Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses in Ireland are dirt cheap

Options
  • 21-06-2021 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

A couple earning the average wage each in Ireland of 40k are spoiled can easily afford a house in many areas of the countrys capital. Let's say 270k.
    With the deposit of 10% being a mere couple of years saving away I would say this is easily achievable. Maybe you might have to sell that golf you got on pcp for 20 odd grand. You might have to give up that holiday to Lanzarote for a couple of years. You might even have to give up 200quid nights out for a couple of years. Saving a deposit for a house has never been easier. Its little more than half the average wage for one person on the average wage in a double income situation. Go outside Dublin and this situation is dramatically easier. 3 bed semis in very desirable areas are available within 40 mins of the m50 for 200k. There is no housing crisis in Ireland. There is a postcode snobbery crisis and a lifestyle snobbery crisis. People not willing to either live in an area they can afford or take responsibility for their financial decisions. In a land where 30k weddings and 30k cars are the norm and people having 3 kids and living it up in Lanzarote before securing housing for their family , all I see is people failing to take responsibility for their own housing. If you have a car worth more than a couple of grand or have gotten married or have been on holidays in the last 4 years of have been on nights out regularly and are complaining about the price of houses I have no sympathy for you. Sorry .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Could you convert that to sugar cubes please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So everyone is to live like hermits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Darc19 wrote: »
    So everyone is to live like hermits.

Well saving your money and spending it at the same time is pretty hard isnt it ? It's about priorities at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

*Other holiday destinations are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

Buddy boy houses are not affordable and it will get worse over the next 4 years before it starts to get better or collapse. Demand is high, building costs are going through the roof, tradesmen are in short supply, coupled with tighter planning regs and the gubberment bidding against the average buyer instead of creating council estates.

I'm very pessimistic regards the medium future for the 20/3o year olds, hell even those in their 40s or about to hit it. Maybe a collapse is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Op is right but I'd hate to live in a 270 grand house in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Very true for the 80k income bracket. Is that most people?

40 minutes from the M50 in ideal conditions or real conditions?

From the M50 how long do you think it takes to get to say St james hospital at 8am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

Yawn - House prices are going to hit Celtic Tiger level soon as we are not building 40,000 new homes in this country every year. Sigh some people just have no clue.

There is 665 properties on daft in Dublin county for sale at the moment under 275,000 out of a population of 550,000. A lot of these are crappy one bed apartments.

224 of these properties are houses where people actually want to raise a family in and could cut out half of them for been in rough estates.

When people are bidding on these properties they usually can't get them as someone will always go 40K above the asking price

There is 8448 properties under 275,000 in the whole of Ireland on daft out of a population of 5,000,000.

Please go and do some research and stop thinking its because of people not saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

Could you convert that to sugar cubes please

Let me explain it to you. Meet Salt and Pepper…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"What are you doing on the internet honey?"

- "I'm telling everybody how they're wrong, indolent, feckless, take holidays in Lanzarote and drive cars."

"Come to bed"

*eye twitches*

- "I haven't even mentioned smartphones yet..."

• Advertisement

Yawn - House prices are going to hit Celtic Tiger level soon as we are not building 40,000 new homes in this country every year. Sigh some people just have no clue.

There is 665 properties on daft in Dublin county for sale at the moment under 275,000 out of a population of 550,000. A lot of these are crappy one bed apartments.

224 of these properties are houses where people actually want to raise a family in and could cut out half of them for been in rough estates.

When people are bidding on these properties they usually can't get them as someone will always go 40K above the asking price

There is 8448 properties under 275,000 in the whole of Ireland on daft out of a population of 5,000,000.

Please go and do some research and stop thinking its because of people not saving money.

200 HOUSES in dublin for sale under 275k. 5 million people are not looking to buy a house. Stop quoting irrelevant figures and yawns and sighs are also irrelevant. The point is housing is not unaffordable for the average couple. It's just unaffordable in highly desirable locations. This is the way a free market works. Seems to be lost on most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Bit ****ty how expensive it is in general though.

Someone I know is apart of generation wealth. He didn’t save for his house barely.
    If he was able to get to where he is with no effort spending every waking second pretending to be in work whilst in the pub then anyone could do it back then.

His asset is now worth 400k. He bought it for 29k in 1991. The asset has increased in value by 1300% in 30 years.

Well done to him.
    Didn’t require his wife’s salary to purchase the house either.

Now someone has to break their back to a sizeable deposit only for the banks to decide last minute that you and your partners income is not trustworthy enough and you’ll have to continue to live in mammy and daddy’s box room to keep saving if you’re so lucky.

The price of houses is going up quicker than you can save and the government is handing money to developers increasing cost of new builds via schemes like help to buy.

You’re being bid against by the state to put council house tenants in a house they used to outbid you with your own money.

Trust funds are also the other people you’re bidding against with an endless pot.

There’s numerous problems with the housing market.
    Don’t act like there isn’t.

Thankfully I own my own house since late last year.
    I paid Dublin rents while me and my partner saved and broke our boIIox for 2 years.
    If we were trying to buy were we did this year we wouldn’t have a chance. We got in just in time.
    We were lucky.

dor843088 wrote: »
    200 HOUSES in dublin for sale under 275k. 5 million people are not looking to buy a house. Stop quoting irrelevant figures and yawns and sighs are also irrelevant. The point is housing is not unaffordable for the average couple. It's just unaffordable in highly desirable locations. This is the way a free market works. Seems to be lost on most.

Speaking of irrelevant, those 200 (which you presumably pulled from daft) many of which will be sh*boxes requiring extensive renovation will sell for far above 275k. You know it, I know it, everybody reading this knows it.

We have enough tHaT's JUst dE WAy it IZ merchants all over this forum. You don't have a good record of coming out of it looking good so just quit while you're ahead and have a good night's sleep.

Bit ****ty how expensive it is in general though.

Someone I know is apart of generation wealth. He didn’t save for his house barely.
    If he was able to get to where he is with no effort spending every waking second pretending to be in work whilst in the pub then anyone could do it back then.

His asset is now worth 400k. He bought it for 29k in 1991. The asset has increased in value by 1300% in 30 years.

Well done to him.
    Didn’t require his wife’s salary to purchase the house either.

Now someone has to break their back to a sizeable deposit only for the banks to decide last minute that you and your partners income is not trustworthy enough and you’ll have to continue to live in mammy and daddy’s box room to keep saving if you’re so lucky.

The price of houses is going up quicker than you can save and the government is handing money to developers increasing cost of new builds via schemes like help to buy.

You’re being bid against by the state to put council house tenants in a house they used to outbid you with your own money.

Trust funds are also the other people you’re bidding against with an endless pot.

There’s numerous problems with the housing market.
    Don’t act like there isn’t.

Thankfully I own my own house since late last year.
    I paid Dublin rents while me and my partner saved and broke our boIIox for 2 years.
    If we were trying to buy were we did this year we wouldn’t have a chance. We got in just in time.
    We were lucky.

You weren't lucky at all. You did what you had to do and saved for 2 years so fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

A couple earning the average wage each in Ireland of 40k are spoiled can easily afford a house in many areas of the countrys capital. Let's say 270k.
    With the deposit of 10% being a mere couple of years saving away I would say this is easily achievable. Maybe you might have to sell that golf you got on pcp for 20 odd grand. You might have to give up that holiday to Lanzarote for a couple of years. You might even have to give up 200quid nights out for a couple of years. Saving a deposit for a house has never been easier. Its little more than half the average wage for one person on the average wage in a double income situation. Go outside Dublin and this situation is dramatically easier. 3 bed semis in very desirable areas are available within 40 mins of the m50 for 200k. There is no housing crisis in Ireland. There is a postcode snobbery crisis and a lifestyle snobbery crisis. People not willing to either live in an area they can afford or take responsibility for their financial decisions. In a land where 30k weddings and 30k cars are the norm and people having 3 kids and living it up in Lanzarote before securing housing for their family , all I see is people failing to take responsibility for their own housing. If you have a car worth more than a couple of grand or have gotten married or have been on holidays in the last 4 years of have been on nights out regularly and are complaining about the price of houses I have no sympathy for you. Sorry .

You missed the avocado toast Op

Yurt! wrote: »
    Speaking of irrelevant, those 200 (which you presumably pulled from daft) many of which will be sh*boxes requiring extensive renovation will sell for far above 275k. You know it, I know it, everybody reading this knows it.

We have enough tHaT's JUst dE WAy it IZ merchants all over this forum. You don't have a good record of coming out of it looking good so just quit while you're ahead and have a good night's sleep.

If you dont want to pay the price for a sh1tbox as you put it nobody is forcing you to buy . The market decides the price. Getting personal with me wont do you any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You should remortgage yours (or convince your mother you'd still have the basement) and buy a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

But Lanzarote's chape

If you dont want to pay the price for a sh1tbox as you put it nobody is forcing you to buy . The market decides the price. Getting personal with me wont do you any good.

Sure thing champ. Sh*t thread btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

So let me guess, there is no housing crisis whatsoever in Ireland and its just that people won't move to other locations is it? Your really not helping yourself here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Somebody bought a house and is worried he'll be in negative equity if house prices fall eh?

We have a major housing crisis, prices of houses are rising in areas that never rise.

You can't buy those 300k houses for 300k.

So let me guess, there is no housing crisis whatsoever in Ireland and its just that people won't move to other locations is it? Your really not helping yourself here.

People on average wages should not be able to afford houses in high demand areas like nice areas in a capital city. Not sure why this is a concept most cant accept

Anyone watch the euros today? Danes fairly put it on the Russians.

rob316 wrote: »
    Somebody bought a house and is worried he'll be in negative equity if house prices fall eh?

We have a major housing crisis, prices of houses are rising in areas that never rise.

You can't buy those 300k houses for 300k.
    I bought my primary residence over a decade ago. I'm far from negative equity . Not sure what relevance that has but you're making incredible assumptions. The old strawman argument.

Choon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is going nowhere. Yurt! - if you find issue with a thread report it rather than going deliberately off topic like that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement