Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being unrealistic?

Options
  • 21-06-2021 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, just looking for some perspective to see if I’m being at all realistic.

I’m currently completing a degree in a non science field at university. I always had an interest in medicine and at one stage almost went to college to become a paramedic. I never even considered medicine an option due to both the high leaving cert points requirement and the costs involved.

As of recently my circumstances have changed so that it is now possible for me to afford to pay the fees for a graduate entry medicine programme. Am I being unrealistic in thinking that I can study hard for the next 2 months and achieve a decent Gamsat score when I’m coming from a non science degree? I am also just shy of reaching a 2.1 in my current degree and would plan on putting in some major study to make sure I get that 2.1 next year. I’m a worried that if I don’t take my chance at the gamsat and GEM now that I may regret it in the years to come.

Anybody care to give me some words of encouragement? (or even discouragement if required!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hcoben111

From what I gather from your post you have not graduated yet and will do so next year, that you have one more year of study left? If so, take a breath. I sense an urgency to do gamsat in 2 months and achieve a requisite score. The Gamsat is held twice a year so you have plenty of time. The score also holds for two years. If I were you I would do the exam in September give it your best see how you go. If you dont get the score you need you will at least have identified areas you need to improve on and know what its like, therefore be better prepared for the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kieran.molo

i would agree with above, Focus on your degree. get your 2.1

i went to an opening day in RCSI and this lady had gotten 72 in gamsat but only 2,2 in her first degree. Because of the 2,2 the lady was ineligible for GEM within Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irelandman1998

Just focus on getting the 2.1, you'll get it! Just be diligent and work consistently from day 1 of you're final year.

I would consider the Gamsat after you complete the degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

I would forget the GAMSAT for the time being.
    Focus on getting the 2:1 - that's your biggest potential problem.
    There's no point in having a brilliant GAMSAT if you can't even apply.

And there are plenty of people with non-science degrees who do excellently at the GAMSAT. I've met many who have been absolutely great to work with so you're not being unrealistic - you should go for this (in a slightly different order though).

Advertisement