Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I change my mind on the notice period?

Options
  • 19-06-2021 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm working at company A. Signed with company B and set my start date 2 weeks from now. Told my manager at company A that I'm giving in my 2 weeks notice and he got angry about it, saying he needs 30 days as per contract and that he won't take less. If I want 2 weeks I'd need to give in a 30 days notice with a 2 week vacation.

I've sent him the email saying my last day at work as being 30 days from now w/ 2 weeks vacation but I'm having 2nd thoughts as I should not have given into him pressuring me. I will be on vacation with company A while working for company B.

Can I change my mind? On second thought, I'm willing to burn some bridges if that would not put me in a bad light with company B (workimg for them while on vacation with company A).

Company A contract states that the notice should be the higher of either a) legal notice b) contract agreed notice; it stipulates further down the line that the company usually requires 30 days. It uses the word "usually" which makes me think it's not mandatory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Your contract requires you to give 30 days notice, which is pretty standard. Three months notice periods are common enough. "Usually" means they can use their discretion with the requirement, not that you can.

Use the vacation time. Apologise, without making a big deal of it, and say you made a mistake about the notice period. It's possible that they might decide you let you have the shorter notice period if you don't fight with them about it, but don't expect that. Burning bridges is a bad idea and professional reputation is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

What difference will it make? You will still be working in your new job in two weeks either way. Whatever notice you gave, you’re entitled to any outstanding annual leave pay. In this instance, your current employer is allowing you to take two week’s annual leave as part of your 30 day notice. If they were forcing you to work the full 30 day notice I can see the problem, but as it stands you haven’t ‘given in’ to anything. What are you hoping to achieve here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oaie

My issue is with the next exployer not liking the fact that I am still bound by contract with the previous one. I'm not some high level exec but I don't want to start on the wrong foot.

My new contract says that I should not be bound by any contract with a previous employer that restricts my duties towards them.

I always negociated my notice and this is the first time it has happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

oaie wrote: »
    My issue is with the next exployer not liking the fact that I am still bound by contract with the previous one. I'm not some high level exec but I don't want to start on the wrong foot.

My new contract says that I should not be bound by any contract with a previous employer that restricts my duties towards them.

I always negociated my notice and this is the first time it has happened to me.

No offense but that's a stupid reason to be making such a fuss. You made the mistake in assuming your notice period without checking.

You could sort this with the new company not the old .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't think that phrase means what you think it means: it's likely they're saying you cannot have any restrain clauses in the last contract like "cannot work for any other employer in the sector for six months after leaving".

Say nothing to your new employer.

Take annual leave for the last two weeks with your old job (if they will allow you).

Next time you leave a job, give the notice required in your contract. Do not make assumptions that this can been negotiated - usually it can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I've only had it negotiated in the opposite direction.
    Do you think they will replace you in two weeks?

My issue is with the next exployer not liking the fact that I am still bound by contract with the previous one.

One of the first things to do when you start job hunting is check what notice period you're currently bound to.

Similarly, one of the key questions you usually get asked in a job interview is 'what's your current notice period'/'when can you start'. Surely you had to answer this question at some point?

Sorry OP but you dropped more than one ball here and I dont think it's an appropriate response to start picking apart your contract terminology. Let your new employer know that you'll still have your old employer paying you for a couple of weeks under annual leave. Don't burn bridges with the old employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

grassylawn wrote: »
    I've only had it negotiated in the opposite direction.

The only times I've seen companies happy to reduce the notice period are when they are just as glad to see the back of you as you are them :D

Advertisement