Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

144hz without display port out on laptop?

Options
  • 20-06-2021 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Looking for some advice please.

My monitor is capable of 144hz and can accept hdmi and display port.

My laptop doesn’t have a display port out so currently, I’m connected to the monitor by hdmi to hdmi. This allows me to select 120hz from my windows display settings but there’s no option for 144hz in the windows drop down. Some googling suggests that I need to use display port to get 144hz but as I don’t have that on my laptop, if I get some sort of hdmi to display port adaptor, will this work? Any recommendations?

Also, I appear to have a usb-c connection on my laptop and read another dr google post suggesting that usb-c to display port is the way to go to get 144hz and hdmi to display port won’t work?

Any experienced advice appreciated before i spend more money on cables I don’t need…

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

HDMI can also do 144MHz, but it depends upon the version you have. If it's 1.3 or later 144MHz is an option, but it also depends upon the resolution being used.

What version of HDMI is present on the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Hi Spear,

Thanks for that.
    I've got a Lenovo x280 and it seems that it does have HDMI 1.4.
    Also, what I thought was USB-C is actually an intel Thunderbolt 3 (they appear to be the same type connector)

My resolution is set at 1920x1080 @ 120hz currently.

So would you recommend trying a a cable that's hdmi to display port or else thunderbolt to display port?

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

1.4 does support 144Hz. What version is the cable itself though? Does it support 1.4?

This is something I had not considered as I thought the digital signal was the same regardless of the hdmi cable. I'd say the hdmi cable is a few years old. It doesn't mention 1.4 on it anyway so probably not one. I'll root around and see if I have any other cables in the house that mention it and give those a go.

This is something I had not considered as I thought the digital signal was the same regardless of the hdmi cable. I'd say the hdmi cable is a few years old. It doesn't mention 1.4 on it anyway so probably not one. I'll root around and see if I have any other cables in the house that mention it and give those a go.

The cable will need to up to spec as well. A new one will be cheap, barely a fraction of a thunderbolt cable at least.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I’ll get my hands on one and see how I get on so. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭SVI40

SVI40 wrote: »

If you mean to say that a newer cable won't work, you should say that, since it's a valid point, rather than just dumping a link. Otherwise people won't take the time to read the linked article, and your point will be missed.

Jjjjjjjjbarry, what model is the monitor exactly? I'm beginning to wonder if it's the limiting factor instead.

It's an LG UltraGear 24GL650F

Product features
    Full HD 1920 x 1080p
    Refresh rate: 144 Hz
    Response time: 1 ms
    Input: HDMI / DisplayPort
    Can be wall mounted

• Advertisement

It's an LG UltraGear 24GL650F

Product features
    Full HD 1920 x 1080p
    Refresh rate: 144 Hz
    Response time: 1 ms
    Input: HDMI / DisplayPort
    Can be wall mounted

The LG site confirms it can do 144 MHz fro 1920x1080 on HDMI. I had wondered if it has slightly limited bandwidth capacity on HDMI, as some monitors have had.

Advertisement