Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contractors revising post completion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I would meet him half way and be happy with that

I'm happy enough, he has a folksy way of juggling numbers and it can look clumsy, I fully appreciate that 6 X 6 corner posts are way more expensive than 6 x 3 but he also accepted that he saved on base materials as well as time by the pergola being sited on same base as patio

Thanks to all contributors to the thread, it shouldn't be taboo to play hardball on details, this guy isn't one of them but plenty of contractors do exploit the tendency in this country to be overly passive about figures

My mother in law is being charged extortionate fees by a carpenter to fit eight doors and lay laminate on a hall at the moment

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

this thread reminds me of this old meme

Project-Construction-Swing-Cartoon.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'm happy enough, he has a folksy way of juggling numbers and it can look clumsy, I fully appreciate that 6 X 6 corner posts are way more expensive than 6 x 3 but he also accepted that he saved on base materials as well as time by the pergola being sited on same base as patio

Thanks to all contributors to the thread, it shouldn't be taboo to play hardball on details, this guy isn't one of them but plenty of contractors do exploit the tendency in this country to be overly passive about figures

My mother in law is being charged extortionate fees by a carpenter to fit eight doors and lay laminate on a hall at the moment

great that you got sorted.
    he save on one hand but it took longer on the other to put the patio around the pergola

go on and tell us how much the carpenter is charging per door and per m for the laminate

great that you got sorted.
    he save on one hand but it took longer on the other to put the patio around the pergola

go on and tell us how much the carpenter is charging per door and per m for the laminate

like i said Pen , Im happy we reached an amicable conclusion as I hope to have him back again for a half day per year to look over things ( his idea early on )

on the door installation and laminate in my mother and laws house

eight doors ( which each have a glass panel ) supplied and installed , hall is 20 metres squared ( 13 x 1.5 )

total including labour = eight thousand , he did not provide an itemised quote ( in terms of labour per door or per square yard installation of laminate ) bar saying each door is 300 euro ( including handles , hinges etc )

like i said Pen , Im happy we reached an amicable conclusion as I hope to have him back again for a half day per year to look over things ( his idea early on )

on the door installation and laminate in my mother and laws house

eight doors ( which each have a glass panel ) supplied and installed , hall is 20 metres squared ( 13 x 1.5 )

total including labour = eight thousand , he did not provide an itemised quote ( in terms of labour per door or per square yard installation of laminate ) bar saying each door is 300 euro ( including handles , hinges etc )

Hard to tell without all the details but to seems very high.

• Advertisement

Hard to tell without all the details but to seems very high.

i got ten Deanta doors fitted with handles and hinges for 2 k in 2014 , now i know that was a very different time but 8 k seems extremely steep ?

i got ten Deanta doors fitted with handles and hinges for 2 k in 2014 , now i know that was a very different time but 8 k seems extremely steep ?

Seems very expensive as you you say. . Is there new frames and architraves etc
    What type of floor and is skirting coming off or slipsetc

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

A common tactic in carpentry when you don't want to deal with a ****ty customer is to charge a massive fee.

That way you get whatever your time and additional headspace is worth by the end of the job, regardless of how bad the customer is.

I reckon this would explain at least some of the weird price jobs people come across for this kind of work.

a fat guy wrote: »
    A common tactic in carpentry when you don't want to deal with a ****ty customer is to charge a massive fee.

That way you get whatever your time and additional headspace is worth by the end of the job, regardless of how bad the customer is.

I reckon this would explain at least some of the weird price jobs people come across for this kind of work.

the retired couple im referring to would be too polite for their own good and the tradesman probably recognised that , my mother in laws husband is the type to nearly offer more than he was asked

there is nothing wrong with that. not all jobs are equal.
    a quote is how much money it will take for the trademan to do the job. there are lots of factors that make up that equasion and making a PITA job worth while is perfectly fine

• Advertisement

there is nothing wrong with that. not all jobs are equal.
    a quote is how much money it will take for the trademan to do the job. there are lots of factors that make up that equasion and making a PITA job worth while is perfectly fine

My phrasing is coming off as harsher than I intended if you thought that, I'm actually 100% in favour of charging bad customers more for work (My father does this sometimes!)

the retired couple im referring to would be too polite for their own good and the tradesman probably recognised that , my mother in laws husband is the type to nearly offer more than he was asked

I'm not sure why the job was priced like that then.

The only other thing could be that the tradesmen are up the walls with work at the moment and want to charge extra to make up for the lack of sleep they'll be getting with all the work they'll need to finish in a short period of time. Same idea as before, but due to lack of time rather than a bad customer attitude.

I'm not sure why the job was priced like that then.

The only other thing could be that the tradesmen are up the walls with work at the moment and want to charge extra to make up for the lack of sleep they'll be getting with all the work they'll need to finish in a short period of time. Same idea as before, but due to lack of time rather than a bad customer attitude.

Heard it all now

Heard it all now

if you work late or a saturdays or bank holiday etc do you do it for your normal rate. unlikely. you would expect overtime or time in leiu etc.
    it would only be fair to charge more for out of hours

Heard it all now

Not sure why you'd even post that.

Unless you just didn't like tradesmen.

Not sure why you'd even post that.

Unless you just didn't like tradesmen.

the idea someone would be expected to pay more because the tradesman was burning it at both ends ?

be funny if you were not serious

the idea someone would be expected to pay more because the tradesman was burning it at both ends ?

be funny if you were not serious

The only joke here is your lack of understanding lad, but based on everything you've posted here I'm not surprised you just don't get how business works.

Edit: good luck to you, I tried explaining but it's not worth the effort.

The only joke here is your lack of understanding lad, but based on everything you've posted here I'm not surprised you just don't get how business works.

Edit: good luck to you, I tried explaining but it's not worth the effort.

I know how BS merchants work thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

if you work late or a saturdays or bank holiday etc do you do it for your normal rate. unlikely. you would expect overtime or time in leiu etc.
    it would only be fair to charge more for out of hours

Are you suggesting that tradesmen who are too busy to do all the work they take on between 8 and 5 start charging extra for jobs that they decide to work after 5 or on a Saturday ?

That's just a crazy attitude to take .

Nobody forces anyone to take on extra work .

Juwwi wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that tradesmen who are too busy to do all the work they take on between 8 and 5 start charging extra for jobs that they decide to work after 5 or on a Saturday ?

That's just a crazy attitude to take .

Nobody forces anyone to take on extra work .

of course thats what im suggesting.
    whats crazy about it.

would you do extra work for normal money
    if a customer wants work done during those times and wont wait then they will have to pay for it.
    you dont expect a plumber or spark to call out out of hours and pay normal rates why should other trades be diferent

• Advertisement

of course thats what im suggesting.
    whats crazy about it.

would you do extra work for normal money
    if a customer wants work done during those times and wont wait then they will have to pay for it.
    you dont expect a plumber or spark to call out out of hours and pay normal rates why should other trades be diferent

A plumber or a electrician getting called out after hours is totally different to what your suggesting about charging extra for a Saturday , also about customers not willing to wait that's different also .

The idea that a carpenter is so busy because he's taking on too much work charges the woman more for putting down a laminate floor on a Saturday than he charged the lady who he put down a laminate floor on Friday is ridiculous , and just ripping people off if anyone is actually doing this .

Now l know everyone has the option of getting 3 quotes and nobody is forced to go with the Saturday quote but this conversation started because of the OP in laws seem the type of people who are probably too trusting of people and there's plenty of those type of people out there .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

8 doors to remove existing, fit, hinge and lock could take no more than
    2 hours per door max.
    And i dont care if 6 of them were in a hobitts house down the lane.:D

Its not possible to take longer than 2 good days, unless you were sleeping on day 1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Juwwi wrote:

As a tradesman I can confirm that this is exactly what most tradesmen do. We are entitled to extra payment for out of hours work the same as any worker.

A plumber or a electrician getting called out after hours is totally different to what your suggesting about charging extra for a Saturday , also about customers not willing to wait that's different also .

The idea that a carpenter is so busy because he's taking on too much work charges the woman more for putting down a laminate floor on a Saturday than he charged the lady who he put down a laminate floor on Friday is ridiculous , and just ripping people off if anyone is actually doing this .

Now l know everyone has the option of getting 3 quotes and nobody is forced to go with the Saturday quote but this conversation started because of the OP in laws seem the type of people who are probably too trusting of people and there's plenty of those type of people out there .

whats diferent about a plumber or spark getting called out and another trade.
    my days off are valuble to me so i shouldbe compensated for giving those up.

if the woman wants the laminate down and wont wait for it to be put down during the week then she is asking for a diferent service than during the week. that service comes at a premiem . most of the time i wold never charge extra for a saturday but if it was a saturday after working all week for that customer i would .
    nothing wrong with that

no body is getting ripped of by someone charging for their time

@Sleeper .
    What's out of hours work tho ?
    If a customer doesn't ask for the work done out of hours and is happy for it to be done Monday to Friday it isn't out of hours work if you decide to work later in an evening .

A plumber ,electrician ,Dyno Rod all called out after hours were someone is on call l agree with .

But a carpenter who decides he's going to work an extra few Saturdays is wrong .

I know nobody is forced to go with these quotes .

whats diferent about a plumber or spark getting called out and another trade.
    my days off are valuble to me so i shouldbe compensated for giving those up.

if the woman wants the laminate down and wont wait for it to be put down during the week then she is asking for a diferent service than during the week. that service comes at a premiem . most of the time i wold never charge extra for a saturday but if it was a saturday after working all week for that customer i would .
    nothing wrong with that

no body is getting ripped of by someone charging for their time

Your changing the goal posts now .

Nobody is talking about the woman who is only available on a Saturday .
    This started about trades charging extra because they are busy , it's obvious I'm not talking about jobs that's can only be done out of hours ,

Your changing the goal posts now .

Nobody is talking about the woman who is only available on a Saturday .
    This started about trades charging extra because they are busy , it's obvious I'm not talking about jobs that's can only be done out of hours ,

these customers only want the work done out of hours because you are too busy during normal hours

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Juwwi wrote:
    @Sleeper . What's out of hours work tho ? If a customer doesn't ask for the work done out of hours and is happy for it to be done Monday to Friday it isn't out of hours work if you decide to work later in an evening .

The same as anyone else. Anything over 39 hours imo. If I employ several plumbers & send one out to you in the evening, Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday I have to pay him time and a half or double time. I will have to charge you time & a half or double time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

During the last recession most customers had the attitude of ye should be glad of the work ,well now we don’t need the work and are charging customers accordingly .Simple supply and demand.

If I was a customer, I would hold onto my money and wait for the crash which I doubt is too far away.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    As a tradesman I can confirm that this is exactly what most tradesmen do. We are entitled to extra payment for out of hours work the same as any worker.

So it's just plain bad luck if customer X happens to find themselves pencilled in for a job on weekends even they booked the job three months earlier?

Bizarre rationale

Advertisement