Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping (with tents) options county cork

• 21-06-2021 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I am based in little island, but I am hoping to start camping with my son (4yo) as a bit of a road trip, just taking the e-bike and bike trailer.

I reckon a 2-3 hour trip is possible by rationing the power assist, and my current abilities, which would get me down to cloyne/whitegate/inch beach direction, and there is a campsite down there.

What other options exist? Google reveals that there are not many actual campsites, and I wonder if covid has done a number on them.

Not limited to the immediate region of the city - train to midleton could let me start the journey further east, and we could explore the upper Lee (inishcarra etc.) easily enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Would you not just be better off driving, tents and sleeping equipment are all very bulky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Defeats the whole point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

sharingan wrote: »
    Google reveals that there are not many actual campsites, and I wonder if covid has done a number on them.

There weren't many to start with. Ireland is poorly served with formal campsites anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People camp on inch beach all the time. Ballimacoda is a nice spot

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    People camp on inch beach all the time. Ballimacoda is a nice spot

Yeah we spotted that on Inch when we were there last (once!). Must double check the Co Cork bye laws.

And thanks for the heads up on Ballimacoda - actually in range (surprisingly).

• Advertisement

There weren't many to start with. Ireland is poorly served with formal campsites anyway.

Yeah, this was my concern. Very poor spread of them. When I lived in the UK you could presume on their availability and distribution.

Advertisement