging will eventually come though I'd say.
    A few weeks ago I got a big batch of them, ranging from a few pence to almost £40, for items I purchased over a period of months that I wasn't expecting.

This is absolutely no good when your trying to make a decision today if a deal is good or not, or even a deal at all, with the hope that it might be corrected in the future.

I've missed out on a few warehouse deals and others already and none of those will be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NiceSwan

Thor wrote: »
    100-Percent.

More so for Amazon during a sale. Changes like this can be cumbersome and even then they still have their processes that have to be followed for changes being made.

Regardless of how long a fix takes. It's mad this happened in the first place and surely there have been deals in the past that customers got charged incorrect VAT on and it wasn't noticed.

The thing is that once you hit the 'buy now' button you are agreeing to pay that price for the goods. No matter what individual managers/ reps have told people, amazon will not be under any legal obligation to refund the difference.

At the end of my presentation the UK MD said "that's all really great, but at the end of the day you're not even the size of Manchester".

I hope you pointed out to him that we're actually ten times bigger than Manchester (and even over twice as large as the greater area).

A glitch on Amazon that leads to shipping addresses to Manchester not being accepted would certainly be a big deal for Amazon UK and attempts to rectify it would be made ASAP, so this problem for a population that is ten times larger should certainly be raising heads too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭astonvanilla

Not been overly impressed with Prime Day like everyone else. I do need a new pair of earpods and was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Buds Live. They are £179 down to £79. Sounding good so far!

There's 3 colours - white, black and bronze - and they were all the same price with same seller (amazon EU). Went for the white ones and between all the messing with import duties etc, it came to £86.82 which wasn’t bad in my eyes. Went for them but then when I didn’t get a delivery date after a few hours, I decided to change them for a black pair.

Refunded the white ones, went to pay for black ones and they were £93.57. Near £7 more than the white despite them having the same listed price!
    Then had a look at the bronze ones and they were £105.07! Near £12 dearer than black and almost £20 dearer than the white ones.

Three identical items in different colours. Three identical listed prices. Three completely different checkout prices.

What the hell is going on?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Wireless-Earphones-Version/dp/B08C5G5SL8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Sorry if clogging the thread but is it possible to delay a delivery after you make an order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

Some balls up.... I had a lot of stuff I'm the basket and after reading here now know what the problem is. I wouldn't waste my time waiting for a vat refund

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Sorry if clogging the thread but is it possible to delay a delivery after you make an order?

I am sure there is a way to change the delivery speed, so rather than getting it in 2 days for prime, you can set it to whatever non prime users get.

No. They'll tell you they'll try but it never works

Only UK addresses can schedule a delivery day I believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Regardless of whether they fix it or not it's now too late for me as the best deal I saw (40% off the meater thermometer) is now no longer available. Also for some reason the echo studio isn't included in the Amazon devices reduced. Going to be a relatively cheap prime day for a change . 0 spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Caranica wrote: »
    No. They'll tell you they'll try but it never works

Dunno about that. I was scheduled to have a delivery on Thursday 2 weeks ago but ended up having to go to the office. Waited till the day before hoping it might arrive early but nope... CS were able to reschedule for the Saturday without a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

MovieFest wrote: »
    Would you recommend the Ring alarm kit? Am looking at that Vs the Ajax alarm system.
    I notice the version with the camera is not shipping to Ireland, just the version without, is that the one you got? Thanks

Haven’t installed it yet. They got the Ring doorbell with indoor cam at Xmas and then iSmartAlarm went bust so I’m hooking them up with an alternative. I bought them the 7 piece kit without camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    I've just gotten off the phone after speaking with a supervisor (got agent to escalate as he hadnt a clue)

They are aware or it and he said go ahead place our orders they are looking into and they will contact anyone (outside UK) who are affected within 5 days even if they dont contact support about the "over charge".

Seems they will send us an email automatedly

They have been aware about it for a long time and didn't fix it. Be surprised if they do now. Whenever I complained they issue credit that can only be used on amazon fulfilled items.

This has been going on since earlier in the year when Brexit kicked in for lightening deals. I can see why this isn't fixed. The make money off this bug I'd wager. For everyone of us that cops it 10 likely don't and pay the extra.

For me it was an hour on chat with a spreadsheet that shows them the maths errors that got them to see the light and do the refund.

• Advertisement
Advertisement