Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Options in South Kilkenny?

• 20-06-2021 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi. Can I please ask if anyone in the Inistioge area is receiving Saorview via an aerial, either indoor or roof aerial?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

This is the reply for Inistioge on The Saorview coverage checker.

Search result:
    We're sorry. SAORVIEW coverage is a challenge in your area. Please consult a reputable aerial installer for further information and advice. Although SAORVIEW cannot reach all locations, viewers in the Republic of Ireland are likely to be covered by the SAORSAT satellite in-fill solution. For up to date information please check www.saorsat.ie

Don't worry too much about it, I get the same for my location here in North East Wicklow and can actually receive from both the Kippure main transmitter and the Greystones fill-in. I have two tv's with separate outdoor aerials receiving separately from both transmitters ... just to prove the point.

Best bet is to have a word with someone local - there are very few areas that are impossible for Saorview (terrestrial) coverage and someone will know what to use in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dubguy45

Thank you for the information. From what you said can I assume that the S2 tuner on a TV, i.e. LG will tune to Saorsat.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

dubguy45 wrote: »
    Thank you for the information. From what you said can I assume that the S2 tuner on a TV, i.e. LG will tune to Saorsat.

Cheers.

It will, but you would probably be better off trying a terrestrial aerial for Saorview first. Saorsat is usually a last remaining option, for a very few people - can be a complicated setup as it's not on Astra 28.2 so you would have to do a more complicated install if you want to get the UK free to air satellite channels as well, and then some Saorsat output, particularly sports events, can be subject to geo blocking.

Have a look for what antennas are being used locally and give it a try... chances are any reception problems are already solved with some local knowledge.

For me the best option would be to get the RTE and other Irish channels on Saorview (antenna) and then use your TV sat tuner for a dish aligned to Astra 28.2 for all the free UK based channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dubguy45

Cheers. All you said makes sense. If I can get a confirmation of the Saorview aerial working in the area that would be job done. I would rather skip Saorsat. Appreciate your input.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to terrestrial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

dubguy45 wrote: »
    Cheers. All you said makes sense. If I can get a confirmation of the Saorview aerial working in the area that would be job done. I would rather skip Saorsat ...

Depends what you mean by 'the area'; with the valley terrain involved, the confirmation would need to be from close to your reception site.
    Inistioge had its own fill-in transmitter before the digital switchover.

Advertisement