Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcloon Fibre/Broadband

• 18-06-2021 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

We're interested in a property in Kilcloon and trying to figure out what broadband is available in the area. From what I can gather there is no fibre broadband and I'm not sure how to find out if there is a scheduled rollout. Would anyone know anything more about this?

Coverage on my phone was quite poor also (GoMo/EIR), are there better providers we could try for 4G/5G broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

There is fibre in some pockets around the area and in some others it’s (allegedly) being installed mid 2022.
    Put the eircode into NBI.ie to start with and see what it says there.
    There are companies that do 4G LTE, we get about 30mbps on one run off a Three mobile sim but again depends on the location of the house, distance from the mast etc. for quality & strength of signal.
    Call into neighbours, ask what they have & what speeds they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Thanks Sparky, I've checked on NBI and it comes up as "Your premises is not included in the intervention area of the National Broadband Plan." I'm unsure what that means other than that it looks like a no fibre?

I might pop into Three and vodafone and see if I can get a sim from them to test in the area, GoMo almost didn't have coverage :eek:

On NBI.ie did you scroll down and read the full message?
    Usually it’s this for premises not included:

Not in Intervention Area
    Internet service providers have indicated they offer speeds of 30mbps or greater in your locality.

So there could be fibre on the poles passing the house already, I’d still check with neighbours to see what they have if I was you.
    Interestingly where I am there is Vodafone 5G coverage out in the garden but when we tested the speed against a Three sim at roof level (where the aerial will be for 4G LTE) Three came out on top. If you want to PM me the eircode I might be able to tell you where the nearest mast is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Sparky85 wrote: »

Not in Intervention Area
    Internet service providers have indicated they offer speeds of 30mbps or greater in your locality.

This is what it says under the previous message. When I check EIR/Vodafone I get a no service message.

Interestingly, on https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ (which I think might be really old?) there is a live cabinet no more than 300m from the house and it's in a green zone.

---EDIT---
    How can you tell if there is fibre on the poles?

Yeah that map on Eir hasn’t been updated since 2020. Could be worth checking with Siro.

There is fibre on poles 500meters up the road from me they just haven’t brought it as far as my place yet, so essentially my neighbours have high speed fibre while I wait for it.

You need to know what you’re looking for on the poles to tell and really the best way for you to find out is to knock into neighbours there and ask what they have, generally everyone is very friendly and willing to have a chat. Specifically ask about speeds though as when I asked my neighbours they all said they had broadband but they were talking about the traditional connection from eir over the copper phone line which gives speeds of only 2.5mbps!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement