Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need new irons

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

ecdi wrote: »
    I'm playing with Wilson Fatshaft.

Not asking for permission

If I couldn't afford them I wouldn't be asking but I'm not going to spend €900+ for the sake of it.

I was asking the opinion of fellow golfers if new irons would make a difference on my approach play.
    Amazing how some* posters get so preachy and hot under the collor, they need to relax

To the smart Alec answers, good one..

It's absolutely no harm in getting newer clubs and they have plenty of technology built in to help all handicaps. Go for 2nd hand on a set of irons and used the saved cash for lessons. That's what I did last year and I can honestly say the money spent on lessons was well worth it. The local pro is a gent and through the lessons I've built up a great relationship with him. He's gone out of his way to spend a few mins giving me some tips on the range when he spotted me practicing on numerous occasions. Discounted some clubs and a driver fitting also. Essentially the money spent on a package of lessons has come right back to me in discounts and some extra bits. I think this is often ignored when we think of paying €30-40 for a lesson.

I feel you might get the best value out of a 2nd hand set of game improvement irons. An 8 hc'er I played with recently shot +1 gross using game improvement irons so they're not just for beginners or higher hc's. The Mizuno JPX 919 hot metal irons can be had for under €500 and are a good recent example. They are highly regarded by most equipment reviewers/pros and hit long with plenty of forgiveness. I think psychologically it helps hitting a set of irons that you know go a little longer and would make you more comfortable with approach shots.

Three sets on adverts at the moment: https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_hot+metal+919/. The likes of golf style, deise golf and golf studio all get similar sets traded in regularly so you'd have plenty of options other than Mizuno. Go to range/studio with a computer and hit some demo clubs if you prefer to get hands on.

Any improvement in my play has been down to: Lessons to fix fundamental problems (slices and chunks) then plenty of practice. You can add the better clubs before or after tbh.

Advertisement