Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone scam?

• 21-06-2021 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Staring on Friday I've started receiving an obscene amount of calls from 087.... numbers, all of them different. I pick up and an automated message begins from someone claiming to be from the Garda. I realise it's a scam but should I change my number now that it seems to be available to these scamers? I've never experienced a phone scam before, should I assume that means my info has been leaked as part of the recent HSE hacking?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I got one about an hour ago.

Automated message saying that my pps number had been compromised. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just don't ring back.....

Happens any number, they use auto dialers....

You could change and same happen

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Me too, last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Block the number, same sh1te over here in Spain ...

I must have about 50 blocked numbers by now ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭air assault

Happened to me except it was an 083 number

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Happened to me except it was an 083 number

Same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I got two this morning. Both from 08x xxx numbers, where the x'ed out digits are the same as my own.

Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got one automated message scam from a 087 number

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stove

Getting calls from both 086 and 087 numbers since Friday. When do they give up I'm wondering.? Hard to block them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I got two this morning. Both from 08x xxx numbers, where the x'ed out digits are the same as my own.

Anyone else notice this?

Just posted something similar in another thread.
    4 today mirroring my own number bar the last few digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've had 2 calls from an 049 number, says Belturbet on my phone. Let it ring out, then called it back later to get a message that the number doesnt exist. Strange for a landline number to be doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I had two last week from two different 087 numbers accusing me of using the internet for illegal activities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

they found you at last.......
    I had two last week from two different 087 numbers accusing me of using the internet for illegal activities

Yeah I got one of those from an 089 number about something being taken out of my account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭omerin

Got 2 calls today from 087 9904848 and 087 9959101. Both start with an automated message, hung up on the 1st nunber, pressed 1 to talk to HSE rep on the second number, where i told her to **** off after she introduced herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

got an automated phone call to the landline at work two weeks ago to say that there was a problem with virgin broadband in my area. Virgin don't provide in my area so i said to myself i would talk to them for the craic and see what happens. I spoke to what sounded like an Indian lad for a few minutes before he copped on that i was only taking the piss and he politely told me to stick the phone up my ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Tornaxx

Nobody ever rings me... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Got 5 calls in the space of 4 hours today. If you answer the call but say nothing then theres no automated message, they just hang up. If you say hello then the automated message starts.

All 5 calls were from 087 numbers where the first 7 digits are the exact same as my own, just the last 3 digits are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The last call I got was from 02039965446.

Don't know where that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

5 calls today-so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got three 083 calls on Thursday and One on Friday.
    The same automated message saying they were Gardaí Siochana in a strange accent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Few of these myself. Most recent from Leitrim; apparently..

I got three 083 calls on Thursday and One on Friday.
    The same automated message saying they were Gardaí Siochana in a strange accent!

Yeah the olde Leitrim accent was it? :P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anyone else notice this?

This is the new bit for me, up until now easily avoidable 083 calls, now 087 mirroring a lot of my number. I have my number 25 years or so, good addition tot he scam, I answered most of the calls. Have to answer a lot of numbers at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Very easy to spoof a number these days.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Very easy to spoof a number these days.

Can I get 80085 as my number do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Can I get 80085 as my number do you reckon?

Ah reminds me of the old calculator days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’m getting at least 2 calls from Tunisia the last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

A different twist on this- I’ve had 2 people (that I don’t know) in the last week contact me to say that they had a missed call from me. I hadn’t rang either of them. Both their numbers had the same prefix and first 3 numbers as my number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

In the last few weeks, my bank details were compromised, my sexual health information was leaked, and my amazon parcel was stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Few of these myself. Most recent from Leitrim; apparently..

Ah shur that’s obviously a scam, we all know Leitrim doesn’t have phones yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

cj maxx wrote: »
    The last call I got was from 02039965446.

Don't know where that is
    020 is London. They probably spoofed the wrong country.

I got one of these calls from an 083 number (fake DSP message) but nothing since. Hoping it stays that way.

I’ve had heaps lately from numbers starting in 087 then three identical digits each time and then the last 4 digits are always different. Must be 11 or 12 different ones now and similar to toffeeshel above the 087 and the first 3 digits are the same as my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

I have gotten a few lately I saved one number and checked out the watsapp picture can I post it ..

• Advertisement

Good podcast from "In Machines We Trust" called "AI finds its voice."
    https://toptenews.in/podcast-ai-finds-its-voice/

Basically, scammers are able to use AI to generate voices.

We will see more targetted attacks in the future, scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Deub

I have gotten a few lately I saved one number and checked out the watsapp picture can I post it ..

I don’t know if you are serious so I will say: don’t post the pic. They use random numbers to call you which sometimes is someone’s number. You would be posting the pic of an innocent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Deub wrote: »
    I don’t know if you are serious so I will say: don’t post the pic. They use random numbers to call you which sometimes is someone’s number. You would be posting the pic of an innocent person.

These are definitely picture scammers to look like I won't post justincase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Anyone else notice this?

yes me too. 2 calls in one day ....same as my first 6 digits ...last 4 numbers different than mine and each other.

I literally don't answer a number i dont recognise now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I literally don't answer a number i dont recognise now.

Can't answer the landline at all anymore either and those are the legitimate ones. Lot of swindling c*nts nowadays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Up until last Friday I have never received a scam call. Since then I’m getting 4 or 5 a day from 086 and other weird numbers. All are recorded message saying my PPS number has been flagged for fraudulent activity and to press 1 to speak with someone.

Is this as a result of the HSE hacking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

2 incoming calls today. 1 from a 087 number and the other from a landline in Charleville. Both automated messages about my pps number being used in criminal activity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Up until last Friday I have never received a scam call. Since then I’m getting 4 or 5 a day from 086 and other weird numbers. All are recorded message saying my PPS number has been flagged for fraudulent activity and to press 1 to speak with someone.

I just got that same call ,fraudulent activity on the North Dublin border too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Deub

It is not related to the HSE hacking. Any person with an irish mobile number can get these calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

And now that there are names to match the numbers thanks to facebook leaking nearly 1.5 million people's records, the scams will be more frequent and the calls themselves can be better tailored based on what people share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Got 2 calls on my wife's number this morn ...the first few numbers same as her number .... when answered call just disconnects....I didn't say anything when I answered 2nd call ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Treppen

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Block the number, same sh1te over here in Spain ...

I must have about 50 blocked numbers by now ...

Once they know you've blocked they know the number is active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭omerin

omerin wrote: »
    Got 2 calls today from 087 9904848 and 087 9959101. Both start with an automated message, hung up on the 1st nunber, pressed 1 to talk to HSE rep on the second number, where i told her to **** off after she introduced herself

Got a call on the landline today, the broadband scam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Treppen wrote: »
    Once they know you've blocked they know the number is active.

That's not true at all as they don't know they're blocked.

It's all done by autodialler. If answered they play recording and hope you act.

I don't see what blocking numbers does anyway as you don't normally get called back by the same number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I got a call today saying my EBay order for iphone for €799 is ready and "dial 1 " to arrange shipment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement