Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC again: ‘No whites need apply’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is it perhaps the case that the BBC is rejecting non white CVs en masse and this scheme is needed to redress the imbalance?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Happy Father Figures Day all!!! :)

(except for those that are white fathers that don’t identify as anything and are heterosexual and have had children through the natural channels of having sexual intercourse with the opposite gender, this day is now reserved for everything else other than the aforementioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

listermint wrote: »
    Okay can you provide some links to these cases please.

There are no cases im aware of as you refer to, are you asking about court cases? Its common practice and government policy to give a woman the job even if she is the worst candidate from the seven other males that applied.

Okay can you provide some links to these cases please.

you can look at TV presenters and members of certain Boards as a prime example

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

larva wrote: »
    There are no cases im aware of as you refer to, are you asking about court cases? Its common practice and government policy to give a woman the job even if she is the worst candidate from the seven other males that applied.

And who says she is the worst candidate if the goal here is to get a female perspective into that particular role ?
    You? Wouldnt a man be the worst candidate if your goal is to offer fresh perspective i.e gender required to merit .

Would you agree or disagree men and women have different life experiences therefore can have entirely different perspectives on issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

And let's say a company is hiring and they want to see more female voices in their organisation because the organisation is heavily skewed male and their customers are equally split.

Would you think that having a skewer towards a female hire might come with merit as best person for the job then .

That depends on the quality of the applications, it might be the case that within the applicants that there is a much more suitable male applicant, is it then fair for this male applicant to not be hired in favour of a less suitable female applicant, so that the company can fill a female quota. If the standard of male and female applicants for the job is similar then the company can choose to hire a female applicant in that case.

(except for those that are white fathers that don’t identify as anything and are heterosexual and have had children through the natural channels of having sexual intercourse with the opposite gender, this day is now reserved for everything else other than the aforementioned)

Its horrendous to be this type of abnormal human these days :pac:

dubrov wrote: »
    Any links?

I can believe social mobility increased for Asian kids but it wouldn't make sense across the board

Why not, I saw a survey that most POCS in US elite universities are often from rich backgrounds.

The restrictions on whites in the US are often on working class or middle income whites. The rich whites are often preferred because as well as affirmative action for POCS, the elite schools in the US have affirmative action for white elites i.e. children of alumni, related to staff or benefactors; which probably explains why elite whites are often pro affirmative action. It doesn't affect them.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    That depends on the quality of the applications, it might be the case that within the applicants that there is a much more suitable male applicant, is it then fair for this male applicant to not be hired in favour of an less suitable female applicant, so that the company can fill a female quota. If the standard of male and female applicants for the job is similar then the company can choose to hire a female applicant in that case.

But how would a man have a female perspective? I mean the same people arguing there are two specific genders and that women can't be men and visa versa , the usual suspects on this thread are in other forums going nuts about LGBT issues are over here arguing that men have a better female perspective for a role ..

Doesn't compute ?

And who says she is the worst candidate if the goal here is to get a female perspective into that particular role ?
    You? Wouldnt a man be the worst candidate if your goal is to offer fresh perspective i.e gender required to merit .

Would you agree or disagree men and women have different life experiences therefore can have entirely different perspectives on issues.

It called looking at their curriculum vitae, it sort of goes like this, yes all these candidates are good but shes a woman so the job is heres, lets not bother interviewing.

Of course men and women have different perspectives, that doesnt mean you hire someone becuase you have too many men or vice versa. You hire the best, most suitable person.

• Advertisement

I'm a father, I'm white I'm married to my wife. I don't feel threatened in my life job or anything else.

Who's actually coming for you that makes you this snowflakey?

And when did this all start for you?

It called looking at their curriculum vitae, it sort of goes like this, yes all these candidates are good but shes a woman so the job is heres, lets not bother interviewing.

Of course men and women have different perspectives, that doesnt mean you hire someone becuase you have too many men or vice versa. You hire the best, most suitable person.

I think you'll find that not bothering interviewing is absolute nonsense. Of course the woman would be interviewed being female wouldn't guarantee the job plenty of women available.

But how would a man have a female perspective? I mean the same people arguing there are two specific genders and that women can't be men and visa versa , the usual suspects on this thread are in other forums going nuts about LGBT issues are over here arguing that men have a better female perspective for a role ..

Doesn't compute ?

What does the lack of sequential hermaphroditism in homo sapiens have to do with "perspective"?

And how are, for example, women who are full-time home makers, or part-time workers, or full-time carers, served by the presence of ambitious career-women in companies? Do those ambitious career women whose children attend daycare have a better insight into the life of a home-maker than, for example, the male spouse of a home-maker?

I think you'll find that not bothering interviewing is absolute nonsense. Of course the woman would be interviewed being female wouldn't guarantee the job plenty of women available.

The phrase "Tongue in cheek" appears to be lost on you :p

Which woman would stand the best chance?
    One born female and living life as one?
    One born female but identifying as non binary?
    One born female but transitioning to male?
    One born male but transitioning to female?

So many choices! Confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Doesn't compute ?

You're twisting what I said to suit yourself, shows that you're fine with discrimination then, not sure what you're on about going nuts in other forums about about LGBT issues?????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Doesn't compute ?

But how far you take it? People's identities can be reduced down a near infinite amount of times.

A man
    a gay man
    a fat gay man
    a fat gay blind man
    a fat gay blind man from London
    a fat gay blind man from London with a working class upbringing
    a fat gay blind man from London with a working class upbringing who is mixed race.
    a fat gay blind man from London with a working class upbringing who is mixed race and gender non conforming

This utopia you seek will always elude you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,648 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I don't need to

The BBC have already said that they are misrepresented.

Read the OP

What does the lack of sequential hermaphroditism in homo sapiens have to do with "perspective"?

And how are, for example, women who are full-time home makers, or part-time workers, or full-time carers, served by the presence of ambitious career-women in companies? Do those ambitious career women whose children attend daycare have a better insight into the life of a home-maker than, for example, the male spouse of a home-maker?

Why would it solely be ambitious career women? I work with plenty of mothers to multiple children. Their perspective to decision making is evidently going to be different to mine. We really value different perspectives rather than homogeneous Irish white middle class college educated man voices. In fact I think we'd miss a trick often because the lived experience of above is so particularly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes i do. Its called government policy to give a particular position to a certain minority if they applied for the job and it helps fill a certain quota to bring parity ie not all white males but a 60/40% "diversity" just to make things appear more equitable.

So just to be clear, the only Government policy for jobs is to give priority to female applicants for a very small number of high level roles when all other aspects are equal.

Board members aren't 'jobs', they are part-time roles with fairly nominal levels of payment involved.

There was a small number of senior academic posts advertised as female-only to address the historical imbalance in that sector.

Just in case you're trying to paint a picture of the poor white male being victimised again....

• Advertisement

But how far you take it? People's identities can be reduced down a near infinite amount of times.

A man
    a gay man
    a fat gay man
    a fat gay blind man
    a fat gay blind man from London with a working class upbringing who is mixed race.
    a fat gay blind man from London with a working class upbringing who is mixed race and gender non conforming

Utopia ? You are the one who doesn't want change ... Your scared someone is coming for you and your son's jobs? So you think we are currently in a utopia and are afraid of change.

Why.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A man
    a gay man
    a fat gay man
    a fat gay blind man

Do you think that's a sensible arguement for doing nothing?

We're all going to die eventually, but your arguement could be used to block any healthcare because the utopia you seek will always elude you.

I'm a father, I'm white I'm married to my wife. I don't feel threatened in my life job or anything else.

"White" is Americanised nonsense.

And why would you be, I am sure that you have other attributes that strongly privilege you over other "whites". Any discrimination would not affect you.
    Who's actually coming for you that makes you this snowflakey?

And when did this all start for you?

why are you personalising issues here, anyway. I am not going to be affected by discrimination laws, but I am opposed to race or gender based discrimination and laws that guarantee it should be opposed.

On the other hand we ( and more so the UK) should definitely engage in class based discrimination.

Which woman would stand the best chance?
    One born female and living life as one?
    One born female but identifying as non binary?
    One born female but transitioning to male?
    One born male but transitioning to female?

So many choices! Confusing.

Who knows that's why there is interviews I guess.

"White" is Americanised nonsense.

And why would you be, I am sure that you have other attributes that strongly privilege you over other "whites". Any discrimination would not affect you.

why are you personalising issues here, anyway. I am not going to be affected by discrimination laws, but I am opposed to race or gender based discrimination and laws that guarantee it should be opposed.

On the other hand we ( and more so the UK) should definitely engage in class based discrimination.

Class based discrimination should be engaged ?

Huh...

Do you think that's a sensible arguement for doing nothing?

We're all going to die eventually, but your arguement could be used to block any healthcare because the utopia you seek will always elude you.

You work in the Irish civil service, right? Do you work with any non-whites, or even non-irish. If not do you believe we should discriminate against you for promotion, or even replace you?

in the case of the Irish civil service, given its incompetence, there is definitely a case to be made for discrimination.

Their perspective to decision making is evidently going to be different to mine.

Why?

Class based discrimination should be engaged ?

Huh...

Yes, the real discrimination in Ireland is class based. We should discriminate against the established upper middle classes for a few generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

biko wrote: »
    1 they are not restricting non-whites as you implied.
    2 20% of UK population is non-white so they re trying to be proportional.

Are you not ok with the proportion? What proportion would be ok with you?

8% of the UK population is non white, not 20%

• Advertisement

So just to be clear, the only Government policy for jobs is to give priority to female applicants for a very small number of high level roles when all other aspects are equal.

Board members aren't 'jobs', they are part-time roles with fairly nominal levels of payment involved.

There was a small number of senior academic posts advertised as female-only to address the historical imbalance in that sector.

Just in case you're trying to paint a picture of the poor white male being victimised again....

Certain board positions are full time jobs paid extensive salaries, Ervia, An Bord Pleanala would examples .

To advertise any position that excludes any person is racism and yes white males are being victimised in many areas as they are not being employed because they are white males.

Advertisement