Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UEFA refuse to sanction illuminating Munich Stadium in rainbow colours

Options

Comments

The woke media have the gullible wrapped around their fingers.
    Every few years the nice and twee Commonwealth Games take place with not a rainbow flag or illumination in sight.
    Homosexuality is illegal in 35 of the 54 countries that are members of the British Commonwealth but lets not mention that.

Once again, you seem to think that users don't object to countries having such regressive laws. I also wouldn't view the UK having great principles in this issue... So it's a pretty bad example. By many poster's logic, we shouldn't apply principles at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Sadlier and Duff agreeing that UEFA are devoid of principles.
    https://twitter.com/GavanCasey/status/1407769923955400709?s=19

UEFA are devoid of principles? Wasnt it Sadler one of the many to jump to conclusions and accuse Presentation college and its staff in Carlow, of sexual assault without verified information. Moran.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

UEFA are devoid of principles? Wasnt it Sadler one of the many to jump to conclusions and accuse Presentation college and its staff in Carlow, of sexual assault without verified information. Moran.

leave Kevin out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

fvp4 wrote: »
    It’s simple.

Qatar is far far worse. Qatar is even worse than Ireland in the Jackie Charlton era. It has the death penalty for homosexuality. That’s legal in Hungary and has been since 1961. 30 years longer than Ireland. Hungary has civil partnership.

So maybe the protests should be stronger than against Hungary. Maybe a boycott.

In fact nothing will happen.

So because theres a worse situation elsewhere protesting against Hungary isnt allowed? Classic whataboutery

The phrase "keep politics out of football" only occurs when its a politics the person saying it doesn't agree with. Every fan of an english club was crossing their fingers for politics to get involved with football when the whole super league thing was happening a month again but now suddenly again its keep politics out of football..... hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

VinLieger wrote: »
    The phrase "keep politics out of football" only occurs when its a politics the person saying it doesn't agree with.

I disagree with that. It's not true in my case. It might be slightly more valid to suggest that people only agree with bringing politics into sport when it's the politics they agree with.

I'd much rather sports generally had no politics. I like the Olympic ideal (somewhat flawed though it is in implementation) where competitors meet and leave their differences, political, social and any other, outside the stadium.

• Advertisement

tjhook wrote: »
    I disagree with that. It's not true in my case. It might be slightly more valid to suggest that people only agree with bringing politics into sport when it's the politics they agree with.

I'd much rather sports generally had no politics. I like the Olympic ideal (somewhat flawed though it is in implementation) where competitors meet and leave their differences, political, social and any other, outside the stadium.

Im a cynic and im of the opinion that anyone who thinks professional sports or national level amateur sports IE the olympics isnt already littered with political interference and influence is incredibly naive or just wilfully ignorant.

The olympic ideal is a lovely thought but not realistic or even possible anymore.

The olympic ideal is a lovely thought but not realistic or even possible anymore.

The same goes for world peace, an end to hunger, end of homelessness... it doesn't mean we shouldn't strive towards them.

The same goes for world peace, an end to hunger, end of homelessness... it doesn't mean we shouldn't strive towards them.

Jesus, maybe get some perspective?

Im a cynic and im of the opinion that anyone who thinks professional sports or national level amateur sports IE the olympics isnt already littered with political interference and influence is incredibly naive or just wilfully ignorant.

Completely, people citing Qatar, it was entirely background politics that allowed for that to become the case. It's laughable that anyone could think that UEFA is the professional thing though.

Jesus, maybe get some perspective?

You don't think the Olympic ideal can be achieved and so isn't worth striving for. Is that your opinion of all ideals that can never be achieved?

As for perspective, maybe those who want to bring more causes and politics into sport can "get some perspective" and instead enjoy sporting occasions for what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You don't think the Olympic ideal can be achieved and so isn't worth striving for. Is that your opinion of all ideals that can never be achieved?

As for perspective, maybe those who want to bring more causes and politics into sport can "get some perspective" and instead enjoy sporting occasions for what they are.

As soon as commercial entities come on board as partners then the Olympic ideal goes out the window.

No its not possible because of what the Olympics has become, i would argue however bringing politics into sports might actually achieve good though, like fighting racism, homophobia etc.

Look at Marcus Rashford are you suggesting he shouldn't have stood up for children who weren't going to get fed due to schools being shut down during the pandemic?

The only reason he was able to do so was due to his massive platform he had from being a football player for one of the biggest clubs in the world, like it or not that's politics in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Christy42 wrote: »
    Why are Hungary complaining if it will achieve nothing? You would think they would be happy to let others get distracted by meaningless gestures and get on with it.

No Idea. You'd have to ask them that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Sadlier and Duff agreeing that UEFA are devoid of principles.

How is it anything to do with UEFA to pressure countries to amend their laws? They are a sporting body.

How about the principle that apolitical organisations are not vehicles for political crusades but have their own goals and interests.

growleaves wrote: »
    How is it anything to do with UEFA to pressure countries to amend their laws? They are a sporting body.

How about the principle that apolitical organisations are not vehicles for political crusades but have their own goals and interests.

Nobody was asking Uefa to pressure Hungary to do anything.

UEFA the apolitical body that changes its logo to be a rainbow for June.....

Calling the likes of UEFA, Fifa the IOC et al apolitical is absurd.

I've already posted links multiple times on how UEFA literally formed an organisation around human rights including LGBT rights.... On top of that, it's pretty fair to say human rights should be beyond traditional politics.

If I'm to be honest, I think there's a legitimate case to prevent countries from participating in tournaments if they're flouting laws around basic human rights. In 1961, South Africa were suspended from both UEFA and FIFA tournaments, by your logic they should have kept out of it... If they claim to stand for human rights, then they should.

No its not possible because of what the Olympics has become, i would argue however bringing politics into sports might actually achieve good though, like fighting racism, homophobia etc.

I suspect you'd feel less comfortable about countries like Russia, Belarus, Hungary, Syria, China (and plenty more) using high-profile sporting events to brandish their flavour of politics. If so, we'd be in agreement.

If politics is allowed to flourish in sport, there are two options I can see. Either hosting countries are allowed to do whatever they want, or else there's a worldwide enforcement of supporting only current Western-European values. Either way, up until 2018 we might have had the Aviva draped in banners stating "All Human Life is Precious". Or "Thou shall not blaspheme" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jaysus I remember and it wasn't so long ago we used to concentrate on the actual sport.
    And for the Euros and WCs we used to have thread with all the lovely ladies and latteraly the lovely lads.

Now it is a fooking continous whine about using the damn matches to make a point.
    That would be fine but it is fecking window dressing, a lot of the players no doubt couldn't give a fook, neither could the fans and the authorities, the sponsors are just interested in the bottom line and which way makes more money for them.

Some people claimed the stadium would have massive number of fans carrying rainbow flags to make a point, but really what I saw was massive number of German flags. i.e. the fans couldn't care.

I guess the fans just wanted to follow their team and not try make fooking points for people chomping on social media and trying to outdo themselves looking righteous.

Now the biggest discussion about the olympics is not about lack of fans travelling, it being a year late.
    No it is about fact women's sport is being turned into a fooking mockery by allowing trans athletes compete against them.

And the real laugh is half the fookers pushing all this sh** have never up to now had any interest in sport.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭archfi

jmayo wrote: »
    Jaysus I remember and it wasn't so long ago we used to concentrate on the actual sport.
    And for the Euros and WCs we used to have thread with all the lovely ladies and latteraly the lovely lads.

Now it is a fooking continous whine about using the damn matches to make a point.
    That would be fine but it is fecking window dressing, a lot of the players no doubt couldn't give a fook, neither could the fans and the authorities, the sponsors are just interested in the bottom line and which way makes more money for them.

Some people claimed the stadium would have massive number of fans carrying rainbow flags to make a point, but really what I saw was massive number of German flags.

I guess the fans just wanted to follow their team and not try make fooking points for people chomping on social media and trying to outdo themselves looking righteous.

Now the biggest discussion about the olympics is not about lack of fans travelling, it being a year late.
    No it is about fact women's sport is being turned into a fooking mockery by allowing trans athletes compete against them.

And the real laugh is half the fookers pushing all this sh** have never up to now had any interest in sport.

The arguments are absolutely laughable.
    These awful, awful righteous, patronising awful people will ruin sport much more than the corrupt governing bodies.
    Want to see direct action with popular support in football - Kick It Out, Respect and the 48 hour demise of the billionaire backed ESL.
    The support for this political interference instance is not there becuse most well adjusted people realise sport should be free from this - and no, no-one with a fucntioning brain would seriously equate RTE one side only coverage (it's not even what could be termed coverage)/social media/Richie fcking Sadlier with 'majority' support in any way whatsoever.

Anyhow, looking forward to the games from Saturday onwards, everything else political can just bog off.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Its not about with us or against us, its if you actively stand in the way of people making a statement about wrongs being committed then you are against those people.

That's 100% "you're with us or against us".

Even in your own framing of the issue you've put it explicitly in those terms so I don't see why you've taken against the statement. Its absolutely what you are demanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Jesus the amount of crying about lighting up a stadium in the colours of a rainbow. Just think about how inconsequential it is to your life and get a grip.

So what I'm hearing after all this is there's no politics in football therefore we shouldn't be kicking racism out of football? And poor kids in the UK should have gone without food so some deluded people could keep believing "their game" is pure and apolitical while ignoring all the obvious reasons its not and hasn't been for a long time.

God there's a loud echo in these football circles.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Should Hungary leave NATO?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

So what I'm hearing after all this is there's no politics in football therefore we shouldn't be kicking racism out of football? And poor kids in the UK should have gone without food so some deluded people could keep believing "their game" is pure and apolitical while ignoring all the obvious reasons its not and hasn't been for a long time.

God there's a loud echo in these football circles.....

Sports and politics go hand in hand since the time of the gladiators.

The problem is only certain social media friendly and financially beneficial political statements are allowed to be made, you can accuse Hungarians of being homophobes but not Saudis.

You can take a knee to make an assertion of a worldwide racist conspiracy against blacks but Don't mention Uighirs, Palestine, Anti-Irish sentiment, targeted rape of White girls in England, Armenian Genocide, Islamic Extremism, FGM, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Faugheen wrote: »
    Because they're all about inclusion and putting the rainbow on their emblem but when it comes to showing they support the values they claim to hold they went running away

They then came out with a statement of 'it's not political, but it was political here, but we're not political'.

All over the shop.

Yes but....Inclusiveness doesn’t happen by flying flags and hijacking aspects of sports events.... I could fly flags out my windows, doors, dangling from the handlebars of my bike...365 days a year...

If a venue, doesn’t fly this flag, are they not inclusive? Whom has decided that the barometer of inclusivity is adorning stadia with these flags ?

My cousin is gay, i doubt she feels excluded by virtue of the fact I don’t have a rainbow flag in my living room when she visits... she’s not a big sports fan but I doubt she’d need a psychologist if she ended up at the Aviva without a rainbowflag or two dangling off the gaff..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Christy42

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Sports and politics go hand in hand since the time of the gladiators.

The problem is only certain social media friendly and financially beneficial political statements are allowed to be made, you can accuse Hungarians of being homophobes but not Saudis.

You can take a knee to make an assertion of a worldwide racist conspiracy against blacks but Don't mention Uighirs, Palestine, Anti-Irish sentiment, targeted rape of White girls in England, Armenian Genocide, Islamic Extremism, FGM, etc...

I support our troops was one of the "allowable" statements for the Superbowl mvp at the start of the latest Iraq war. Given its controversy at the time it would have been political and against Islamic Extremism (mistargeted a bit as history showed but it was partially a response to 9/11).

You can accuse the Saudis of being homophobes. Indeed the Saudi government seem proud of their abuses. Hungary seems to deny the fact they are also homophobic (to a lesser degree but someone hitting others over the head with bottles is still a violent person even without being as violent as a mass murderer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

John Doe1 wrote: »

how are saudi arabia getting on in the euros?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Apolitical?

UEFA threatened England that they would lose the final of the Euros if they didn't let 2,500 UEFA VIPs fly into the country to attend the game.

Where did UEFA threaten to move the final to? Budapest.

Don't come in here and say UEFA is apolitical. They're apolitical when it suits them and, for whatever reason, they seem to bow to the pressure of countries like Hungary despite the fact they have f*ck-all standing in the football world.

Apolitical my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Faugheen wrote: »
    Don't come in here and say UEFA is apolitical. They're apolitical when it suits them and, for whatever reason, they seem to bow to the pressure of countries like Hungary despite the fact they have f*ck-all standing in the football world.

Apolitical my arse.

Come on now they’re only the greatest team never to win it -

csm_dbaudio-application-puskas-arena-20200722-01_0ab4d409f9.jpg

the WC that is but a beautiful stadium, maybe the finest in Europe Berlin aside what’s the big issue? Country steeped in footballing tradition; incredible atmosphere what more do you want??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Come on now they’re only the greatest team never to win it -

csm_dbaudio-application-puskas-arena-20200722-01_0ab4d409f9.jpg

the WC that is but a beautiful stadium, maybe the finest in Europe Berlin aside what’s the big issue? Country steeped in footballing tradition; incredible atmosphere what more do you want??

A rainbow flag!

Advertisement