Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog ripped my carpets in rented house, need help

Options
  • 19-06-2021 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So we have a pet Doberman, he's 8 months old now but as a puppy he used the bite the upstairs carpets and tear them no matter how hard we tried to stop him. There are about 6 tear marks in total upstairs. And it's a rented accommodation so we fear we will lose the majority of the deposit if we can't find a quick and cheap fix.

Attached are some photos of it. The rips are about 4 to 6 inches in length.

Has anyone any idea of what to do? There is spare carpet stored under the stair but I think he would notice if I cut up small sections and replaced them.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

jamco91 wrote: »
    So we have a pet Doberman, he's 8 months old now but as a puppy he used the bite the upstairs carpets and tear them no matter how hard we tried to stop him. There are about 6 tear marks in total upstairs. And it's a rented accommodation so we fear we will lose the majority of the deposit if we can't find a quick and cheap fix.

Attached are some photos of it. The rips are about 4 to 6 inches in length.

Has anyone any idea of what to do? There is spare carpet stored under the stair but I think he would notice if I cut up small sections and replaced them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

No photo's attached.

I certainly wouldn't cut up the spare, then you'd be damaging 2 things.

How big is the section of carpet that the damage is in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamco91

Seanergy wrote: »
    No photo's attached.

I certainly wouldn't cut up the spare, then you'd be damaging 2 things.

How big is the section of carpet that the damage is in?

I`m struggling to add photos, how do I do this?

The tears are in each room (Hall, 2 bedrooms). So I`d assume the whole carpet would need replacement if he wanted.

Also, the spare carpet would only be enough to cover the hall carpet replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

You should recarpet it with similar or better quality.

That's a big dog to be inside, he will get restless easily and be a chewer up to around 2 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamco91

ikeano29 wrote: »

That's a big dog to be inside, he will get restless easily and be a chewer up to around 2 year old

He is actually great now, we spent a lot of time training him and he honestly does not chew anything anymore bar his chew toys. He gets 3 walk a day and usually a run with me in the evening so he getting enough exercise :)

Is recarpeting a tough job? I assume you buy the carpet, cut it to size and glue it on. After taking up the old one. I wonder what it would cost if he was to get someone to do it. I might just bite the bullet, tell him whast the dog did, and say that I am happy to recarpet it with my brothers help. Must try get a cost for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

Did your landlord give permission for you to keep a dog in their property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Get rid of the dog and pay for them
    Damage you caused

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

He is actually great now, we spent a lot of time training him and he honestly does not chew anything anymore bar his chew toys. He gets 3 walk a day and usually a run with me in the evening so he getting enough exercise :)

Is recarpeting a tough job? I assume you buy the carpet, cut it to size and glue it on. After taking up the old one. I wonder what it would cost if he was to get someone to do it. I might just bite the bullet, tell him whast the dog did, and say that I am happy to recarpet it with my brothers help. Must try get a cost for it.

Get a quote for recarpet off ar reputable shop in the area so you know the cost of replacement. Then tell the landlord about the damage and ask him what he wants to do about it. Come to an agreement and stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

ikeano29 wrote: »

This.

You need to replace the carpets or lose your deposit - normal wear and tear doesnt cover a doberman ripping lumps out of a carpet.

You also need to walk the dog more so he doesnt get bored and start wrecking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You don’t glue carpets down.

You do realise that Dobermans are a restricted breed in Ireland ?
    Must be walked on a metal lead and muzzled outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

The tears are in each room (Hall, 2 bedrooms). So I`d assume the whole carpet would need replacement if he wanted.

Also, the spare carpet would only be enough to cover the hall carpet replacement.

I think you need to have a minimum number of posts to attach things, think 50 posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Did the landlord give you permission to have an animal in the house?

Either way, you are paying for a carpet replacement in any case. Don't try and con another person buy gluing squares into it or whatever con you are thinking of doing.

Try this outfit, it's simple and fast. After selecting images from your machine, make sure you tick the use in forums box.

https://postimages.org/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Fitting isn't the pricey part of getting carpet. Try Carpetrite (assuming the existing carpet wasn't luxurious).

No but to do it properly yes. Exacto, come clean, hands up in the air ;) tell your man what's happened and be prepared to pay for recarpeting before you move on. Don't go repacing it now as the dog may still mess up again.

Small bit of glue to tack down the carpet might be a good idea to prevent the dog ripping the strips further.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ted1 wrote: »
    You don’t glue carpets down.
    That's not necessarily true. I have a glued down cheap carpet in one room.

I still wouldn't DIY though. That'll look awful and you may still end up losing your deposit.

I would just leave the carpet, start saving towards a new deposit and cross the landlord bridge when you come to leave.

Otherwise you risk losing your deposit and being homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

You can't blame the dog so this is 100% your fault.
    Put it down to the cost of dog ownership.

Your choice is to tell the LL and ask him what he wants or you can replace it like for like.

Either way you need to make right the damage you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

It's not really a diy job especially if there is an underlay if you haven't done it before. I have put down foam backed carpet which doesn't need underlay in an unimportant room but no way would I do the proper stuff that needs the stretching tools and knowledge to lay it right.

There is a huge variation in price range obviously and if small areas you can get some great bargains in the warehouse places that have random offcuts. They usually have names of people that will lay it for you. Measure up, get a quote and see what is the best thing to do then, no real way to repair tears in carpet!

Personally, I've had my stairs/landing and a bedroom done in carpet about 2 years ago, and it took three lads nearly 4 hours. There's no way would I DIY it. They did a fantastic job, though, I'll give them that.

For what it's worth, 'spot replacement' is possible. I've never done it myself, but a friend has had it done. They just cut a square out of the carpet, around where it was damaged, and they stick a new piece in. Probably the reason your landlord has 'spare' carpet. My friends looks as-new, but hers has no pattern or design or anything on it, which probably helps. I think it was cheap enough, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

I'd let the landlord know what happened.Most people are pretty decent when you're honest with them. About patching up a carpet, I got a carpet at home and didn't make it clear to the fitters that I wanted it to go right into a fireplace in a spare room(because the fire wasn't used any more) The guys cut out the piece inside the fire grate! They just went out to the van and brought in this iron sort of thing. They "welded" on a piece of carpet in the gap! The smell was horrendous for a couple of hours but the job certainly worked. The seam was barely perceptible.And that was thirty years ago! Might be even better solutions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 billo516

Did your landlord give permission for you to keep a dog in their property?

Any answer ?

• Advertisement

Talk to the landlord and be up front about what happened.

I think you are facing them either deducting the full cost of replacing the damaged carpets from your deposit when you move, or the other option is you can offer to pay from your own pocket to replace them now.

There is no reason why the landlord should accept a patched up carpet.

Carpet Rite, as suggested, usually have underlay and fitting built into the price.

But at 8 months, your dog is still a puppy. I'd wait, as he might still do more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

I’m surprised the landlord allowed such a dog in a rental property, be up front with the landlord and see what they say, don’t try and patch it up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The landlord is entitled to the same quality carpets if you replace them.
    I would leave them till you are moving and then let the landlord replace them and furnish you with the receipt. If the carpets are new I would expect you to pay full cost, if older you agree a percentage.

No point in putting in new carpets now and having further wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You do realise that Dobermans are a restricted breed in Ireland ?
    Must be walked on a metal lead and muzzled outside the house.
    What's that got to do with sorting the ripped carpet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Tazzimus wrote: »

It was always going to be a matter of time before the thinly veiled "you shouldn't rent with a dog" posts showed up.

Antares35 wrote: »
    It was always going to be a matter of time before the thinly veiled "you shouldn't rent with a dog" posts showed up.

You shouldn’t rent, with a dog, without the landlords consent.

Repairing ripped carpets in a rented house is not a DIY job unless you’re a carpet fitter. It’s not your house to be messing around with.

The fact the OP thinks it’s a DIY job suggests he’d also think it’s okay to get a dog and not ask the landlord.

Call the landlord and tell them you got a dog and it damaged their property. It’s up to them to decide how to repair the damage and whether or not the dog stays or you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tazzimus wrote: »

A lot, they are restricted breeds for a reason. They are destructive and like to get their teeth into things. There will be more damage

Also if the op is willing to try and pull a fast one over his landlord, it displays a certain level of disrespect he may have, do no harm in reminding him of the laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

JayZeus wrote: »
    The fact the OP thinks it’s a DIY job suggests he’d also think it’s okay to get a dog and not ask the landlord.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

A lot, they are restricted breeds for a reason. They are destructive and like to get their teeth into things. There will be more damage

Also if the op is willing to try and pull a fast one over his landlord, it displays a certain level of disrespect he may have, do no harm in reminding him of the laws.
    Any dog can be destructive if they're bored, it's not specific to Doberman.
    That's not a reason for them to be on that ridiculous list anyway.

• Advertisement

Breed has nothing to do with destructiveness.

The dog is still a pup, all puppies get destructive if left alone for too long or they get bored, irrespective of breed.

As well as that, the pup was probably teething. Pups teeth between 6 weeks to 6-8 months (ish) , so they chew and chew and chew!

You can buy teething aids for dogs, just as you can for babies!

Advertisement