Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First olympic transgender athlete to compete at Tokyo 2020 **MOD NOTE IN OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

timeToLive wrote: »
    when is this event - I will watch it with popcorn

Probably never. Either a boycott will take place, or the entrant at issue will withdraw or be withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Not sure why they can't just have an asterisk in the rule book: *Birth gender only

Problem solved - No discrimination, no disappointment, no drama

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I understand they are two different things. But the point was that they subjected her to a series of tests based on the possibility that she might have some advantages due to having suspected male characteristics in her genetic makeup. In the end up she was passed as allowed to compete as a fair competitor.

So do they have similar tests for the transgenders. Not the exact same tests I mean, but similar in principle.

I'm not commenting on rights or wrongs. I'm just asking whether they have criteria. If they do, and the weightlifter passed them, then people can't complain. Well if they do, the are really complaining about the tests.

Transgender athletes must have testosterone below a certain level in their blood. However, even the IOC now seems to regret the level they chose which is very high and also acknowledge that there are far more advantages that have nothing to do with hormone levels.

In fairness, he was better.

No shame in that.

Technique-wise, he might not have been. Just being stronger and quicker would negate some of the Williams sisters’ technique.

Technique-wise, he might not have been. Just being stronger and quicker would negate some of the Williams sisters’ technique.

So.... better.

If you can beat your opponent, you are better.

• Advertisement

So.... better.

If you can beat your opponent, you are better.

I don’t agree! There would not be different divisions if it was just about brute strength. The gold medallist in any women’s event could not celebrate her win if we acknowledged that many men would beat her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Professor Ross Tucker, Sports Physiologist -

"Biological males have significant performance advantages over biological females through their exposure to testosterone and other hormones in their development.

Does lowering or suppressing testosterone for a period of 12 months, or longer, remove typically male advantages? The answer, from the outcome of over a dozen studies, is an emphatic no."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Does lowering or suppressing testosterone for a period of 12 months, or longer, remove typically male advantages? The answer, from the outcome of over a dozen studies, is an emphatic no."
    This is why permitting her to compete gets a resounding no from me. It’s unfair to biological women who never had the advantage of going through male puberty.

Actually, it’s not just unfair, it’s egregiously unfair.

I don’t agree! There would not be different divisions if it was just about brute strength. The gold medallist in any women’s event could not celebrate her win if we acknowledged that many men would beat her.

You don't have to agree. You are entitled to be wrong.

If two people compete in tennis, the person who consistently wins is better at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Large number of misgendering posts on this thread.
    Hi can I say it more clearly

IT IS THE OLYMPICS THAT NEED TO BE CHANGED NOT THE TRANSGENDER ATHLETES.

so stop being horrible about the athlete.

• Advertisement

You don't have to agree. You are entitled to be wrong.

If two people compete in tennis, the person who consistently wins is better at it.

Well, isn’t that big of you? :)

Vestiapx wrote: »

I agree. The Olympics need to change to stop biological men from competing against women.

Glad we agree.

Well, isn’t that big of you? :)

I'm genuinely sorry. That was unnecessarily snarky.

There are a number of posts that are misgendering Hubbard, true. However, I hope you are not including the ones that refer to Hubbard’s biological sex. Sex =/= gender. And biological sex kind of has come up in discussing this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭volchitsa

biko wrote: »
    Maybe they should just let everyone compete in one big inclusive group? Do away with gender and weight classes.

As far as women’s weight categories go they pretty much have done, with Laurel Hubbard:

She’s 130 kg so wouldn’t be allowed to compete against men in two categories below that (96-109kg) because that would be unfair.

But because the maximum women’s category is >87kg, she’s up against women of 88 or 90 kg and that’s stunning and brave of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I feel very sorry for the woman who missed out on a place at the Olympics because of this.

Who has probably trained for years and will now miss out. Seems very unfair to me.

That woman had to drop down 18kg and a weight division to compete at the last commonwealth games. not in contention for Olympics but has been very vocal about the whole issue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracey_Lambrechs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Personal responsibility still exists.

The person involved should have had more integrity than to engage in this grim joke. Either they are wilfully cheating or breathtakingly self centred. Or both.

They simply cannot be unaware of the mammoth physical advantages being a biological man gives them over women.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

DeadHand wrote: »
    Personal responsibility still exists.
    I fear you may have missed several memos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'll never forget this picture. It really does speak 1000 words. Feel very bad for those women, they look dejected. Soon to be coming to the world stage, and I don't think her opponents will get away with expressing their displeasure these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I've been saying this since the pistorius years but it's long past time to just make a second Olympics where drugs, body modifications and all other kinds of fvckery are acceptable that would hopefully stop things like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Will this result in the female competitors boycotting the event. I sure hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Will this result in the female competitors boycotting the event. I sure hope so.

Yea it's deeply unfair on them, I've no issue with people changing sex, buts there's clearly different physicality

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

They do that and their careers are over. They'll be labelled transphobes and almost certainly lose sponsorships because of it. The mob on Social Media will make sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Weight is only part of it, a man and a woman who weighted the same would still have different potentials like for like, men have a different skeletal structure, centre of gravity, different ratios of upper body strength , larger lung capacity and many more, you couldnt come up with a way to nerf a dude so they could compete fairly with a woman.
    At least it will make the Olympics interesting allbeit in the sht show sense

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

If this does go ahead I can see there being very little noise being made about it, the cameras will all be busy at another event taking place at the same time or the scheduling will be such that the women's weightlifting will be on the same time as more popular televised events during the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Can't wait to see what happens when this starts happening for sports people actually care about e.g. women's tennis, golf etc. 300 yard drives, 165 mph serves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Its a f@cking joke that a man can undergo some , basically superficial sex changes , and compete as a woman. The Olympic Council, for allowing this have , imo , destroyed any ethos of equality and sports on an equal footing. Next thing will be dialing a premium rate phone number to decide medals in gymnastics, diving etc. With Simon Cowell pulling faces in the voting booth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

cj maxx wrote: »
    Its a f@cking joke that a man can undergo some , basically superficial sex changes , and compete as a women. The Olympic Council, for allowing this have , imo , destroyed any ethos of equality and sports on an equal footing. Next thing will be dialing a premium rate phone number to decide medals in gymnastics, diving etc. With Simon Cowell pulling faces in the voting booth.

Votes would make things a bit equal. The women would have some chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

as far as i am aware she has to take drugs to reduce her testosterone level to be able to compete ... in my opinion this is just the same as taking PEDs to make a weight category or increase strength / endurance.

If she needs drugs to qualify she shouldn't be allowed compete against other 'clean' athletes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Re: Any potential boycott

Going from the last Olympic event. Hubbard will be competing against women from the likes of

China
    North Korea
    Egypt
    Nigeria
    Ukraine
    Venezuela
    Tunisia
    Georgia
    Algeria

Other countries that are strong in weightlifting: Iran, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Romania, Armenia, Belarus.

You think they'll be chuffed at how "Progressive" it is? :pac:

They won't even share a locker room with Hubbard.

Advertisement