Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Disconnection of Meter From Irish Water

• 18-06-2021 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Dear Irish Water,
    I have returned from abroad to my uncles property (a private residence and small farm yard) in Co. Meath. Years ago this was connected to a water mains running from the road although there was a well and stream on the the property. Around 12years ago he installed a new well with pumps and tanks aswell as a puraflow wastewater system for the residence.

At the same time he paid off MCC last water bill in full and asked them to disconnect him from the mains as he no longer was in need of their water services. Unfortunately he now has dementia and cannot deal with his affairs directly.

Last month a bill from Irish Water was sent to him for 42.00 euros. To our knowledge he has never used Irish Water services and was not aware he had an account with them. The last been MCC.
    Is there a process to rectify this situation with Irish Water as they appear to have taken over from MCC water services who should have disconnected him from the mains years ago. Kindly advise. Regards, Del4646.
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

This forum is for help with using the boards.ie site. :)

You should try posting your query in the Irish Water forum

https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1643

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Sorry the Irish Water forum is actually closed at the moment so you will need to contact them directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

del4646 wrote: »
    Dear Irish Water,
    I have returned from abroad to my uncles property (a private residence and small farm yard) in Co. Meath. Years ago this was connected to a water mains running from the road although there was a well and stream on the the property. Around 12years ago he installed a new well with pumps and tanks aswell as a puraflow wastewater system for the residence.

At the same time he paid off MCC last water bill in full and asked them to disconnect him from the mains as he no longer was in need of their water services. Unfortunately he now has dementia and cannot deal with his affairs directly.

Last month a bill from Irish Water was sent to him for 42.00 euros. To our knowledge he has never used Irish Water services and was not aware he had an account with them. The last been MCC.
    Is there a process to rectify this situation with Irish Water as they appear to have taken over from MCC water services who should have disconnected him from the mains years ago. Kindly advise. Regards, Del4646.

To my knowledge Irish water only bill commercial properties, so I'm assuming your uncle's property is commercial, this said I can't explain why he's being billed given the disconnection request. But do note, all commercial customers were taken over by Irish Water, so they obviously have information, albeit wrong.

I had a slightly different experience, no disconnection request but suddenly and after a year of being a registered private customer of Irish water, they wrote advising me I was suddenly a commercial customer. I should state, I've a humble cottage on one acre and absolutely have no commercial entity being run from my home.

Anyway after back and fourth with IW, they claimed (falsely) the my LA gave them the information. The LA to their credit came to my rescue, conf no information was given and confirmed my property was always residential, indeed previous to IW I was on group scheme.

In essence, my advice is to get onto MCC see if they can help clarify your uncle's account, disconnection request etc, then with this info, start process with IW, it is utterly pointless trying to deal IW without information, a nightmare to deal with and thankfully my issue resolved with grovelling apology.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement