Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry footballers smash someone's head in. €400 fine.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

TimHorton wrote: »
    A conviction for assault will likely rule them out of visiting certain countries such as the USA and Australia.

Indeed, if you don’t want to be excluded from visiting these country’s, don’t assault anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TimHorton wrote: »
    A conviction for assault will likely rule them out of visiting certain countries such as the USA and Australia.

Lucky US and Oz.

• Plenty of our convicts over in OZ anyway. The entry checks are not as rigid as you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes my brother got a working holiday visa for oz and nz with a record, albeit nothing serious

No other country are serious unprovoked assaults not met with jail time and then monitored probation.

In Spain you don't serve why sentence under 2 years. They are automatically suspended.

In Spain, no person over 77 can be sentenced to custody, no matter what.

That's just my limited knowledge. Can you actually back your claim regarding other countries? We aren't as lenient as people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Their solicitor claimed that they should be let off because of their exploits within Kerry GAA. You can't get a more obvious case of bringing an organisation into disrepute than that.

Where in the report in the OP does he say that? :confused: And even so if the solicitor wants to bring the GAA into it, there is nothing they can do about that so bit unfair to use this as a stick to beat them with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Their solicitor claimed that they should be let off because of their exploits within Kerry GAA. You can't get a more obvious case of bringing an organisation into disrepute than that.

Have you a source for that equally daft claim?

He requested applying the probation act which is granted in circumstances where the defendants have had previously good records - again, granted regularly to people who have no involvement with the gaa.
    Secondly it's their solicitor doing his job, perfectly legally and that is not them (or the solicitor) bringing the organisation into disrepute.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What a lame sentence, a 400 quid fine is a laugh and more suited to someone caught speeding. This was a violent and vicious assault, they were raining blows down on him. At a minimum they should be getting two or three months in prison as a bit of shock therapy. As it is they didnt even get a suspended sentence to warn them if they do it again they'll be off to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

BPKS wrote: »
    I'm delighted that nobody here has done anything stupid when they were young.

Unfortunately I got into a few scrapes with pints on board when I was younger. Some my fault, some not.

I'd like to think that I probably wouldn't pass smart remarks to a few young fellas when I was going home p1ssed on a Sunday evening at my age now either.

I did plenty of stupid things.

But I never smashed someone's head in to leave them in such a state that they were unrecognisable.

And the person who bore the brunt of this violence did not pass smart remarks.

They just got battered by a pair of scum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Terrell Delightful Traction

Did Mickey Harte wade in with a character reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

dobman88 wrote: »
    Should they be expected to?

I think so... I’d not be enamored if I’m sitting in a public relations department of the GAA and hearing that two lads who beat the fûck out of some poor dude for shîts and giggles are expecting leniency based partly or in total down to them playing Gaelic Games...and their association to the .... association.

“The GAA doesn’t condone it in fact condemns the behaviors of Buckley and O’Donohoue, nor does it appreciate the efforts of them and their legal team to downplay the severity of the crime related to the sentencing and use their association with our sport to achieve leniency...”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Premier League footballers can be sanctioned for 'bringing the game into disrepute' if they get up to criminal activity or whatever. I don't think the same standard should apply to gaa players, but where they bring up their membership as part of their defence, then I do think some disciplinary action would be warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Good point, maybe they are so cut off from the rest of the country that they start to believe there isnt a world beyond Tralee! Who was that fool a few years ago who strutted around the pitch like he was Gods gift,all fake tan and big ego, Galvin?? Incredible to think how deluded some of these GAA players are, and how fragile the whole delusion is- when they leave Ireland, it hits them how insignificant they are ha ha

And there still trying to flog his “Lord of the Rings “ clothes in Dunne’s stores!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Premier League footballers can be sanctioned for 'bringing the game into disrepute' if they get up to criminal activity or whatever. I don't think the same standard should apply to gaa players, but where they bring up their membership as part of their defence, then I do think some disciplinary action would be warranted.

They are playing an amateur sport that they dont even get paid for. The only ones who make money out of it is the GAA. They couldnt give a flying fcuk what their stars do so long as they line out and bring in the fans and the money. The irony is, at least Premier League players have a reason to have enormous egos: they have the money and the cars and the sponsors.
    These 2 scumbags only have a career in teaching or banking, 2 extremely generic ways to earn a living, ahead of them on their inevitable path to obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I can't believe those pair of **** from Kerry got away with a measly fine for a serious assault on an innocent man who was known to be a harmless individual and nearly twice their age. If these two scumbags weren't in the GAA in anyway shape or form; they might have received a more serious sentence for their crimes. However, in a place like Ireland, it probably wouldn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things given how the sentencing is currently applied in the courts. It's a disgrace that they got away with what it amounts to in real terms; a very very light slap on the wrist.

If they were doing an assault like that in another country if they were on duty playing for the GAA or not; they wouldn't have had a chance in hell to get away with it so lightly. Police forces in those countries would have went down on them hard like a ton of bricks. And it also would have given them more severe consequences on their GAA careers if they were caught straight away. That's how proper justice should be done to allow it to fit the crime.

It's painfully embarrassing that we don't have a proper justice system like that in Ireland. It would do wonders for our justice system if we had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/kerry-footballers-who-assaulted-local-musician-will-appeal-convictions-40570521.html

Are actually appealing. The victim where is he in all this. 400 euro fine no time in prison and appealing the conviction .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

SeaFields wrote: »
    To be fair the defence tried to play the footballers card "they are role models" which the judge rejected outright.

The fact they are role models is a reason to send them to jail. Sets an example.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok I'm reopening this thread after cleaning it up a bit and moving it to the correct forum for discussion.

Stay on topic and post in a civil manner. That means discuss the incident.

This is not a wider discussion on the GAA, there's a forum dedicated to that.

Now we have set a few ground rules that some posters don't seem to want to follow prior to this, discussion can continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Didn’t the Healy Rae lads get off with a fine after they lied on the stand and they had CCTV coverage of what happened, even the judge told them they lied as well

Yet nothing, seems to be a bigger issue in Kerry legal system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

They are playing an amateur sport that they dont even get paid for. The only ones who make money out of it is the GAA. They couldnt give a flying fcuk what their stars do so long as they line out and bring in the fans and the money. The irony is, at least Premier League players have a reason to have enormous egos: they have the money and the cars and the sponsors.
    These 2 scumbags only have a career in teaching or banking, 2 extremely generic ways to earn a living, ahead of them on their inevitable path to obscurity.

Did a GAA player ride your missus or something? You seem incredibly bitter about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,338 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Unfortunately I got into a few scrapes with pints on board when I was younger. Some my fault, some not.

I'd like to think that I probably wouldn't pass smart remarks to a few young fellas when I was going home p1ssed on a Sunday evening at my age now either.

No, I never attacked a innocent man and beat him up badly. Neither did my friends. No you dont do that no matter what age you are.

I think we can all agree you are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You have issues with adulthood and alcohol if you think this is normal behaviour.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eire392

I can't believe those pair of **** from Kerry got away with a measly fine for a serious assault on an innocent man who was known to be a harmless individual and nearly twice their age. If these two scumbags weren't in the GAA in anyway shape or form; they might have received a more serious sentence for their crimes. However, in a place like Ireland, it probably wouldn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things given how the sentencing is currently applied in the courts. It's a disgrace that they got away with what it amounts to in real terms; a very very light slap on the wrist.

If they were doing an assault like that in another country if they were on duty playing for the GAA or not; they wouldn't have had a chance in hell to get away with it so lightly. Police forces in those countries would have went down on them hard like a ton of bricks. And it also would have given them more severe consequences on their GAA careers if they were caught straight away. That's how proper justice should be done to allow it to fit the crime.

It's painfully embarrassing that we don't have a proper justice system like that in Ireland. It would do wonders for our justice system if we had it.

You do realise the 'police force' has nothing to do with sentencing and the court outcomes. The guards arrested and charged them and brought a clearly particularly strong case before the court. What more do you expect them to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Who was the third unnamed person involved? Lots of people saying it's a current Kerry player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/kerry-footballers-who-assaulted-local-musician-will-appeal-convictions-40570521.html

Are actually appealing. The victim where is he in all this. 400 euro fine no time in prison and appealing the conviction .

Kind of risky appealing this. There's a chance that their sentence can be increased upon appeal. They could end up getting jailed.

If I was either of the lads, I'd take my punishment as it was pretty light.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did the bishop of Kerry sign and bless a character reference for these 2

Police force have no say in the actual sentence and would be as frustrated as you are.
    Plus you will see all over the World claims that "sports stars" get bad behaviour glossed over.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Kind of risky appealing this. There's a chance that their sentence can be increased upon appeal. They could end up getting jailed.

If I was either of the lads, I'd take my punishment as it was pretty light.

Doubt it, the Healy Rae lads appealed after they got told by the judge they lied on the stand before he done nothing. Nothing was ever heard about how the appeal went but I would expect it got brushed under the covers and any record of a guilty verdict was removed from their record.

Especially in this case as they will probably want to play GAA in US an can't fly now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

From the Irish Times:

"Mr O’Connell said Mr Buckley’s “teaching career is in jeopardy” as a conviction would stay with the young men, who had learned a lesson."

This man actually wants to become a teacher, a role model, somebody for young people to look up to. What a start to his career.....

The sad thing is there are principals around Kerry (and probably beyond) who will line up to take him in.

Advertisement