Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance_ Can I request Health Data from GP ?

• 21-06-2021 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi

I'm considering taking out health insurance

I'm just wondering can I get all my data from the GP first or would that be an unusual request in this circumstance ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,297 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Health insurance pricing in Ireland is not affected by your medical history (access to services for pre-existing conditions can be, but that won't be solely determined by your records either; and only comes in to play when you attempt to claim) so it wouldn't have any impact bad or good.

Everyone pays the same for a given plan with open access to all plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

Ok good to know thanks

And the medical records, is it still possible to get those anyway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭feelings

You can request your medical records from your GP under GDPR. Your GP will have a form for you to complete to request the records.
    The following link might be helpful:
    Can a GMS patient request a copy of their medical record from their GP?

I can't see how it's not beneficial to see your history before taking out life insurance

Obviously in the event of a claim the insurer will want it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭feelings

They don't ask you for your medical history.
    Terry.. wrote: »
    I can't see how it's not beneficial to see your history before taking out life insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

OP asked about health insurance not life insurance, there would be medical questions on a life insurance form.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi

I'm considering taking out health insurance

I'm just wondering can I get all my data from the GP first or would that be an unusual request in this circumstance ?

phormium wrote: »
    OP asked about health insurance not life insurance, there would be medical questions on a life insurance form.

Actually the OP has mentioned both, so it’s a bit unclear as to the OPs intentions.

@OP:

You need to understand that there is a general requirement to provide all relevant information to the insurer even if not asked. A failure to do so could render the policy invalid. This is particularly the case in life insurance/assurance where the claims are large. They will be investigated by professionals with a view to denying the claim, so it is better to pay a little extra in premiums than risk being left with nothing.

It's health insurance

I can't remember specific dates etc so I thought I should get the exact information upfront so to speak

I'm aware of the requirements for full disclosure and the foolishness of doing otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,297 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its irrelevant for health insurance. The questions aren't asked.

Advertisement