Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide rail edge for track saw

Options
  • 20-06-2021 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

I am lookin at getting a parallel edge guide for my rail saw - to give me accurate 90 degree cuts. I see there are two different types of guides as seen in the attached image - any ideas what the difference between the two of these are?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

pallel guides wont give you a 90 degree corner. you need a rail square.
    what kind of guides are you looking at

what rail have you got, festool design, makita design or maffell desig or one of the odd ball ones

i have a tso rail square , its the same as the festool version and its great. there are other options like the benchdogs, frank cochran fc square, taige version and a few others.

if its actually parrallel guids you want then fewer options, i have the benchdogs version and the festool version. bench gogs version is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

pallel guides wont give you a 90 degree corner. you need a rail square.
    what kind of guides are you looking at

what rail have you got, festool design, makita design or maffell desig or one of the odd ball ones

i have a tso rail square , its the same as the festool version and its great. there are other options like the benchdogs, frank cochran fc square, taige version and a few others.

if its actually parrallel guids you want then fewer options, i have the benchdogs version and the festool version. bench gogs version is great

Thanks for the reply. Complete hobby woodworker here and I may be mixing terms up! I have a makita saw and rail, used it for some small projects around the house and would really like to improve the accuracy of my cuts which is why I’m looking into this. Ok, a rail square it is! From what I read the festool one is compatible with the makita track and so too is the TSO one. The festol one looks similar to one of the products in my first post - are these all just different designs of the same thing?

Ideo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Complete hobby woodworker here and I may be mixing terms up! I have a makita saw and rail, used it for some small projects around the house and would really like to improve the accuracy of my cuts which is why I’m looking into this. Ok, a rail square it is! From what I read the festool one is compatible with the makita track and so too is the TSO one. The festol one looks similar to one of the products in my first post - are these all just different designs of the same thing?

the festool one is licenced off of tso .

i have the one on the right. its great. i am thinking abut getting a second one so will get the festool one to avoid the import BS from usa and uk.
    the festool one is actually cheaper for some reason

the fc tools and bech dogs ones are great but i like being able to move it along the rail so easily. its nice to put the square more in the middle for some cuts so its more balanced

the festool one is licenced off of tso .

i have the one on the right. its great. i am thinking abut getting a second one so will get the festool one to avoid the import BS from usa and uk.
    the festool one is actually cheaper for some reason

the fc tools and bech dogs ones are great but i like being able to move it along the rail so easily. its nice to put the square more in the middle for some cuts so its more balanced

Cheers for the response. Much appreciated! I'll get the one on the right I think or Festool equivalent. Can you tell me what the difference is between the two items in my first link? To me the look like they do the same thing - clip on the the rail and form a 90 degree angle but there is no doubt I am missing something?

the one on the rigth can only go on the close end of the rail . the one on the left can go on both ends. not sure why you would want it on the far end

• Advertisement

the one on the rigth can only go on the close end of the rail . the one on the left can go on both ends. not sure why you would want it on the far end

Ok gotcha, thanks for explaining it in plain english! I'm going to get the Festool one

Advertisement