Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media reaction with no facts - Carlow Secondary School

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Newbie20 wrote: »
    As a male teacher in an all girls school, I feel very angry about this story. If I was a teacher in this school I wouldn’t be letting this go. All these “do gooders”, they’ve no problem tarnishing someone’s good reputation when there’s a bandwagon to be jumped on. Disgraceful.
    I genuinely think that the teachers should do something.

Not just because of reputation, but also because it might make them wait for facts in the future, but I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Swaine wrote: »
    The voice of reason at the time, John McGuirk was labelled a loon/weirdo at the time because he questioned the validity of the story at the time. He was proved right.

He will be proved right again about Covid19.

There are still fellow journalists of his mocking The Gript which McGuirk is involved in.

Id like see mcguirk in politics, an actual right wing candidate that's not a racist loon like them national party idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Id like see mcguirk in politics, an actual right wing candidate that's not a racist loon like them national party idiots.

He already tried that and unsurprisingly failed miserably.

This is one of the reasons I'm apprehensive to get involved with coaching sports. My two kids play football and basketball and they're always looking for volunteers, but when this carryon is prolific........

The same people who claim that men's worries are all in their heads are the ones who also push this nonsense. And no matter what, they will never change their opinions even when proven to be nonsense. Because they believe something. And will insist that their belief can be backed up by potential facts that may exist and therefore they're justified in not changing their opinion while calling everyone else bigots.

limnam wrote: »
    "famous of course for scoring in a UEFA European U-18 third place play-off"

This is why Twitter should be "cancelled"

It's based on what anyone has to admit was a lovely bit of trolling from an RTE producer.:

556594.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Acosta wrote: »
    He already tried that and unsurprisingly failed miserably.

Oh didnt know that, dont think he can fake niceness to get the vote unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Whatever about the original article and the Press Council's ruling, the school did behave very poorly. The school principal gave an interview on Morning Ireland last year which shows how endemic the problem of bodyshaming is - he genuinely thought there was no problem with how they handled the issue. Linky

Can you expand on how the school behaved poorly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The story generally shows why it is wise to distrust the mainstream media/twitterati reporting or reaction to any story. Journalists and politicians will claim a wholly unearned position as truthtellers to the general public. They will pretend its a dangerous conspiracy theory to not unquestioningly accept whatever narrative they deliver to you. Give me control of a nation's media, and I care not who makes its laws.

People have gotten lazy. Sad as it is, the reality is you have to ignore the media, go to the primary sources and evaluate them yourself with whatever resources you have to spare after doing your own day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The same people who claim that men's worries are all in their heads are the ones who also push this nonsense. And no matter what, they will never change their opinions even when proven to be nonsense. Because they believe something. And will insist that their belief can be backed up by potential facts that may exist and therefore they're justified in not changing their opinion while calling everyone else bigots.

It was in accordance with the teachings of their religion though, so whether it was true or not the condemnation asserts the strength of their faith. It's the equivalent of religious devotees seeing the face of Jesus in bread or in streaks on a window. It gets 'truer' the more people repeat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,746 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sand wrote: »
    The story generally shows why it is wise to distrust the mainstream media/twitterati reporting or reaction to any story. Journalists and politicians will claim a wholly unearned position as truthtellers to the general public. They will pretend its a dangerous conspiracy theory to not unquestioningly accept whatever narrative they deliver to you. Give me control of a nation's media, and I care not who makes its laws.

People have gotten lazy. Sad as it is, the reality is you have to ignore the media, go to the primary sources and evaluate them yourself with whatever resources you have to spare after doing your own day job.

The problem nowadays really is there are too many groupings defined as 'the media' and by definition much easier access to various 'media' outlets.
    All compounded by the 'everyone can have their say' on Twitter etc which makes these things much harder to control.
    I said it on another thread about another topic but would this 'story' have made mainstream publicity were it not for Twitter and the likes? Would most likely never have gotten outside of Carlow (if it was even printed in the first instance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Sand

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    It was in accordance with the teachings of their religion though, so whether it was true or not the condemnation asserts the strength of their faith. It's the equivalent of religious devotees seeing the face of Jesus in bread or in streaks on a window. It gets 'truer' the more people repeat it.

That is just it. It was so unbelievable that anyone, let alone male teachers who would be well aware of how precarious their position is, would make the reported statements to schoolgirls. That is how the story travelled - how could anyone say these things?

Yet these so called truthtellers lapped up the nonsense and believed it wholeheartedly. Not an ounce of doubt because the story subscribed to their bias. So bizarre that a guy like Michael Martin ended up looking good out of all of this by simply exercising some basic caution to reserve judgement until the facts are established. I don't expect any of the twitter mob to learn anything from this because they wont be held to account. We live in a post-truth society. We may as well buckle up and accept the consequences.

That is just it. It was so unbelievable that anyone, let alone male teachers who would be well aware of how precarious their position is, would make the reported statements to schoolgirls. That is how the story travelled - how could anyone say these things?

Yet these so called truthtellers lapped up the nonsense and believed it wholeheartedly. Not an ounce of doubt because the story subscribed to their bias. So bizarre that a guy like Michael Martin ended up looking good out of all of this by simply exercising some basic caution to reserve judgement until the facts are established. I don't expect any of the twitter mob to learn anything from this because they wont be held to account. We live in a post-truth society. We may as well buckle up and accept the consequences.

What is post truth?

Surely it's just a society where information of any description is quickly created, spread and accessed?
    Everyone has a loud hailer nowadays in the form of Twitter.

There hasn't been a time in history where people should or indeed would have believed everything they are told. That is no different now.
    What is different is there are plenty idiots out there who, as you say, will believe what suits their bias then regurgitate is as truth to whomever will listen.
    A hard place to come back from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

So who has apologised of the twitter mob. Sadlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

kippy wrote: »
    What is post truth?

Surely it's just a society where information of any description is quickly created, spread and accessed?
    Everyone has a loud hailer nowadays in the form of Twitter.

There hasn't been a time in history where people should or indeed would have believed everything they are told. That is no different now.
    What is different is there are plenty idiots out there who, as you say, will believe what suits their bias then regurgitate is as truth to whomever will listen.
    A hard place to come back from.

I think we have moved into a 'post-truth' era, it used to be a mainstream belief among intellectual elites in the west, apart from maybe France, that truth had intrinsic value, regardless of the impact on sacred beliefs and ideologies. Now, the pretend intellectual elite believe and promote the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

So who has apologised of the twitter mob. Sadlier.

Jill Kerby (finance journo, tbf apologised properly) and Gavan Reilly whose amounted to "sorry, not sorry"

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1407057979111845891

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Sounds like bordering on tin foil hat territory to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Darc19 wrote: »
    Still up on newstalk website
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/students-at-carlow-school-told-wearing-tight-clothing-during-pe-1111111

Why it is taking until now and AFTER an investigation for those who spread it to start apologising is quite unbelievable.

Andrea Gilligan and Kacey O'Riordan were the most vocal of all. They thought they had a scoop and went on and on and on for 3/4 days.

Even after they had been told it was incorrect, they still went on and refused to apologise and as above the story is still lying published.

I suspect that there will be a mega damages claim by several teaching and management staff of the school against the nationalist and newstalk

Kacey O'Riordan proudly boasts on her twitter page
    IMRO News Reporter of the Year 2020 Reporter with @NewstalkFM
    @TodayFM
    @98fm
    @Spin1038

And seems to have been one of (if not the) main reporters making sure that everybody was aware of this story.
    She deleted her tweets shortly after being the catalyst on social media for it, but did not say why she deleted them, nor did she say anything else about it possibly being incorrect.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/11/26/irresponsible-journalism-impacts-on-wexford-staff/

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I think we have moved into a 'post-truth' era, it used to be a mainstream belief among intellectual elites in the west, apart from maybe France, that truth had intrinsic value, regardless of the impact on sacred beliefs and ideologies. Now, the pretend intellectual elite believe and promote the opposite.

There's plenty truth out there and there's plenty lies and gossip - always been the same - just more platforms and avenues for consuming it all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

What about the editor of the journal has she apologised, they're are always on about fact checking. And the use of the f word from her is totally inappropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What's this all about? Am not on twitter. Where can i read about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not at all, in the rush to get news first due diligence is out the window.

Almost all major news outlets are about the clicks first and the story second. This is why so many of them spend so long catering to the 2 percent of the country who are over active Twitter users

And besides exercising critical thinking and not blindly accepting what we are told is a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Swaine wrote: »
    The voice of reason at the time, John McGuirk was labelled a loon/weirdo at the time because he questioned the validity of the story at the time. He was proved right.

He will be proved right again about Covid19.

There are still fellow journalists of his mocking The Gript which McGuirk is involved in.

How is he "right" about Covid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don't know if Richie is naive or innocent but he is a highly trained and accredited psychotherapist with a special interest in the mental health and wellbeing of teenagers. In fact that's the age group he mostly works with as far as I know. That may have motivated his initial outrage.

Sadler is super WOKE, that's what motivated his original outrage

Seriously?

There is almost no analysis in the media, the media reports press releases from x, y and z without scrutiny , just check the corresponding press release, it's sometimes word for word. It's also sometimes word for word among multiple mainstream media outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is an opinion piece article on the Journal this morning about how the media is funded and regulated and the first public comment is about this story and the Journals lack of apology for printing a lie without fact checking it. The fact check articles being something they pride themselves on.

I can imagine that comment will be quickly deleted and the article locked from public comments now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

There is an opinion piece article on the Journal this morning about how the media is funded and regulated and the first public comment is about this story and the Journals lack of apology for printing a lie without fact checking it. The fact check articles being something they pride themselves on.

I can imagine that comment will be quickly deleted and the article locked from public comments now.

Seems to be gone already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Seems to be gone already

Replaced with a new article on how the public turned to trustworthy online media during the pandemic, including RTE and the Journal :pac:

CORRECTION: Actually the Funded and Regulated article is still up, and comments are still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Only if you ignore this part:
    Sand wrote:
    go to the primary sources and evaluate them yourself with whatever resources you have to spare after doing your own day job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Replaced with a new article on how the public turned to trustworthy online media during the pandemic, including RTE and the Journal :pac:

CORRECTION: Actually the Funded and Regulated article is still up, and comments are still open.

Keep commenting on the journal site to keep it active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭CarProblem

Pity the boards thread at the time was deleted, the hysteria on it was sickening as was the abuse hurled at posters (myself included) for merely saying "wait for more details"

Advertisement