Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rung threads on pedal- New crank?

Options
  • 19-06-2021 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm an idiot and got too excited with my bike a couple of years ago. I put on one of the pedals wrong but managed to get it in the right way but it was never sat perfectly and I always worried about having to change it.

I finally bit the bullet and got some new flats (gravel type bike). It seemed to go in ok but after 2 minutes cycling it was done. What options do I have?

Do I have to buy an entirely new crankset? This is about 150 euro for a direct replacement.
    THanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Mechanic might be able to tap and re thread it. 5 minute job if he thinks its doable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If it's the LH crank, a replacement might be cheap enough (is it square taper or something fancier?).

If it's the RH crank, it'll be more expensive, but you might be able to snag a secondhand crank spider (less rings).

Make sure you get the same crank-length if you're only buying one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Trouble is I can't seem to find seperate side cranks and it is the left. It's a praxis set.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

You won;t be able to re-thread as suggested above. You might be able to get a helicoil insert (or threadsert or similar brand) put in. The left hand crank is the left handed thread for the pedal though so I'm not sure if a lot of places would have lh helicoils in stock.
    There a repair kit here but it would be cheaper for you to replace teh crank I think
    https://www.alltricks.com/F-11929-outillage/P-1898576-var_pe_04700_crank_repair_kit?gclid=CjwKCAjwzruGBhBAEiwAUqMR8MEYUILqGUFKT8QC0Y7p5-haiDGrS3z0BNIKESuRgDqDaheitn_QLBoCRI0QAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

Cramcycle on here had a similar issue sorted by The Bike Rack bike shop, depending where you are located, OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I’ll try a few shops near me and get their opinions. Hard to trust half them tbh.

Advertisement