Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC again: ‘No whites need apply’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why?

If you need a diagram as to why a woman would have different life experiences than you then... Well I can't help ya fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

listermint wrote: »
    If you need a diagram as to why a woman would have different life experiences than you then... Well I can't help ya fella.

I am a woman.

What now?

larva wrote: »
    Certain board positions are full time jobs paid extensive salaries, Ervia, An Bord Pleanala would examples .

To advertise any position that excludes any person is racism and yes white males are being victimised in many areas as they are not being employed because they are white males.

Maybe they aren't getting the roles because they bring the same borish trinity educated privileged up bringing to the role ? Like most of the government departments and dail....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

Utopia ? You are the one who doesn't want change ... Your scared someone is coming for you and your son's jobs? So you think we are currently in a utopia and are afraid of change.

Why.

I'm not afraid of black gender fluid person of color.
    I am afraid of a society that values diversity more than meritocracy. I grew up in a place that valued background more than meritocracy and it sucked.

• Advertisement

I am a woman.

What now?

Ok, so you believe you have the same lived experiences as a male then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Maybe they aren't getting the roles because they bring the same borish trinity educated privileged up bringing to the role ? Like most of the government departments and dail....

Depends on who you vote for, im guessing you dont bother.

titan18 wrote: »

That's a UK link. The poster said they know various people. Any Irish links to anyone being overlooked as that poster stated?

8% of the UK population is non white, not 20%

actually 86.32% white in 2016. Only 3% black though. The rest are Asian ( south and east), mixed and so on. Not all the whites are "British white".

Depends on who you vote for, im guessing you dont bother.

Actually I do and have done since I could.

What was the point you are making ?

• Advertisement

How do you define a woman here?

Actually I do and have done since I could.

What was the point you are making ?

Ive already made it to you about ten posts ago but you havent appeared to grasp it yet.

actually 86.32% white in 2016. Only 3% black though. The rest are Asian ( south and east), mixed and so on. Not all the whites are "British white".

Still not 20% is the main point. BBC are overrepresenting the BAME grouping or whatever they're calling themselves now by having 20% down on it. Also the bon British whites are highly discriminated against in the BBCs policy here.

How do you define a woman here?

What does their CV and in person interview say ?

I don't know is it a trick question?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We should definitely have proportional representation in binmen, factory workers, cleaners and chip shop workers.

That's a UK link. The poster said they know various people. Any Irish links to anyone being overlooked as that poster stated?

I've no idea in Ireland. You asked for one case though, so you got one. Also this thread is about an UK organisations decision anyway so an UK example is more relevant.

I've no idea in Ireland. You asked for one case though, so you got one. Also this thread is about an UK organisations decision anyway so an UK example is more relevant.

It's not though the poster made the assertion in a personal Irish capacity I asked for proof. You've provided none that meets what I asked. So ...

biko wrote: »
    We should definitely have proportional representation in binmen, factory workers, cleaners and chip shop workers.

That would make complete sense if perspective was a requirement for the role. But the roles you mentioned purposefully only require labour input. Task oriented if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

That would make complete sense if perspective was a requirement for the role. But the roles you mentioned purposefully only require labour input. Task oriented if you will.

So what you're saying is any old dummy can do these jobs

Surely binmen, cleaners etc should have proportional representation as you can argue then that every section of society can see what a kip the place is left in by different sections of society.

• Advertisement

Girly Gal wrote: »
    So what you're saying is any old dummy can do these jobs

No you said that.

I said the roles are set task oriented requiring next to no perspective input upwards or outwards

It's not though the poster made the assertion in a personal Irish capacity I asked for proof. You've provided none that meets what I asked. So ...

What?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Why not suggest some yourself?

I quite clearly said I don't fully agree with positive discrimination. I also said I don't know what other policies can be used to ensure a level of balance. That hasn't changed in the last couple of hours.

I can hardly provide proof of another posters personal experiences can I? I've provided proof of it happening in the UK though (and it undoubtedly happens here too).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Certain board positions are full time jobs paid extensive salaries, Ervia, An Bord Pleanala would examples .

To advertise any position that excludes any person is racism and yes white males are being victimised in many areas as they are not being employed because they are white males.

Ervia board members are non-executives, part-timers, all with other jobs;
    https://www.ervia.ie/who-we-are/organisational-structure/

ABP board members are indeed full-time, a very rare exception to the rule. Doesn't exactly look like the middle-aged white men have been too victimised in that particular example.
    https://www.pleanala.ie/en-IE/Meet-the-Board

Cordell wrote: »
    I'm not afraid of black gender fluid person of color.
    I am afraid of a society that values diversity more than meritocracy. I grew up in a place that valued background more than meritocracy and it sucked.

Maybe we can do both diversity and meritocracy, by changing the way we recruit candidates?
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.co%2Fimages%2F260422b106a24369c88d7307983e4399%2Fraw&f=1&nofb=1
    Do you think that the historical imbalances that we've seen in, for example, civil service, senior academic posts, senior Garda roles are purely down to meritocracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I can hardly provide proof of another posters personal experiences can I? I've provided proof of it happening in the UK though (and it undoubtedly happens here too).
    Maybe you could point to your evidence to support your claim that 'it undoubtedly happens here too'?

But I didn't asks you for any UK proof. I asked them for their proof of their experience. So I guess then it was pointless?

Ok, so you believe you have the same lived experiences as a male then ?

I mean, you just seemed to find it inconcevable that I was a woman based on my "perspective" just a few posts ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

No you said that.

I said the roles are set task oriented requiring next to no perspective input upwards or outwards

How do you know perspective would not improve how these jobs are done?

• Advertisement

Maybe you could point to your evidence to support your claim that 'it undoubtedly happens here too'?

The female quotas on party nominations. People can argue that's needed or whatever but it does straight up rule out people being nominated even if they're a better politician or can offer more for nothing other than their gender. You have the female only academic posts too.

Do you think there isn't similar policies in place when it comes to ethnicity that is happening behind the scenes in companies?

Advertisement