Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First olympic transgender athlete to compete at Tokyo 2020 **MOD NOTE IN OP**

Options

Comments

eskimohunt wrote: »
    I genuinely hope that Hubbard wins gold.

It will shine a greater light on the severity of the problem and, hopefully, actions will be taken to prevent or better still, stop this insanity.

She's mid-40s and has always been fairly mediocre, as pro lifters go. It's unlikely she'll take gold.

She's mid-40s and has always been fairly mediocre, as pro lifters go. It's unlikely she'll take gold.

That's probably right, though I nonetheless still hope she wins. :pac:

It's absolutely insanity that this was allowed to happen. That displaced woman must be absolutely furious. I know I'd be, if I were her.

Her entire career building up to the moment of performing in the Olympics, only to have it shattered by this decision.

That's probably right, though I nonetheless still hope she wins. :pac:

It's absolutely insanity that this was allowed to happen. That displaced woman must be absolutely furious. I know I'd be, if I were her.

Her entire career building up to the moment of performing in the Olympics, only to have it shattered by this decision.

one of the women she beat into second place lately, only took up weights in the women's refuge for domestic violence she ended up in, a victim of child sexual violence.

Edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jul/22/current-impasse-transgender-athletes

http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/2019/thinking-about-feagaiga-stowers/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

one of the women she beat into second place lately, only took up weights in the women's refuge for domestic violence she ended up in, a victim of child sexual violence.

One of the problems with allowing for that argument though, is it legitimises victim politics. Bad enough that identity politics are already being entertained, but victim politics are a subset of that ideology. Feagaiga Stowers is ‘denying’ another woman a place, and so on, and so on…

Did the people using Feagaiga Stowers as a stick to beat Hubbard with, give a damn about Feagaiga Stowers before now, and if Feagaiga Stowers hadn’t experienced what she has, they would have to find someone else to use as a stick to beat Hubbard with.

Hubbard is not responsible for the policy, the IOC are. It would surely stand to reason IMO that if people who are using her as a stick to beat Hubbard with actually gave a damn about Feagaiga Stowers welfare, they would have argued that the IOC policy should be changed to accommodate Feagaiga Stowers, regardless of whether Hubbard qualified or not.

It’s insincere virtue signalling from people who don’t care about Feagaiga Stowers, they’re just using her because they don’t have a very compelling argument otherwise to argue that from their point of view - men, or “trans women”, or “biological males”, should not be competing in women’s sports.

They’re still unwilling to acknowledge that it was Chris Mosier, an elite female athlete, who petitioned the IOC to change their policy regarding transgender athletes eligibility for competitions, and it is Caster Semenya, also an elite female athlete, who is having to take her case to the ECHR arguing that the policy of the WA means people like her and Dutee Chand, female athletes, biological females, with naturally high testosterone levels, are being discriminated against unfairly. I think this is a good article (it’s a blog!) which gives some indication of the legal complexities involved -

“Sport Sex” before the European Court of Human Rights - Caster Semenya v. Switzerland

The reason I don’t use terms such as “biological male”, “biological female”, “transgender man”, “transgender woman” is simply because biology is concerned with classifying traits on the basis of commonality, and the more traits one has of one sex or the other determines how they are classified. Nature doesn’t have the capacity to give a hoot for our classification systems, people who are transgender have always existed, they just weren’t always visible because they are so incredibly rare. It was John Money who really developed the concept of there being a biological basis for gender identity, but he was also responsible for the development of sex reassignment surgeries in the 60s.

He was trying to show that it was possible to “normalise” people who’s gender identity did not correspond to their sex by “correcting” them with unnecessary medical and surgical interventions. In spite of the fact that his efforts were an abject failure and utter tragedy for his patients and their families, the fact that they lied about the success of the surgeries at the time meant that Moneys theories and treatments were vindicated from an ethical standpoint. We now know, decades later after the surgeries have been popularised in Western medicine, that they were based upon the propagation of identity politics and pseudoscientific nonsense.

While Money was undoubtedly completely irresponsible in trying to cover up the fact that the outcomes of his experiments did not correspond to his theories, questions of morality and ethics arise all the time in science and biology, one other example I can think of and AllforIt touched on the idea in their post is the whole idea of trying to eradicate diseases in humans by genetic engineering. It too has been possible since the 60s, but the reality is that the potential consequences are simply unknown, and arguably unethical -

The Heterozygous Advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

She doesn't appear to be.

Stowers is going to the olympics. (edit actually she isn't).
    Hubbard didn't necessarily take her spot. Qualification isn't linear.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

Stowers is going to the olympics. Hubbard didn't take her spot.

Hubbard beat Stowers in the Commonwealth games.
    Nini Kumakua was beat by Hubbard for the Olympic place. The Tripartite Commission has invited Kumakua to games as a delegate from a smaller region.
    All the window dressing does not matter however. What matters is the irrational decision to enable biological males with all their physical advantages to compete professionally against females because of a politically correct ideological tenet.

Stowers is going to the olympics. Hubbard didn't take her spot.

Hubbard took her gold medal.

One of the problems with allowing for that argument though, is it legitimises victim politics. Bad enough that identity politics are already being entertained, but victim politics are a subset of that ideology. Feagaiga Stowers is ‘denying’ another woman a place, and so on, and so on…

Did the people using Feagaiga Stowers as a stick to beat Hubbard with, give a damn about Feagaiga Stowers before now, and if Feagaiga Stowers hadn’t experienced what she has, they would have to find someone else to use as a stick to beat Hubbard with.

Hubbard is not responsible for the policy, the IOC are. It would surely stand to reason IMO that if people who are using her as a stick to beat Hubbard with actually gave a damn about Feagaiga Stowers welfare, they would have argued that the IOC policy should be changed to accommodate Feagaiga Stowers, regardless of whether Hubbard qualified or not.

It’s insincere virtue signalling from people who don’t care about Feagaiga Stowers, they’re just using her because they don’t have a very compelling argument otherwise to argue that from their point of view - men, or “trans women”, or “biological males”, should not be competing in women’s sports.

They’re still unwilling to acknowledge that it was Chris Mosier, an elite female athlete, who petitioned the IOC to change their policy regarding transgender athletes eligibility for competitions, and it is Caster Semenya, also an elite female athlete, who is having to take her case to the ECHR arguing that the policy of the WA means people like her and Dutee Chand, female athletes, biological females, with naturally high testosterone levels, are being discriminated against unfairly. I think this is a good article (it’s a blog!) which gives some indication of the legal complexities involved -

Thsts a bit unfair - "insincere virtue signaling" , is that what you think it is?

The argument against women competing against men is very compelling, despite your contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

wasn’t there a precedent yet decades ago with the Russians where two athletes were stripped of their Olympic medals it having being discovered they were effectively men.

Not much point in women building a lifetime career towards an Olympic goal if a man can declare as a woman and opt to change gender to get your spot.

I always think its a bit like the Irish coaches and athletes struggling with minimal funding, resources and equipment struggling in community halls and with part time volunteer coaches who are then slapped in the face as they are about to qualify by someone hopping on the plane from a decade of professional advanced sports academy development and managemet in Australia who didn’t make the grade and suddenly remembers as the final qualifier deadline appears that they maybe once had an irish granny. Only a
    lot worse.

Thsts a bit unfair - "insincere virtue signaling" , is that what you think it is?

The argument against women competing against men is very compelling, despite your contention.

I don’t think it’s unfair or unreasonable to point out that they wouldn’t give a damn about Stowers if it weren’t for Hubbard. I know that wasn’t your intention, but it’s the intention of some people who are using Stowers to suggest that she was “denied”, because of Hubbard. Stowers experience as a victim of sexual violence shouldn’t be used to argue she is more worthy of a place than Hubbard because being a victim of sexual violence is not one of the criteria for eligibility or qualification.

They’re going to find thousands of women who were “displaced” by men in that case, the very same as detransitioners are used to argue against gender affirmative therapies and medical and surgical interventions. Nothing would satisfy them only the exclusion of what they call biological males from being classed as women, and that’s all they’ve got, is finding people who they can portray as victims, like this woman who failed a drug test for what she rationalised must have been the burrito, not just any burrito though, an authentic Mexican burrito -

• Advertisement

Nothing would satisfy them only the exclusion of what they call biological males from being classed as women, and that’s all they’ve got, is finding people who they can portray as victims, like this woman who failed a drug test for what she rationalised must have been the burrito, not just any burrito though, an authentic Mexican burrito

Maybe that's the nub of it?

Maybe societal "acceptance" of trans women has a limit with regard to the displacement of "real" women. Maybe trans women shouldn't be classified as women, maybe the classification is transwomen.

And I think you've completely missed the point of Stowers.

Whatabout the burrito.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

isha wrote: »
    Hubbard beat Stowers in the Commonwealth games.
    No she didn't. Hubbard was injured in the snatch and didn't finish.
    Stowers got the gold medal in the Commonwealth Games.
    Nini Kumakua was beat by Hubbard for the Olympic place. The Tripartite Commission has invited Kumakua to games as a delegate from a smaller region.
    She is like 50th in the world.
    Qualification is complicated for weightlifting. Obvious there is somebody not there, but it is not so straight forward to figure out who. (As Kumakua is there anyway). Basically who ever would have gotten the Tripartite spot.
    All the window dressing does not matter however. What matters is the irrational decision to enable biological males with all their physical advantages to compete professionally against females because of a politically correct ideological tenet.
    I agree. There's no justification for her inclusion. I was just pointing out that it's not a case of how does "the person bumped" feel.

The direct qualifer who was bumped, is still going on a continental spot, the bumped continental spot is going on tripartite. The missing person, doesn't exist - while at the same time the missing spot does.
    Hubbard took her gold medal.

When?
    Not at the commonwealth games.
    I always think its a bit like the Irish coaches and athletes struggling with minimal funding, resources and equipment struggling in community halls and with part time volunteer coaches who are then slapped in the face as they are about to qualify by someone hopping on the plane from a decade of professional advanced sports academy development and managemet in Australia who didn’t make the grade and suddenly remembers as the final qualifier deadline appears that they maybe once had an irish granny. Only a
    lot worse.

You can't do that in olympic qualification. (the irish granny).
    If you declare foe a country at senior level, you are stuck with it for life n most cases. You can't switch right before qualification. Thankfully.

No she didn't. Hubbard was injured in the snatch and didn't finish.
    Stowers got the gold medal in the Commonwealth Games.

She is like 50th in the world.
    Qualification is complicated for weightlifting. Obvious there is somebody not there, but it is not so straight forward to figure out who. (As Kumakua is there anyway). Basically who ever would have gotten the Tripartite spot.

I agree. There's no justification for her inclusion. I was just pointing out that it's not a case of how does "the person bumped" feel.

The direct qualifer who was bumped, is still going on a continental spot, the bumped continental spot is going on tripartite. The missing person, doesn't exist - while at the same time the missing spot does.

When?

You can't do that in olympic qualification. (the irish granny).
    If you declare foe a country at senior level, you are stuck with it for life n most cases. You can't switch right before qualification. Thankfully.

Thanks for the correction. I checked and Hubbard beat Stowers at the Pacific Games in Samoa 2019 a year after their injury at Commonwealth games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I don’t think it’s unfair or unreasonable to point out that they wouldn’t give a damn about Stowers if it weren’t for Hubbard.

To be fair, if it weren't for Hubbard, Stowers/"person who Hubbard replaced" would probably be at the olympics (if you're going along these lines, Olympic qualification is more complicated than swapping spots).

Which makes your argument "why this thread?".

If you were any of the competitors other than Hubbard, would you compete in the games?

I honestly don't think I could do it.

Maybe that's the nub of it?

Maybe societal "acceptance" of trans women has a limit with regard to the displacement of "real" women. Maybe trans women shouldn't be classified as women, maybe the classification is transwomen.

And I think you've completely missed the point of Stowers.

Whatabout the burrito.

That’s absolutely the rub of it - biological females aren’t perceived as a threat to anyone, so there’s no uproar about biological females transitioning to become transgender men. It’s easy to portray men as a threat to everyone, and on that basis it’s even easier to suggest that biological males who transition are an even greater threat, because they can be portrayed as only doing so because they want to deceive people, they’re trying to cheat and they should be stopped. Their limit is zero acceptance, under any circumstances.

I’m not missing the point of Stowers, that’s why I pointed out that if it weren’t for Stowers, they would have found someone else, and there are no shortage of women who are victims of sexual violence. That’s why I make the point that if women who are victims of sexual violence is something they care about, they would be addressing that issue in its own right, and not just using a woman who has been a victim of sexual violence as a stick to beat Hubbard with.

The question of classification of women just doesn’t arise, because the antonym of transgender is not nothing, it’s cisgender, and that is from a biological point of view. From a social point of view, it doesn’t make any sense either to suggest that a woman is not a woman. There is no one criteria for how woman or man is defined in a social context. It’s a designation predicated upon subjective opinion. The antonym of real is artificial, and then you’re into the difficulties of classifying what the distinctions are between what constitutes a real woman, and what constitutes an artificial woman, notwithstanding the fact that unnecessary cosmetic surgery is far more popular among real women to give them artificial enhancements, than it is among real men. Are those women then no longer real women because they are artificially enhanced? I don’t think so, in just the same way as I don’t think biological males aren’t women. I don’t see the conflict, and anyone who is of an opposite view is welcome to it, but they have no authority to inflict their views upon anyone who disagrees with them, and treat anyone unjustly or unfairly who doesn’t comply with their views. That would be unreasonable behaviour. They’re complaining that language is being redefined and women are being erased in the same way as opponents of marriage equality claimed that marriage was being redefined - it clearly wasn’t, and isn’t, simply by broadening the criteria for eligibility, no more than biological women are being denied the opportunity to compete in the Olympics because the criteria for eligibility in the women’s events have been broadened.

The about the burrito is that the woman is claiming she is the victim of an injustice perpetrated against her, that the drug testing is flawed, even though they are the same standards which apply to every athlete regardless of their sex or gender identity who wishes to compete in the women’s events. The criteria aren’t based upon social definitions of what constitutes a woman, they are based upon objective measurements of chemicals. In this particular woman’s case, she is cheating, and she got caught for it. There is no way her coach wouldn’t know what nandrolone is or it’s effects, or what other circumstances could cause what they claim is a false positive test result. The likelihood of what she claims is so remote as to be a completely unreasonable explanation. It’s only plausible as far as I’m concerned because I remember when I was going for a job and I had to do a medical test, and the results came back weeks later that even though I’d passed, they recommended I see my GP about a blood test for diabetes as my blood sugar levels were well outside the normal range. I remembered that before I’d gone in for the test, I’d had a breakfast roll and a 2ltr bottle of coke for breakfast that morning (not the most healthy, no :pac:), and it’s not unreasonable that she could go back in her food logs and see what she ate and narrow it down, but to the kind of specificity she claims? Highly unlikely. This coach explains it really well IMO -

The likes of Stephen Crowder and Ben Shapiro types will portray this athletes disqualification as unfair as a means to suggest that Hubbards qualification is unjustifiable, when one set of circumstances has literally nothing to do with the other. The athlete who was disqualified would have been disqualified anyway for failing the drugs test which applies equally to all athletes who wish to compete in women’s competitions.

The arguments for a separate category miss the point. Separate categories and competitions already exist, they have nothing to do with people who argue against their exclusion. It would be like suggesting that sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or discrimination based upon any of the other grounds of discrimination are justified because anyone who isn’t eligible based upon those criteria can simply band together and set up their own events. They already do, and they already have, but it does nothing to address the point people are making that the discrimination they face is unjustifiable and unfair, and using the same standards which are used to justify their exclusion - science, they have been able to demonstrate that they do not have an unfair advantage. That’s when those people who are opposed to the idea of people who are transgender bring out the social argument based upon identity politics, when they can’t use the scientific argument to justify unfair discrimination against people who are transgender.

When?

Never said it was!
    2019 Pacific Games

Linked earlier

f0ff87b36d01cc0d567aa0a095cf8cdd.png

That’s absolutely the rub of it - biological females aren’t perceived as a threat to anyone, so there’s no uproar about biological females transitioning to become transgender men. It’s easy to portray men as a threat to everyone, and on that basis it’s even easier to suggest that biological males who transition are an even greater threat, because they can be portrayed as only doing so because they want to deceive people, they’re trying to cheat and they should be stopped. Their limit is zero acceptance, under any circumstances.

I’m not missing the point of Stowers, that’s why I pointed out that if it weren’t for Stowers, they would have found someone else, and there are no shortage of women who are victims of sexual violence. That’s why I make the point that if women who are victims of sexual violence is something they care about, they would be addressing that issue in its own right, and not just using a woman who has been a victim of sexual violence as a stick to beat Hubbard with.

The question of classification of women just doesn’t arise, because the antonym of transgender is not nothing, it’s cisgender, and that is from a biological point of view. From a social point of view, it doesn’t make any sense either to suggest that a woman is not a woman. There is no one criteria for how woman or man is defined in a social context. It’s a designation predicated upon subjective opinion. The antonym of real is artificial, and then you’re into the difficulties of classifying what the distinctions are between what constitutes a real woman, and what constitutes an artificial woman, notwithstanding the fact that unnecessary cosmetic surgery is far more popular among real women to give them artificial enhancements, than it is among real men. Are those women then no longer real women because they are artificially enhanced? I don’t think so, in just the same way as I don’t think biological males aren’t women. I don’t see the conflict, and anyone who is of an opposite view is welcome to it, but they have no authority to inflict their views upon anyone who disagrees with them, and treat anyone unjustly or unfairly who doesn’t comply with their views. That would be unreasonable behaviour. They’re complaining that language is being redefined and women are being erased in the same way as opponents of marriage equality claimed that marriage was being redefined - it clearly wasn’t, and isn’t, simply by broadening the criteria for eligibility, no more than biological women are being denied the opportunity to compete in the Olympics because the criteria for eligibility in the women’s events have been broadened.

The about the burrito is that the woman is claiming she is the victim of an injustice perpetrated against her, that the drug testing is flawed, even though they are the same standards which apply to every athlete regardless of their sex or gender identity who wishes to compete in the women’s events. The criteria aren’t based upon social definitions of what constitutes a woman, they are based upon objective measurements of chemicals. In this particular woman’s case, she is cheating, and she got caught for it. There is no way her coach wouldn’t know what nandrolone is or it’s effects, or what other circumstances could cause what they claim is a false positive test result. The likelihood of what she claims is so remote as to be a completely unreasonable explanation. It’s only plausible as far as I’m concerned because I remember when I was going for a job and I had to do a medical test, and the results came back weeks later that even though I’d passed, they recommended I see my GP about a blood test for diabetes as my blood sugar levels were well outside the normal range. I remembered that before I’d gone in for the test, I’d had a breakfast roll and a 2ltr bottle of coke for breakfast that morning (not the most healthy, no :pac:), and it’s not unreasonable that she could go back in her food logs and see what she ate and narrow it down, but to the kind of specificity she claims? Highly unlikely. This coach explains it really well IMO -

The likes of Stephen Crowder and Ben Shapiro types will portray this athletes disqualification as unfair as a means to suggest that Hubbards qualification is unjustifiable, when one set of circumstances has literally nothing to do with the other. The athlete who was disqualified would have been disqualified anyway for failing the drugs test which applies equally to all athletes who wish to compete in women’s competitions.

The arguments for a separate category miss the point. Separate categories and competitions already exist, they have nothing to do with people who argue against their exclusion. It would be like suggesting that sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or discrimination based upon any of the other grounds of discrimination are justified because anyone who isn’t eligible based upon those criteria can simply band together and set up their own events. They already do, and they already have, but it does nothing to address the point people are making that the discrimination they face is unjustifiable and unfair, and using the same standards which are used to justify their exclusion - science, they have been able to demonstrate that they do not have an unfair advantage. That’s when those people who are opposed to the idea of people who are transgender bring out the social argument based upon identity politics, when they can’t use the scientific argument to justify unfair discrimination against people who are transgender.

This is exactly what we are up against.

This reminds me of Young Earth Creationists. I remember, many years ago, being stupid enough to debate them. "Easy!" I thought. Not so easy, though! They come very well armed and, no matter how obvious your points, they respond with, "But what about this, explain that!". Many times, you can't explain it - simply because you haven't researched it or the science they are claiming supports their view. Throw in some philosophical acrobatics and you can begin to look like a clown. But they nonetheless take that as a victory for themselves.

We see exactly the same phenomenon with transgender ideology. Those who are well armed will, like One Eyed Jack, bombard you with philosophical, ideological, and sometimes scientific points. You can get so bogged down in the detail that it becomes messy and confusing. That's the point, though - and it's the same as what you see with YEC, and many other kinds of conspiracy theory. "Make things really messy and maybe we can contort a kernel of truth to support an otherwise wildly unlikely outcome", kind of approach.

I've come to the conclusion there is no debating that kind of ideological wall.

It's pure dogmatism. And you can never change a person's mind who is dogmatically wedded to their worldview.

The fact that we are even debating whether biological-born males should later participate in women's sport, if they meet certain criteria, is shocking in and of itself.

Trans/cis was lifted from isomers where it has a function in chirality.

The identifier cis on the otherhand is wholly superflous and has no use outside of trans advocates' arguments.

A woman is a woman not a cis woman
    A man is a man
    A transwoman is a transwoman, the prefix is required to identify the fact the person is not a biological woman. Its not a biological argument or classification - its a TRA/gender studies nonsense.

This has been well ventilated in other threads.
    Your entire argument is a homepage of gender theory with sprinkles of bits of science that can. also say the opposite of what you argue.

Your argument seems to boil down to , why shouldn't she compete, ignoring the why she shouldn't.

This is exactly what we are up against.

This reminds me of Young Earth Creationists. I remember, many years ago, being stupid enough to debate them. "Easy!" I thought. Not so easy, though! They come very well armed and, no matter how obvious your points, they respond with, "But what about this, explain that!". Many times, you can't explain it - simply because you haven't researched it or the science they are claiming supports their view. Throw in some philosophical acrobatics and you can begin to look like a clown. But they nonetheless take that as a victory for themselves.

We see exactly the same phenomenon with transgender ideology. Those who are well armed will, like One Eyed Jack, bombard you with philosophical, ideological, and sometimes scientific points. You can get so bogged down in the detail that it becomes messy and confusing. That's the point, though - and it's the same as what you see with YEC, and many other kinds of conspiracy theory. "Make things really messy and maybe we can contort a kernel of truth to support an otherwise wildly unlikely outcome", kind of approach.

It's pure dogmatism. And you can never change a person's mind who is dogmatically wedded to their worldview.

The fact that we are even debating whether biological-born males should later participate in women's sport, if they meet certain criteria, is shocking in and of itself.

You’re complaining that it’s dogmatism and that people with evidence are dogmatically wedded to their world view are akin to YEC, but you with no evidence and too lazy to bother doing your own research expect that your claims should be taken seriously enough to justify irrational and unjustifiable discrimination…

Right. That makes sense.

As it happens, I was reminiscing about Riverdance last night as I used to be a competitive Irish dancer (my click hip gave me an advantage in those circumstances) and I still have an interest in competitions. One thing I always hated however, was the costume we had to wear. While it allowed for a degree of freedom of movement, it was quite restrictive in other ways -

It was quite the revelation when Michael Flatley pinged across the stage like he’d been shot from a catapult, it was only then at that moment I understood what my Irish dancing teacher meant when she said “push the floor down with your feet”. I was thinking literally, “the floors going nowhere Goddammit!”, I just couldn’t understand what she meant, but once I understood it I was a much better dancer for it :D

• Advertisement

your claims should be taken seriously enough to justify irrational and unjustifiable discrimination…

From wiki

"Discrimination is the act of making unjustified distinctions between human beings based on the groups, classes, or other categories to which they are perceived to belong"

Not allowing her compete would not be
    discrimination.
    It would be qualified , rational and justifiable.

Allowing her compete is irrational.
    And deeply deeply unfair.

And yet debate we must, because I promise you, the tactics you outline are transparent and the majority of people see the straightforward injustice when it's outlined.

I used to be a "trans women are women" advocate and couldn't understand why anyone would have any problem with that. And then the areas of contention were pointed out to me. And while I still feel that trans women should be left alone to live their lives as they wish, and that they face discriminations of their own which are unjust, I now see that there are significant issues with allowing male people into heretofore female-only spaces, such as in the subject of this thread.

Most people who say "trans women are women" have not considered the issue beyond a laudable, surface-level desire for all people to be treated equally and have their dignity preserved. Most are not the ideological, Foucault-on-steroids lingual acrobats you're talking about here.

It just takes a little sunlight.

And that is why the activist mod here and the (very) few ideologues who do post are desperate to get all discussion around this subject shut down.

I wish they wouldn't. They are pulling on a spring I don't want to see snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The arguments for a separate category miss the point. Separate categories and competitions already exist, they have nothing to do with people who argue against their exclusion. It would be like suggesting that sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or discrimination based upon any of the other grounds of discrimination are justified because anyone who isn’t eligible based upon those criteria can simply band together and set up their own events.
    They already do, and they already have, but it does nothing to address the point people are making that the discrimination they face is unjustifiable and unfair, and using the same standards which are used to justify their exclusion - science, they have been able to demonstrate that they do not have an unfair advantage. That’s when those people who are opposed to the idea of people who are transgender bring out the social argument based upon identity politics, when they can’t use the scientific argument to justify unfair discrimination against people who are transgender.

Which science demonstrates transgender females don't have an unfair advantage over cis gender women. Can you present the science.

The science presented here suggests they do have an unfair advantage.

https://play.acast.com/s/realscienceofsport/whytransgenderathletesthreatenfairnessinwomenssport

I thought it was a well reasoned and researched podcast. For example it gives LH an outside chance at a medal because she's not the best weightlifter but the structure of Olympics where participants from all over the world are required means there may be better weightlifters who don't qualify for their region.

It also explains the difference between sex and gender.

Do you disagree with the science which seems to show the physical differences in males and females as a result of puberty mean the average male will outcompete the average female. Some of the differences are discussed in the podcast.

The elite female will still outcompete the average male. This doesn't prove transgender athletes have no advantage it just proves whoever beat them was more elite, it doesn't prove the transgender athlete didn't perform better than they otherwise would have.

The elite female will still outcompete the average male. This doesn't prove transgender athletes have no advantage it just proves whoever beat them was more elite, it doesn't prove the transgender athlete didn't perform better than they otherwise would have.

I would go further and say that, even if there were no physical advantage, transgender women should - as a matter of principle alone - not compete with women born to biological women's bodies.

The physical advantage thing is a bit of a distraction, if you ask me. We have completely forgotten about the principle itself.

I would go further and say that, even if there were no physical advantage, transgender women should - as a matter of principle alone - not compete with women born to biological women's bodies.

The physical advantage thing is a bit of a distraction, if you ask me. We have completely forgotten about the principle itself.

It's principle and science!

From wiki

"Discrimination is the act of making unjustified distinctions between human beings based on the groups, classes, or other categories to which they are perceived to belong"

Not allowing her compete would not be
    discrimination.
    It would be qualified , rational and justifiable.

It is discrimination though, and it’s a policy, so it’s not unfair to individual athletes who don’t meet the eligibility criteria, it’s discrimination against a whole group of athletes who would otherwise be eligible to compete, regardless of whoever else did or didn’t qualify to compete. Discrimination without legitimate reason is unfair, and that’s why laws allow for discrimination provided it is a means to achieve a legitimate aim. Exclusion of a single individual athlete on the basis that they are a threat to the legitimate aim of women’s sports is entirely unreasonable, irrational and unfair. It would be similar to arguments at the time that women’s participation in what were regarded as men’s sports were a threat to men’s sports. 100 years later, men’s sports are still going strong. Women’s sports will continue to be as strong as they are now.

It is discrimination though, and it’s a policy, so it’s not unfair to individual athletes who don’t meet the eligibility criteria, it’s discrimination against a whole group of athletes who would otherwise be eligible to compete, regardless of whoever else did or didn’t qualify to compete. Discrimination without legitimate reason is unfair, and that’s why laws allow for discrimination provided it is a means to achieve a legitimate aim. Exclusion of a single individual athlete on the basis that they are a threat to the legitimate aim of women’s sports is entirely unreasonable, irrational and unfair. It would be similar to arguments at the time that women’s participation in what were regarded as men’s sports were a threat to men’s sports. 100 years later, men’s sports are still going strong. Women’s sports will continue to be as strong as they are now.

We already discriminate between men's sport and women's sport on the basis of sex.

All we are advocating is upholding that very discrimination that has existed for millennia.

it’s discrimination against a whole group of athletes who would otherwise be eligible to compete, ...
    Discrimination without legitimate reason is unfair, and that’s why laws allow for discrimination provided it is a means to achieve a legitimate aim.

Exclusion of a single individual athlete on the basis that they are a threat to the legitimate aim of women’s sports is entirely unreasonable, irrational and unfair. It would be similar to arguments at the time that women’s participation in what were regarded as men’s sports were a threat to men’s sports. 100 years later, men’s sports are still going strong. Women’s sports will continue to be as strong as they are now.

I completely agree.
    Discrimination is wrong.

But not allowing a biological male compete against biological women would not in any reasonable, rational and logical world be discrimination.

Biological males are free to compete against other biological males whatever their sexual identity or preference. They're not being discriminated.

That's a complete red herring at the end.
    Women's sports cane about without threat to men's sports, but it's women competing in them against other women,not blokes.

We already discriminate between men's sport and women's sport on the basis of sex.

All we are advocating is upholding that very discrimination that has existed for millennia.

We're not discriminating - we're differentiating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

We're not discriminating - we're differentiating!

it's the same thing, we apply rules for admission

Advertisement