Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media reaction with no facts - Carlow Secondary School

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Calhoun wrote: »

Few brilliant nuggets in that piece :D
    Their education spokesman, Aodhan O’Riordan, managed to take some time off from objecting to houses being built in his constituency, to enlighten us with his thoughts on this issue
    Former TD Ruth Coppinger, no stranger to bandwagons, gave her thoughts on this issue
    Soccer pundit Richie Sadlier, famous of course for scoring in a UEFA European U-18 third place play-off, decided to use humour to blame the teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Faugheen wrote: »
    I do believe the facts.

Nothing in that finding which says nothing was said to the students.

You think it’s impossible that one, single staff member didn’t pass a remark?

So, you believe the facts, but you also believe there are more ‘facts’ that we haven’t been made aware of, because it’s not impossible?

It’s this sort of attitude that makes the teachers’ positions almost impossible. They should get large compensation payments and opportunities to retrain / move schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Darc19 wrote: »
    Still up on newstalk website
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/students-at-carlow-school-told-wearing-tight-clothing-during-pe-1111111

Why it is taking until now and AFTER an investigation for those who spread it to start apologising is quite unbelievable.

Andrea Gilligan and Kacey O'Riordan were the most vocal of all. They thought they had a scoop and went on and on and on for 3/4 days.

Even after they had been told it was incorrect, they still went on and refused to apologise and as above the story is still lying published.

I suspect that there will be a mega damages claim by several teaching and management staff of the school against the nationalist and newstalk

Defamation can be an extremely costly business for those who engage in it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/harney-receives-450000-over-radio-alcoholic-slur-26729698.html

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So, you believe the facts, but you also believe there are more ‘facts’ that we haven’t been made aware of, because it’s not impossible?

It’s this sort of attitude that makes the teachers’ positions almost impossible. They should get large compensation payments and opportunities to retrain / move schools.

I said ‘I believe’.

It’s very possible to accept the findings of the Press Council, which as I have outlined say nowhere that a remark wasn’t made to students.

I’ll ask again, do you think it is possible that a remark was made by one, single member of staff? I’m not stating this as a fact, I’m saying that I believe a remark was made and was picked up incorrectly, leading to the **** show that ensued.

Like the way you cut out the rest of my post which stated that I agreed with the findings and said publications have no leg to stand on if legal proceedings were brought, as well as how they portrayed male staff to be.

Why did you do that? To make it look like I didn’t say it? Why are you being so disingenuous?

I gave my thoughts on a scenario I believe is likely to have happened which led to the story spiralling the way it did. You, like many others here, decide to selectively quote and twist my words into something they’re not.

I’ll leave it there. Clearly some people either can’t read or choose not to read and look for outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Kudos to Sadlier. He seems like a genuine fella.
    He made a mistake and apologised. May teach him to fact check from now on.

The hilarious part is that it looks like he believed the media reports and was duped on social media into a pile-on. Two things which he should be telling all his clients not to do.

#Bekindmehole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Newbie20 wrote: »
    As a male teacher in an all girls school, I feel very angry about this story. If I was a teacher in this school I wouldn’t be letting this go. All these “do gooders”, they’ve no problem tarnishing someone’s good reputation when there’s a bandwagon to be jumped on. Disgraceful.

There’s a lot of things that scare me but your job terrifies me. One misinterpreted sentence in your world could be the end of your reputation, marriage and career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Just goes to show how damaging these accusations are. Even when found to be false they will still follow you around, some people just want to believe drama and gossip. Bit of excitement in their lives I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭archfi

Just goes to show how damaging these accusations are. Even when found to be false they will still follow you around, some people just want to believe drama and gossip. Bit of excitement in their lives I suppose.

It distracts from the richly deserved criticism of the ignorant, pile-on cohort they would support.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Faugheen wrote: »

I’ll ask again, do you think it is possible that a remark was made by one, single member of staff? I’m not stating this as a fact, I’m saying that I believe a remark was made and was picked up incorrectly

I gave my thoughts on a scenario I believe is likely to have happened which led to the story spiralling the way it did. You, like many others here, decide to selectively quote and twist my words into something they’re not.

I’ll leave it there. Clearly some people either can’t read or choose not to read and look for outrage.

So, again, you believe there is more to the story than we are privy to and at least one teacher is in fact guilty of making inappropriate remarks. Despite having no evidence whatsoever, you just made up a scenario which you insist is not impossible, so you believe it to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Aodhan O'Riordan really is a clown getting involved with this. He already had a legal letter sent to him regarding stuff he said about the Belfast Rugby Rape Trial, and now he gets involved in this?

Hope he gets sued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That is not an apology. It's not even vaguely related to an apology.

"Happy to share the below"- cowardice, he knows f*cking well that most people won't click the link.

Should be made to share the full text of the report as acknowledgement of the lies that were perpretrated.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1407057979111845891

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

^^^^^

That is not an apology. It's not even vaguely related to an apology.

"Happy to share the below"- cowardice, he knows f*cking well that most people won't click the link.

Should be made to share the full text of the report as acknowledgement of the lies that were perpretrated.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1407057979111845891

"Happy to share the below"

And these people wonder why huge swathes of the population have no respect for them or their profession

Sadlier’s apology seems genuine to me. I actually think that behind all the mannerisms and ‘meaningful’ pauses, he may be a little naive and innocent. Reminds me of the faux intellectual that we all knew and loved at university.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Sadlier’s apology seems genuine to me. I actually think that behind all the mannerisms and ‘meaningful’ pauses, he may be a little naive and innocent. Reminds me of the faux intellectual that we all knew and loved at university.

It's a common trait these days, an infantile attitude that seems to be everywhere.

Twitter brings out the inner idiot in even the most educated person....as for the run of the mill idiot, well someone should just take their phones off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Glad to see heat on those who piled on.

Regarding Sadlier, seems the fellow is damned if he does, damned he doesn't on his apology. Whatever the motivation for the apology I think there's plenty of humble pie for him. Stupid Teacher A and Teacher B tweet from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I think with Sadlier he was damned in his apology because his first go at it was a non-apology and you can see the difference in an apology when you look at Kirby's.

Its only when you actually click into it do you see that he was sorry but should have been on his original tweet.

Regardless the school and teachers should look at a libel case, the only way to ensure future fact checking is for financial hits.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a case in some form. Although im not sure who would be more libel, the carlow nationalist of the commentators.

I don't know if Richie is naive or innocent but he is a highly trained and accredited psychotherapist with a special interest in the mental health and wellbeing of teenagers. In fact that's the age group he mostly works with as far as I know. That may have motivated his initial outrage.

I don't know if Richie is naive or innocent but he is a highly trained and accredited psychotherapist with a special interest in the mental health and wellbeing of teenagers. In fact that's the age group he mostly works with as far as I know. That may have motivated his initial outrage.

People on twitter have been picking up on that and have put it to him that someone who knows the mental health impact piling on.

He then did apologies in a more meaningful manner.

People on twitter have been picking up on that and have put it to him that someone who knows the mental health impact piling on.

He then did apologies in a more meaningful manner.

I thought it was interesting how some people in the public eye were very quick to assume the story was accurate. When you are a politician, mental health advocate, or whatever then you have a responsibility to be careful with your words. When I first heard the allegations I thought they were very strange.

The rush to judgement is I think part of a wider narrative which has been on the rise and that is "men are sexual predators so this kind of thing is no surprise".

• Advertisement

Its a changing of the times a little bit, libel and defamation laws have yet to catchup with the new social media era, they will eventually and things will quite down.

This could be one of the incidents that starts to change it.

As for the general public they will always react to stories they hear, i don't so much blame the wider public because the right reaction when you hear that there were men commenting on clothes that female girls are wearing is to condemn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Before social media there were parents/students who would tell lies about teachers and they'd be gossip in the local town. It would generally die down after a while because most people would know locally that they were just loud mouths.
    However now a days due to social media they've a wider audience and people fall it.
    That being said I have little respect who believe everything they read online and take it as a given fact right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

Tbh these clowns rely on people having short attention spans. Start a mob and then keep their heads down when the inconvenient truth comes out. The only way to stop it, and what I’d urge anyone with an interest to do, is by not letting them skulk away. Email them, connect on Twitter and ask them where their apology is. Write emails to the letters pages of the newspapers condemning their behaviour- even the rags with an agenda will eventually publish if the see the wind of change blowing hard. It takes as long to write an email as to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Also there’s a big difference between Karen from the estate and people in elected positions sharing online gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Aodhan O'Riordan is a teacher himself, so is Ruth Coppinger. Clowns the pair of them, I hope their colleagues remember this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

The strangest things about that article are that (a) it was published 7 months ago and (b) the most sensible people in it are Micheál Martin and John McGuirk!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is there a dimmer individual than Sinead O'Carroll (editor of The Journal) in Irish media.

Linking this incident to why girls drop out of sport.

Whilst shaming innocent men who are involved in coaching girls sport.

There is a huge lesson for any man here, don't touch off girls sport with a barge pole, it's too dangerous.

This is one of the reasons I'm apprehensive to get involved with coaching sports. My two kids play football and basketball and they're always looking for volunteers, but when this carryon is prolific........

We're living in an era where people think they're entitled to their own facts so as what happened here - the truth doesn't really matter.

I don't know who Jill Kerby is but it's good that she apologised if she was also part of this.

Richie did talk of 'feelings' but expanded in this tweet that I referred to in my post.

https://twitter.com/RichieSadlier/status/1406642016302272513

I hope this is to your satisfaction.

That was a thorough apology. Let’s see if Aodhan does anything.

tritium wrote: »
    I’d add a few oireachteas.ie email address to that, and a few other media outlets like the journal.ie. At this stage they need to be held accountable and eat some humble pie with a public apology

Anybody got a link to the journal story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

The voice of reason at the time, John McGuirk was labelled a loon/weirdo at the time because he questioned the validity of the story at the time. He was proved right.

He will be proved right again about Covid19.

There are still fellow journalists of his mocking The Gript which McGuirk is involved in.

Advertisement