Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Sky Dish for UK Freeview Channels?

• 22-06-2021 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi all,

The cable keeps popping out of my Sky dish which I have been using for the UK Freeview Channels. At this point I can no longer fiddle around with it to make it work again. Are there any good, reliable indoor alternatives to using a Sky dish for these channels? I'm not interested in IPTV in this instance. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Hi all,

The cable keeps popping out of my Sky dish which I have been using for the UK Freeview Channels. At this point I can no longer fiddle around with it to make it work again. Are there any good, reliable indoor alternatives to using a Sky dish for these channels? I'm not interested in IPTV in this instance. Thanks in advance!

No

How do you expect the signal to get from England to your screen other than via a satellite dish or the Internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Old McGroin

athlone573 wrote: »
    No

How do you expect the signal to get from England to your screen other than via a satellite dish or the Internet?

Thanks for your reply ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The signal does not have to come from England!

OP, where do you live? If you live in Donegal/Cavan/Monaghan/Louth, or parts of Wicklow/Wexford, you may be able to pick up Freeview, the U.K. version of Saorview (digital terrestrial) from Northern Ireland or Wales. You are unlikely to be able to do so with an internal aerial however and may need an external one.

Otherwise, cable TV solutions such as Virgin Media/eir TV/Vodafone may be available, eir is only another €10 a month on top of eir broadband and may be a cost effective solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Even an extra tenner a month is 120 quid a year. More than enough to pay for some lad to come out and sort the connector to the dish for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Tightly wrap some tape around the wire before putting on your F connector.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    The signal does not have to come from England!

OP, where do you live? If you live in Donegal/Cavan/Monaghan/Louth, or parts of Wicklow/Wexford, you may be able to pick up Freeview, the U.K. version of Saorview (digital terrestrial) from Northern Ireland or Wales. You are unlikely to be able to do so with an internal aerial however and may need an external one.

Otherwise, cable TV solutions such as Virgin Media/eir TV/Vodafone may be available, eir is only another €10 a month on top of eir broadband and may be a cost effective solution.

I'm in East Cork, I knew I was being a bit optimistic but had to ask the question before stumping up for a pro to fix it for me! Thanks for your reply :)

lawred2 wrote: »
    Even an extra tenner a month is 120 quid a year. More than enough to pay for some lad to come out and sort the connector to the dish for good.

Yeah looks like this is the route I'll need to go, cheers :)

Tried this before and it worked for a while but now, nothing. Spent a while with it the other day and couldn't even get a broken connection, just nothing. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Is your dish easily accessible, it must be if you can fiddle with it, has it more than one output ie 2 cables if it only has one cable then all you need do is replace the lnb and a single LNB is dirt cheap.

look here.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/172978609411?hash=item2846541d03:g:VI4AAOSwN4BguQve

And if you could upload a pic of the troublesome wire that would be even better as there may be other easier and far cheaper solutions!

swoofer wrote: »
    Is your dish easily accessible, it must be if you can fiddle with it, has it more than one output ie 2 cables if it only has one cable then all you need do is replace the lnb and a single LNB is dirt cheap.

look here.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/172978609411?hash=item2846541d03:g:VI4AAOSwN4BguQve

And if you could upload a pic of the troublesome wire that would be even better as there may be other easier and far cheaper solutions!

Thanks man, very helpful! Busy painting the house before work so I'll try and get a pic up in a while, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Before fitting the connector? Why would you do that, unless you have the wrong size connector for the cable?

OP, take a look here for some fitting info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭decor58

Hi all,

When you say " the cable keeps popping out of your dish", does the cable come out of the plug, I have had poor quality F connections (screw on type) in the past, can you replace the plug or preferably clamp the plug onto the cable. Or would you prefer an alternative source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Before fitting the connector? Why would you do that, unless you have the wrong size connector for the cable?

The problem these days is the cheap thin white cableing used by Sky installers. F-connectors come loose very easily. It's how I fixed my own. Adds some girth to the cable

Also, didn't you used to play for Fulham??

Advertisement