Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clarkson's Farm

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

If you make you money from being a “public figure” then you have to deal with the good and bad.

Clarkson definitely went too far no doubt. But…..meh…..who really gives a shite about Megan or Clarkson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lots of English people are huge Churchill admirers, that doesn't mean they think every one of his policies were correct. It's more to do with WW2 and the way English history books are written. You know Clarkeson's partner is a Dub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Wouldn't be mine, my better half is 5'10'' and about 10 stone 5 (1.7m/65kgs). I am a bit chubby myself

I do not ever think I said it was funny. The Sussex's have proceeded to dig a hole for themselves and are continuing to dig and have lost the PR battle. That is all I said.

Churchill was a great leader during WW2. That is what the British and history look at. We should be great full he was there as well. Otherwise we could have spend 20-30 years under Nazi influence.

At the end of it an editor should have spotted the issues with Clarkson's article

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

Yea better some UK royals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

See JC has been voted the UKs sexiest man alive...

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/jeremy-clarkson-uk-sexiest-man-alive-092561-20230303?source=facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Bitching aside….

3rd series announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So the first 4 episodes of the 3rd series were released yesterday. Not bad so farm but I think also not as good as the first two seasons either.

Edit. Just watched the 4th episode there. That was a hard watch and very sad.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭older by the day

You can't make a statement like that and then stop. I don't have prime. What is the sad part

I don't have prime either I've the 4 episodes ready to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

First 4 were MIdling enough I thought myself I think it has had its day, it's all about the pigs this season so what will they try next, in fairness Jeremy's partner the irish lady got stuck in but poor over all in my opinion, he has loads od dosh so its kind of fantasy farming in away but with all his money he is still limited to what he can do on his own land as it seems the local council have him bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just started watching it last night. Why did they put permanent fencing in with the pigs? I thought the idea was for them to go around the fields eating the potatoes that could not be gathered.

Okay, so far. Definitely on the wane though so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Im really enjoying this season so far. Clarkson is not everybody's cup of tea but I like him. Definitely not as good as early season but very very watchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

They were in temporary pens when they were at the potato field. The bit with the permanent fence and pigloos was their permanent home. Pigs would go through some little potatoes at a rate of knots.

i thought it was very good.

The main point the show is trying to get through to people is just how serious the situation is for uk farmer’s.
    The costs are astronomical & margins so tight.

No farmers = no food. No food = famine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just finished it myself, fantastic show. Wish there was more episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Its an ok watch but it's gone very contrived much like Top Gear did. One ridiculous scene with a hovercraft stands out. But plenty of other "false" scenes. I'm not a farmer but I found the real farming element of the show very interesting - the wacky stuff, not so much.

I see Andy Willman produces it too, so that's to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Im up to them having won the case. Really enjoying it with the kids.

I live rural and know the issues farmers are having. I'm glad it's highlighting them. Might stop the city folk moaning about the farmers when they say things aren't right.

Its a wonderful show really. They will struggle to keep it fresh but hope it keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well, they are doing a season 4, filming had already started but was paused due to some issue with someone flying a drone over the farm.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

The main point of the show is to promote Jeremy Clarkson and keep the money rolling in. If there was money to be made that would show farming/farmers in a bad light, rest assured Jeremy & Andy wouldn't give a toss and would be busy making it.

It's the same as they're revamp of Top Gear; it's an entertainment show. The acting is getting as contrived as Top Gears as well.

It's grand to watch but little to do with the reality of real farmers.

Isn't that the point of any show really. I think it does show a lot of the realities farmers face in the struggle trying to keep the farm viable. I enjoy the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’d agree. Clarkson has enough money rolling in while he sleeps. He doesn’t need a sideshow to generate cash.

Well, it's slightly more than a sideshow everyone on the farm works hard and takes it seriously because it's their living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

He doesn’t need the sideshow of the tv show is what I mean. He has his money made, plenty of royalties rolling in while he sleeps.

Sorry I misunderstood, has been a very tough week the concentration isn't the best.

I think there's a lot of his heart in it to be honest. He doesn't need the money, he's moved out of London and lives on board & seems to be carrying out some of the work whilst generating food, revenue and employment. He's a true entrepreneur in the sense that he'll try anything and think laterally to create money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He readily admits on the show that he has other sources of income so doesn’t “ need” the farm income per se- and anyway likely earns millions from this series anyway than he’ll ever make from his farm work.

The purpose of the show is obviously entertainment primarily- as if it doesn’t get the viewership then it will be canned. But I do like the way that the show has brought farming to the masses and has an educational element albeit done in an entertainment style.

As others have said, this series not as good as the last but still a lot of quality and for me a lot of laughter- will be looking forward to the next series for sure

Couldn't have put it better myself. A perfect synopsis.

He's a performer; he acts like his heart is in it - why? Because Amazon come along with a ball of money every season plain and simple. He's a talented character and knows how to make good tv. The farm and it's produce are nothing entrepreneurial; he knows he can watch crops fail, produce go unsold, pigs die etc. because Amazon plus his other business interests are carrying the can. That's no where near "a true entrepreneur".

Risk taking is the essence of entrepreneurship suckler, you should know this if you're a farmer running a farm!

An entrepreneur is a person who sets up a business or businesses, taking on financial risks in the hope of profit. He watches crops fail, produce go unsold, pigs die etc.. as the estimated £200 million rolls in from the TV production. He's good at making money but I think his heart has gone in to the farm, it's not just about the money at this stage, he's emotionally invested and has made friends and bonds throughout the years farming.

Risk taking is the essence of entrepreneurship suckler, you should know this if you're a farmer running a farm.

Exactly; he's not taking a risk. Not in anyway like running a farm here; the way he operates and can make decisions that would have ordinary farmers sweating and pouring over options/ramifications is completey alien to how most farms are run. But that's not why people watch it; its the 'Clarkson' entertainment and tomfoolery. The constant 'gags' of him doing something stupid, Caleb calling him a twat etc. etc. Cheerful Charlie Ireland comes along with his book of numbers to rain on the optimism etc. etc.

The TV money (plus other business interests) are a guarantee so that when he does fail, it's all part of the plot and people pander to it.

As for 'his heart being in it' & 'friends and bonds'…he's a good actor. He always has played his TV persona.

OK. We'll agree to disagree but judging by the people he works with it seems he's made a life for himself and created friendships and bonds. Maybe they're just acting too.

• Advertisement

I am surprised how invested Lisa also seems to be. Again maybe acting.

But it’s total fantasy farming. Through shite at the wall and see what sticks

Was not impressed with how Caleb came across in this series. Seemed like a bit of an @rse in comparison to previous series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Crying because they couldn't 'afford' to keep the few cows, bringing in a machine worth a couple of 100k and destroying a stone wall to pick enough blackberries to make a few pots of jam?? That was only in the first episode. Reality TV me arse.

I think he's in his early 20's, not sure if I'd come across well at that age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

What ever his motivations and if its all acting or not , it is throwing a very positive spotlight on Farming and really getting the public on the side of farmers , a feat , neither Nationwide here or country file in the UK has managed despite being their remit .

I mean in comparison to how he was in previous series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Haven't seen any of the series. But from the little clips that are floating on free to air. He was kind of being made fun of how everything was new to him, ie urban life and general life. Now he's grown up more and has his own contracting and farming business. He's on a par now with any farmer. He probably resents how he was made fun of and probably how he had to play along as. It'd be a rebellious streak now hidden down there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's a bit more manufactured and like Top Gear in the new series, particularly the escapade with the picking machine and the forced rivalry between Jeremy and Caleb, but hey it's still entertaining enough.

Advertisement