If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony STR-DH550 Technical Issue

Options
  • 22-06-2021 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I bought a Sony STR-DH550 AV Amplifier from you guys a while back for my sister.  I'm pretty sure it's well out of guarantee now but I did want to check if you have heard of the problem she is having with the amp.  

A few months ago she rang and said there was no sound coming from the amp (on the TV input) but the picture was fine.  I did all the remote troubleshooting I could and found that if she swapped the cable to a different input (e.g. game) the sound and picture started working again.  All was good.

Last week she rang with the same issue again.  We swapped to the BR/DVD input and again the issue was resolved.  

I'm getting a bit worried now as there are no more spare working inputs.  Have you guys heard of similar issues with this amp?  And is there any solution that I could try to 'fix' the problem on this end.

Thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

ShaneOC wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I bought a Sony STR-DH550 AV Amplifier from you guys a while back for my sister.  I'm pretty sure it's well out of guarantee now but I did want to check if you have heard of the problem she is having with the amp.  

A few months ago she rang and said there was no sound coming from the amp (on the TV input) but the picture was fine.  I did all the remote troubleshooting I could and found that if she swapped the cable to a different input (e.g. game) the sound and picture started working again.  All was good.

Last week she rang with the same issue again.  We swapped to the BR/DVD input and again the issue was resolved.  

I'm getting a bit worried now as there are no more spare working inputs.  Have you guys heard of similar issues with this amp?  And is there any solution that I could try to 'fix' the problem on this end.

Thanks!
    Hi ShaneOC,

That is odd that the issue is following the inputs around.

There is a button called "Speakers" at the front of the amplifier, sometimes if this gets pressed it can knock the sound off but that should happen across all inputs.

The only think I can suggest is to look at the HDMI settings on the amp and see what they are set to, just in case they have been changed. The other thing to try would be a full factory reset as sometimes this can fix a software issue.

Let me know how you get on with that and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of it!

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reverting to the factory default settings[/font]
    [font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]You can clear all memorized settings and restore the receiver to the factory default settings by the following procedure. This procedure can also be used to initialize the receiver before you use it for the first time.
    Be sure to use the buttons on the receiver to perform this operation.
    [/font]
    1. Turn off the receiver.
    2. Hold down souni_power.png (on/standby) on the receiver for 5 seconds.
      [CLEARING] appears on the display panel for a while, then changes to [CLEARED *].
    [*]

Note
    • It takes a few minutes for the memory to be cleared completely. Do not turn the receiver off until [CLEARED *] appears on the display panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Hi David,

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try that when I'm up there later this week.  Will certainly let you know how I get on.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi David,

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try that when I'm up there later this week.  Will certainly let you know how I get on.
    No problem ShaneOC, keep me posted!

Hi DavidS, 

On a slightly separate topic: I've ordered some speaker cable from you guys (order # 142979) this morning. She had been using very poor cable previously and it's something Ive meant to replace for ages. 

Can I be really cheeky and ask if you can get it in the post today?

Thanks,
    Shane

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi DavidS, 

On a slightly separate topic: I've ordered some speaker cable from you guys (order # 142979) this morning. She had been using very poor cable previously and it's something Ive meant to replace for ages. 

Can I be really cheeky and ask if you can get it in the post today?

Thanks,
    Shane
    Hi Shane.

Thanks for the order for the cable :)

It will be shipping out this afternoon via DPD and you should get it tomorrow.

Once DPD collect it they will generate a text message to you with your tracking details.

If you have any issues please let me know.

• Advertisement

Hi DavidS, thanks for the tip on resetting the amp.  All inputs working again.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi DavidS, thanks for the tip on resetting the amp.  All inputs working again.
    Hey ShaneOC.

Excellent that you are up and running :)

I'll pass it on to David for you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.