Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media reaction with no facts - Carlow Secondary School

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Typical clowns jumping on the bandwagon without even bothering to check if it was true.

A lot of apologies need to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Kudos to Sadlier. He seems like a genuine fella.
    He made a mistake and apologised. May teach him to fact check from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There needs to be some proper controls and transparency from online news sources.
    There are countless examples of stories that get ninja-edited hours or days after release, with no way of seeing the previous content.

It's dangerous stuff if we the public can't rely on the accuracy of the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Calhoun wrote: »

Makes you wonder why any man young or old would want to teach in any schools here reading that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

Nice introduction to Aodhan O'Riordan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And of course, the same media will pile on the politicians and others with their own anti-outrage.

"How dare they be outraged about an outrage story we published that later turned out to be false?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

newhouse87 wrote: »
    So should sadlier not have apologized? Sure he is protecting himself but the rest didnt bother and just hope it will be swept under the carpet.

Maybe someone who promotes himself as a mental health expert on podcasts, radio, print media, social media & TV should have shut up and made no comment on it in the first place without knowing the facts at all, Then there would have been no need for him to make a non apology, apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Tbh most of the crowd who decided to mud sling are in the public eye and even public representatives- Aodhan O’Riordan, Ruth Coppingers and Mick Barry are TDs with oireachteas.ie email addresses for example. Hazel Chu is a public representative also. If people really want to hold them to account for their stupidity they should simply email them and (politely) tell them that they expect them to publicly apologise for what they did. If they get enough emails (and I mean every single person who feels strongly about it) from they people they rely on for their livelihood they might realise how unacceptable their behaviour was and take a moment next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Maybe someone who promotes himself as a mental health expert on podcasts, radio, print media, social media & TV should have shut up and made no comment on it in the first place without knowing the facts at all, Then there would have been no need for him to make a non apology, apology.

Obviously he should have shut up like the rest of them, but he apologized and admitted wrongdoing, the others haven't, they are worse and probably see no wrong in their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Interesting to see how many of those tweeters admonishing innocent male teachers without so much as a shred of evidence participated in the #bekind social media initiative when a former Reality TV star who was alleged to have seriously assaulted her boyfriend while he was sleeping committed suicide before it got to court....due to media and social pressure seemingly.

Male and Female feminists really are the idiots of our time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

paw patrol wrote: »
    Jill Kerby apologised and did so properly.
    sadlier talked of feelings instead of the true allegation he made which was one of pedophilia. Go read it and tell me otherwise.

I don't know who Jill Kerby is but it's good that she apologised if she was also part of this.

Richie did talk of 'feelings' but expanded in this tweet that I referred to in my post.

https://twitter.com/RichieSadlier/status/1406642016302272513

I hope this is to your satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

That's a really good article. Shows how utterly shameful the original pile on was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I don't know who Jill Kerby is but it's good that she apologised if she was also part of this.

She's a Canadian/Irish financial journalist.

And she's old enough to know better; which may explain why she had the maturity and basic decency to apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Is there a dimmer individual than Sinead O'Carroll (editor of The Journal) in Irish media.

Linking this incident to why girls drop out of sport.

Whilst shaming innocent men who are involved in coaching girls sport.

There is a huge lesson for any man here, don't touch off girls sport with a barge pole, it's too dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Kudos to Sadlier. He seems like a genuine fella.
    He made a mistake and apologised. May teach him to fact check from now on.

"famous of course for scoring in a UEFA European U-18 third place play-off"

This is why Twitter should be "cancelled"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Correct.

Although what I find truly remarkable is that she's somehow managed to found a man stupid enough to marry her.

I'm no fan of Hazel chus politics but that's over the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,495 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Feelings trump facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Richie did talk of 'feelings' but expanded in this tweet that I referred to in my post.

https://twitter.com/RichieSadlier/status/1406642016302272513

I hope this is to your satisfaction.

my satisfaction eh? Ok fair enough, I no longer want sadlier's pound of flesh.

But in my defence that bit came much later. I don't hang about twitter waiting for the brain dumps of former irish soccer stars with a penchant for dethroning Bressie as the Mental Health King of Ireland.

kerby is a finance journo , no feelings for her :pac: straight up facts.

https://twitter.com/JillKerby/status/1406550201742114816
    1/ I wholeheartedly & sincerely apologise to your school and teachers for the offensive tweet I wrote responding to the false allegations that were made about them last November. I shouldn't have done it - it was a bad lapse of judgement on my part… /2

/2 …and as an experienced journalist I should have known better than to get caught up in the moment & became part of the ugly ‘pile-on’ culture that happens too often here on
    @Twitter

Bandwagon jumping idiots the lot of them.

The story sounded unbelievable at the time but of course these muppets were climbing over each other to make sure they got on the bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think with a lot of these stories the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I fully believe something was said to those girls by a member of staff and it was picked up incorrectly/spiralled.

Cant disagree with the Press Council’s findings though. The view of one side was represented as factual when there was nothing to back that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Bandwagon jumping idiots the lot of them.

The story sounded unbelievable at the time but of course these muppets were climbing over each other to make sure they got on the bandwagon.

Time to pile back with emails, DOS-esque:D
    https://carlow-nationalist.ie/contact-us/

news@carlow-nationalist.ie

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

my satisfaction eh? Ok fair enough, I no longer want sadlier's pound of flesh.

But in my defence that bit came much later. I don't hang about twitter waiting for the brain dumps of former irish soccer stars with a penchant for dethroning Bressie as the Mental Health King of Ireland.

It's a fair enough defence. I thought the initial apology was a bit flimsy but the additional tweet was much better.
    kerby is a finance journo , no feelings for her :pac: straight up facts.

https://twitter.com/JillKerby/status/1406550201742114816

That's an excellent apology.

I really hope they both learn from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

Faugheen wrote: »
    I think with a lot of these stories the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Herein lies the problem … even though the facts are it was fake news and you accept that you are still
    Convinced that something untoward happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

I’d add a few oireachteas.ie email address to that, and a few other media outlets like the journal.ie. At this stage they need to be held accountable and eat some humble pie with a public apology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭tjhook

Well-known people have the power to make or break reputations using social media. With power comes responsibility. But these days nobody is expected to take personal responsibility. Everything is "society's fault" or "the wealthy's fault". Maybe a few incidents like this will change that? Pity it has to come at such personal expense for innocent people.

I do believe that those who have apologised in a genuine fashion will have learned a valuable lesson from this. I'd be willing to give them a second chance - but if they don't learn from this, I'd lose all respect for them.

As for those who haven't apologised, the clock is ticking. The longer they leave it, the more it'll look like it was dragged out of them. Like damage limitation. Ms. Chu? Aodan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Faugheen wrote: »
    I fully believe something was said to those girls by a member of staff and it was picked up incorrectly/spiralled.

Or you could just believe the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Still up on newstalk website
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/students-at-carlow-school-told-wearing-tight-clothing-during-pe-1111111

Why it is taking until now and AFTER an investigation for those who spread it to start apologising is quite unbelievable.

Andrea Gilligan and Kacey O'Riordan were the most vocal of all. They thought they had a scoop and went on and on and on for 3/4 days.

Even after they had been told it was incorrect, they still went on and refused to apologise and as above the story is still lying published.

I suspect that there will be a mega damages claim by several teaching and management staff of the school against the nationalist and newstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

tjhook wrote: »
    Well-known people have the power to make or break reputations using social media. With power comes responsibility. But these days nobody is expected to take personal responsibility. Everything is "society's fault" or "the wealthy's fault". Maybe a few incidents like this will change that? Pity it has to come at such personal expense for innocent people.

I do believe that those who have apologised in a genuine fashion will have learned a valuable lesson from this. I'd be willing to give them a second chance - but if they don't learn from this, I'd lose all respect for them.

As for those who haven't apologised, the clock is ticking. The longer they leave it, the more it'll look like it was dragged out of them. Like damage limitation. Ms. Chu? Aodan?

Apologies re as cheap as chips these days: these folk need to be bankrupted through massive damages awards.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Or you could just believe the facts.

I do believe the facts.

“The Council made its decision on the basis that the newspaper had failed to demonstrate that the article was supported by adequate and verifiable sources to confirm its accuracy and accordingly was a breach of Principle 1.”

The facts are there was no evidence to back it up other than what was said on social media, which was represented as facts despite the fact this can’t be so. Nothing in that finding which says nothing was said to the students.

You think it’s impossible that one, single staff member didn’t pass a remark?

The manner in which is was reported was a disgrace though. I don’t think one single reporter specified that there was no indication that any male staff had suggested it was distracting. That’s where the problems are, and those publications wouldn’t have a leg to stand on if legal proceedings were brought.

As has been highlighted, male staff were made to look like perverts when there was never any suggestion that any male member of staff said anything of the sort.

Advertisement