Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need new irons

Options
  • 19-06-2021 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi. I'm off 27 at the moment but I don't play much atall
    I have a set of Wilson irons that I got years ago, want to play more and improve
    Should I invest in a decent set of irons, or will they make any difference?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Better equipment definitely makes a difference. If you want new irons, get new irons. Long as you're not taking food out of your kids mouth for them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭OEP

Get lessons first

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ecdi wrote: »
    Hi. I'm off 27 at the moment but I don't play much atall
    I have a set of Wilson irons that I got years ago, want to play more and improve
    Should I invest in a decent set of irons, or will they make any difference?
    Thanks
    Off 27 and not playing much would indicate no. If you start playing more and get better, then maybe, but lessons should probably be your first investment. If your irons are the ones I'm thinking of, they're beginners clubs and should be ok for the moment. The only caveat to this is if you're taller than average - perhaps over six feet tall, then they'll probably be a tad short for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Probably nothing wrong with them, if they are quite old then maybe freshen them up with new grips!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi all

surely the answer to the question depends on the irons in question?
    what model are they?

are they "improver" cavity backs?
    they could be blades for all we know

regards

• Advertisement

If you're off 27 and not playing much at all, your swing can't be in good shape. I assume they're not blades if they were bought a few years ago. Improver irons aren't going to make much difference if you can't swing the club

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ecdi

OEP wrote: »
    If you're off 27 and not playing much at all, your swing can't be in good shape. I assume they're not blades if they were bought a few years ago. Improver irons aren't going to make much difference if you can't swing the club

My swing is very good actually.

My swing is very good actually.

Why are you off 27 then?

Why are you off 27 then?

Putting...

Putting...

Fair enough. If you're reasonably good at hitting your iron shots then new irons might make a difference, but that all depends and what your current ones are like. If they're already the "game improvement" style irons, then you're not going to notice much of a difference changing them. I got my handicap down to 12 with irons that were about 10 years old when I got them, and then kept them for nearly another 10 years. I bought new ones at that point.

If putting has you off 27, get a putting lesson!

• Advertisement

Putting...

New irons will improve your putting by at least 10 putts a round.

Fair enough. If you're reasonably good at hitting your iron shots then new irons might make a difference, but that all depends and what your current ones are like. If they're already the "game improvement" style irons, then you're not going to notice much of a difference changing them. I got my handicap down to 12 with irons that were about 10 years old when I got them, and then kept them for nearly another 10 years. I bought new ones at that point.

If putting has you off 27, get a putting lesson!

Why did u buy new ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Putting...

Maybe try using a putter instead of an Iron for putting

Why did u buy new ones?

Because they were 20 year old irons, I was off 12 and wanted to get lower and felt new ones would help. They were also regular shafts and I needed stiff

Because they were 20 year old irons, I was off 12 and wanted to get lower and felt new ones would help. They were also regular shafts and I needed stiff

Did u get a lower with new irons?

Did u get a lower with new irons?

I'm assuming you're just trolling at this stage but yes I did. Along with lots of putting and short game practice and some lessons

I'm assuming you're just trolling at this stage but yes I did. Along with lots of putting and short game practice and some lessons

No I'm not trolling. What your h/c go down to.
    Did the irons play much of a part in it?

They did play a part in it. Get new irons

They did play a part in it. Get new irons

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

@ OP. If you have a good swing and are off 27 because of putting you must be an awful putter. Get that fixed is what you need to do

• Advertisement

@ OP. If you have a good swing and are off 27 because of putting you must be an awful putter. Get that fixed is what you need to do

Ok good advice thanks very much

Why do people get so evangelical about new clubs.

OP the only things you should be considering before buying new clubs is your bank balance and your wife.

We don't need much in life but most of us work hard to buy stuff we want

If you want them and can afford them then get them, don't ask strangers for permission.

Why do people get so evangelical about new clubs.

OP the only things you should be considering before buying new clubs is your bank balance and your wife.

We don't need much in life but most of us work hard to buy stuff we want

If you want them and can afford them then get them, don't ask strangers for permission.

They are asking if they would help, not for permission. And if their putting is the problem then why buy irons?

DuckSlice wrote: »
    They are asking if they would help, not for permission. And if their putting is the problem then why buy irons?

And the simple answer is yes, a new set of irons will help. How much or how little is anyone's guess.

New irons will improve your putting by at least 10 putts a round.
    And the simple answer is yes, a new set of irons will help. How much or how little is anyone's guess.

10 putts a round like I said earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

What’s the model/type of Wilson irons that you have?

10 putts a round like I said earlier!

Imagine if a new iron improved your approach play, which eased your putting woes.

We're through the looking glass now like.

Imagine if a new iron improved your approach play, which eased your putting woes.

We're through the looking glass now like.

The stats say the more GIR the more putts, so the more they are on the green the worse they will be.

We don't know enough info really, and the OP seems reluctant to offer anything significant to go off other than they have a great swing and their putting is terrible.

I'm playing with Wilson Fatshaft.

Not asking for permission

If I couldn't afford them I wouldn't be asking but I'm not going to spend €900+ for the sake of it.

I was asking the opinion of fellow golfers if new irons would make a difference on my approach play.
    Amazing how some* posters get so preachy and hot under the collor, they need to relax

To the smart Alec answers, good one..

• Advertisement

I'm playing with Wilson Fatshaft.

Not asking for permission

If I couldn't afford them I wouldn't be asking but I'm not going to spend €900+ for the sake of it.

I was asking the opinion of fellow golfers if new irons would make a difference on my approach play.
    Amazing how some* posters get so preachy and hot under the collor, they need to relax

To the smart Alec answers, good one..

Apologies if I was preachy!

Played with Fatshafts for years, they are a great iron. I got down to 15 with them but I wasn't as serious back then. If I pick them up now they fell quite heavy and clunky.

I got new irons and I'm down to 8 now but I would say that is more to do with practice and playing regularly than the irons but they were a factor. there is definitely better irons out there than them, and you could go second hand to save cash. If you are going new and getting fitted then you should see an improvement.

Advertisement