Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contractors revising post completion

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

whats diferent about a plumber or spark getting called out and another trade.
    my days off are valuble to me so i shouldbe compensated for giving those up.

if the woman wants the laminate down and wont wait for it to be put down during the week then she is asking for a diferent service than during the week. that service comes at a premiem . most of the time i wold never charge extra for a saturday but if it was a saturday after working all week for that customer i would .
    nothing wrong with that

no body is getting ripped of by someone charging for their time

Who said my mother in law " won't wait " ?

This isn't an attic leak emergency call out ,nobody asked for a Saturday slot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

scwazrh wrote: »
    During the last recession most customers had the attitude of ye should be glad of the work ,well now we don’t need the work and are charging customers accordingly .Simple supply and demand.

If I was a customer, I would hold onto my money and wait for the crash which I doubt is too far away.

Tradesmen weren't that cheap during the crash years, they either fcuked off to Canada or drew the dole along with cash nixers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mad_maxx wrote:
    So it's just plain bad luck if customer X happens to find themselves pencilled in for a job on weekends even they booked the job three months earlier?

I quote for all work before I start. There are never any surprises. They either agree to the price or they don't. I honestly don't see what the issue is.

Mad_maxx wrote:
    Tradesmen weren't that cheap during the crash years, they either fcuked off to Canada or drew the dole along with cash nixers

There are many comments here on boards where people paid 80 to 100 per day (less than minimum wage) for a tradesman during the crash years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Who said my mother in law " won't wait " ?

This isn't an attic leak emergency call out ,nobody asked for a Saturday slot

no one is talking about emergancy call outs.

how do you know that they didnt ask for a saturday or in the evening slot. a lot of customers want that. for some bizare reason they think that you will do it cheaper or that they can jump the queue .

you clearly have no idea what its like being a trademan and all the requests from customers.

• Advertisement

you clearly have no idea what its like being a trademan and all the requests from customers.

I wonder does he work nights & weekends for whatever flat rate he's paid 9 to 5. Or is it just tradesmen that should get paid the same rate regardless of what hours or days. Seems very strange attitude to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I wonder does he work nights & weekends for whatever flat rate he's paid 9 to 5. Or is it just tradesmen that should get paid the same rate regardless of what hours or days. Seems very strange attitude to me

sadly its an attitude that a lot of people have.
    i have heard it a good few times . ah shur havnt you made your days wages earlier. you wont go hard on me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Calling a tradesman out at the weekend, fair enough, I’d expect to have to pay extra, but not on a job quoted in advance.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Calling a tradesman out at the weekend, fair enough, I’d expect to have to pay extra, but not on a job quoted in advance.

Why exactly?

I have to pay time & a half or double time if sending out a tradesman out of regular hours. I can't tell him he doesn't get the overtime rate he is legally entitled to because the job was booked weeks ago. If I pay time & a half or double time then I have to build this into a quote. I can't pay double time & only charge the client regular rates.

Do you not get paid overtime even if your employer has booked you in months ago to work the Saturday? You & tradesmen are entitled to overtime. There is no difference. I can not see the logic that a tradesman I send to do a job on a Saturday shouldn't get the same overtime entitlements as every other non tradesperson in the country. Every building site you pass tomorrow that has workers on site are paying overtime. This work was booked in advance

I just don't understand the logic

Why exactly?

I have to pay time & a half or double time if sending out a tradesman out of regular hours. I can't tell him he doesn't get the overtime rate he is legally entitled to because the job was booked weeks ago. If I pay time & a half or double time then I have to build this into a quote. I can't pay double time & only charge the client regular rates.

Do you not get paid overtime even if your employer has booked you in months ago to work the Saturday? You & tradesmen are entitled to overtime. There is no difference. I can not see the logic that a tradesman I send to do a job on a Saturday shouldn't get the same overtime entitlements as every other non tradesperson in the country. Every building site you pass tomorrow that has workers on site are paying overtime. This work was booked in advance

I just don't understand the logic

I will preface this with the assumption that the customer is not booking the tradesman to do the job exclusively at the weekend for the customer’s convenience, in that case, absolutely, charge a premium.

If you quote for a job based on spec rather than a requirement to work late evenings or weekends, then I don’t see how/why you would add an evening/weekend premium if the customer hasn’t requested you work anything over a normal working day.

I’ve been building/refurbing properties for nearly 30 years and during that time have employed a lot of tradesmen. In my experience, few turn up exactly when they agreed to, fewer still work at weekends unless they are in a hurry to finish and go to the next job, which of course benefits them financially. So if you want to charge a premium for working evenings/weekends, a reciprocal lowering of the quote should be allowed to the customer if you don’t turn up when you were supposed to, delaying the job and potentially costing the customer.

• Advertisement

I will preface this with the assumption that the customer is not booking the tradesman to do the job exclusively at the weekend for the customer’s convenience, in that case, absolutely, charge a premium.

If you quote for a job based on spec rather than a requirement to work late evenings or weekends, then I don’t see how/why you would add an evening/weekend premium if the customer hasn’t requested you work anything over a normal working day.

I’ve been building/refurbing properties for nearly 30 years and during that time have employed a lot of tradesmen. In my experience, few turn up exactly when they agreed to, fewer still work at weekends unless they are in a hurry to finish and go to the next job, which of course benefits them financially. So if you want to charge a premium for working evenings/weekends, a reciprocal lowering of the quote should be allowed to the customer if you don’t turn up when you were supposed to, delaying the job and potentially costing the customer.

By law I must pay overtime. It doesn't matter if work is booked in with 10 hours notice or 6 months notice. If I can't fit in the customer in the regular working week then I have to quote more because it's out of hours. Customer has the option to pay the price including the legal overtime pay or get someone else that might illegally pay their employees cash in hand

So if you want to charge a premium for working evenings/weekends, a reciprocal lowering of the quote should be allowed to the customer if you don’t turn up when you were supposed to, delaying the job and potentially costing the customer.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you wanting this but it's not something you automatically get. If you want this as part of the quote you need to tell the company before quote is generated because it is part of the quote. If you want this then it should all be in your contract. You will pay more for this though. From the business side a quote is problematic. Outdoor work can be rained off for days on end but workers still get paid. We had a summer of floods about 12 years ago. These are the risks the company takes with a quote. If you want to restrict him more with the conditions above then obviously the quote will be higher.

At the end of the day tradesmen outside of regular hours are entitled to overtime. These costs will be quoted for because the employers costs will be higher. It doesn't really matter if you ask for weekends or not, tradesmen are legally entitled to it & this cost has to be passed onto the client. You hear people saying cost of tradesmen have gone up & they have. Tradesmen are going through a busy period & working longer hours. It's those longer hours that is pushing the cost up

By law I must pay overtime. It doesn't matter if work is booked in with 10 hours notice or 6 months notice. If I can't fit in the customer in the regular working week then I have to quote more because it's out of hours. Customer has the option to pay the price including the legal overtime pay or get someone else that might illegally pay their employees cash in hand

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you wanting this but it's not something you automatically get. If you want this as part of the quote you need to tell the company before quote is generated because it is part of the quote. If you want this then it should all be in your contract. You will pay more for this though. From the business side a quote is problematic. Outdoor work can be rained off for days on end but workers still get paid. We had a summer of floods about 12 years ago. These are the risks the company takes with a quote. If you want to restrict him more with the conditions above then obviously the quote will be higher.

At the end of the day tradesmen outside of regular hours are entitled to overtime. These costs will be quoted for because the employers costs will be higher. It doesn't really matter if you ask for weekends or not, tradesmen are legally entitled to it & this cost has to be passed onto the client. You hear people saying cost of tradesmen have gone up & they have. Tradesmen are going through a busy period & working longer hours. It's those longer hours that is pushing the cost up

Unless the customer specifically requests evening/weekend working or a specific timeframe to complete the job, which I suspect very few do, it is up to you to organise your schedule/crew. Charging extra because you want to finish a job more quickly to move to the next one is hardly honest. You have the option to allow your employees to finish at 5pm on Friday and come back Monday morning, if you want them to work at weekends, that’s your call unless the customer requests it.

In relation to what you posted above about the quote, perhaps if you want to work on evenings/weekends and charge a premium, you should inform the customer of this, most may prefer not to have tradesmen in their homes at weekends, nor wish to pay extra for the pleasure of your company on their days off.

Unless the customer specifically requests evening/weekend working or a specific timeframe to complete the job, which I suspect very few do, it is up to you to organise your schedule/crew. Charging extra because you want to finish a job more quickly to move to the next one is hardly honest. You have the option to allow your employees to finish at 5pm on Friday and come back Monday morning, if you want them to work at weekends, that’s your call unless the customer requests it.

With respect you haven't a clue. Legally employer has to pay overtime. It is the law. There is no point saying you should do this or that. If a company is totally booked out for regular hours, then some will quote for outside hours work. When they do this they charge for materials & labour. After this they ad on profit. Whatever labour is it is quoted for.

You don't seem to have a clue about labour law, quoting for jobs or indeed running a business yet you still insist you are correct in your opinion. It's pointless continuing with this conversation as you refuse to accept very basic business principle. I hope I haven't insulted you as it's not my intention. I'll unfollow this thread as it's pointless repeating myself

With respect you haven't a clue. Legally employer has to pay overtime. It is the law. There is no point saying you should do this or that. If a company is totally booked out for regular hours, then some will quote for outside hours work. When they do this they charge for materials & labour. After this they ad on profit. Whatever labour is it is quoted for.

You don't seem to have a clue about labour law, quoting for jobs or indeed running a business yet you still insist you are correct in your opinion. It's pointless continuing with this conversation as you refuse to accept very basic business principle. I hope I haven't insulted you as it's not my intention. I'll unfollow this thread as it's pointless repeating myself

The employees are yours, not your customer’s. If you you elect to make them work evenings/weekends, that is your call unless the customer specifically requests it.

Just for your future reference, you are required to know labour law as it relates to your employees, that responsibility does not transfer to your customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

A genuine question to Sleeper12 .
    Do you ever tell the customer up front that you are doing the job out of hours and that they are paying either 50% or 100% extra for the labour to give them the option ?

Going by Sleeper12 logic someone in a standard 3bed house could pay 20k for a standard electrical rewire because the lads decide to do it over a few Saturday and Sundays .

Advertisement