Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on outside fire pits

Options
  • 21-06-2021 10:06pm

Hi all

Whats your opinions on them.

Asking cos I see the neighbour behind me has built on, he may just be using it for bbqs but a few nights ago he was burning wet wood out the back and the smoke was everywhere so I have a bit of fear this could be common. I only realised when i was watching TV in the front of my house and got a stink of smoke, looked out the window when closing them and the smoke was literally swirling over the wall

Whats peoples thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I love a good firepit, but if the smoke is choking up the neighbourhood it’s hardly much fun to sit around.

I have a DIY firepit, where I am trying to incorporate a secondary burn to eliminate smoke, so I can use or mix in greener wood

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I love sitting at fires outdoors. I don't have a fire pit though because I live in a built up area and unlike your neighbour, am not an inconsiderate a hole. That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps if neighbor burnt kiln dried logs it wouldn't be a problem?

I'm confused about the legality of this.
    As I understand it, back yard burning is illegal, right?
    So, if I burn a load of waste timber in my back yard, I'm breaking the law, right?

If I put said timber into a pit or chimnea or some such other lifestyle product, does it then become legal to burn the same wood?

Like I said, I'm confused.:confused:

Perhaps if neighbor burnt kiln dried logs it wouldn't be a problem?

I'm confused about the legality of this.
    As I understand it, back yard burning is illegal, right?
    So, if I burn a load of waste timber in my back yard, I'm breaking the law, right?

If I put said timber into a pit or chimnea or some such other lifestyle product, does it then become legal to burn the same wood?

Like I said, I'm confused.:confused:

AFAIK burning is waste illegal, unless in an authorised incinerator, so burning waste in a chimnea/fire pit wouldn't make it legal.
    It's also illegal to cause a nuisance.
    And there a national ban on smokey fuel coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

BBQ season creates these alright.

Your neighbour will hopefully also be annoyed with the wet wood smoke situation, realise the error of his ways and use dry wood next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

you can have a bbq,firepit and a food smoker within city limits but a incinerator is a no,you can use 1 in the county though. as with all fires using wood,charcoal it will be smokey at the start,using wet wood is a complete waste of time

Advertisement