Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UEFA refuse to sanction illuminating Munich Stadium in rainbow colours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Fandymo wrote: »
    The German FA didn’t make the request.
    Nope, it came from a politician trying to make a name for themselves, precisley as warned would happen on the 'kneeling' thread. Only a matter of time before the populist right start pushing for this stuff in the official matchday and all hell breaks loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0622/1229644-uefa-block-rainbow-illumination-at-munich-stadium/

I think this is correct. I have always been of the view that politics and sport should be kept entirely separate regardless of the issue at hand.

What do you think?

yeh i agree with UEFA's decision. The Pride flag does not represent me. its certainly not all inclusive when it comes to wider society. politics has no place in sport, unfotunately there is an agenda to politicise everything these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why do we have to have this pride sh1t rammed down our throats all the f*cking time ??? !!!
    We get it, gay rights, I even voted yes in 2015, but just f*ck off with wanting this stupid flag EVERYWHERE all the f*cking time!!!

Get over yourselves !!, no one cares what you do with your genitals - really

Based on the laws just passed in Hungary the part in bold just clearly isn't true.

I think UEFA are right here as it was clearly going to be used as a form of protest against Hungary.
    If germany wanted to display it at every game then they probably would have been allowed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Politics has regularly intertwined itself with sport. You only have to look back at the South African boycott of the 70's and 80's to see a precedent for countries being called out. Of course, there are plenty of less edifying incidents, such as the 1980 and 1984 retaliatory Olympic boycotts. So I guess the question is less should these kinds of protests ever happen and more about whether it is motivated by genuine principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Nozebleed wrote: »
    The Pride flag does not represent me. its certainly not all inclusive when it comes to wider society.

if thats your problem with it then you need to grow up a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't understand why the mayor of Munich asked for permission from UEFA to do this, surely he can't have expected them to say yes given that they made a fuss over Neuer's armband? Why didn't he just fire ahead anyway, easier to seek forgiveness afterwards than permission beforehand and all that. It's not as if the game wouldn't go ahead if the stadium was lit up like that, and you can't see the external lights once inside, so it's not like it would be on TV throughout the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't understand why the mayor of Munich asked for permission from UEFA to do this, surely he can't have expected them to say yes given that they made a fuss over Neuer's armband? Why didn't he just fire ahead anyway, easier to seek forgiveness afterwards than permission beforehand and all that. It's not as if the game wouldn't go ahead if the stadium was lit up like that, and you can't see the external lights once inside, so it's not like it would be on TV throughout the match.

Because he has literally no say in what happens at a UEFA stadium during a tournament. Or the Bayern Stadium during a bundesliga game. He’s basically Hazel Chu with a German accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

if thats your problem with it then you need to grow up a bit

sorry that my heterosexuality is a problem for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Nozebleed wrote: »
    sorry that my heterosexuality is a problem for you guys.

it isnt a problem, but then again i dont have any problems with others expressing their sexuality, especially one that tends to not get treated too well by certain sports

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Sounds like they have a Herr Hazel Chu as mayor there too trying to drum up some media attention for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Unusual to see the rules being applied to our modern sacred cow

But then UEFA will be having soccerball competitions in stadiums built by slaves soon and the Hazel Choo Choo crew won't be looking for special lights then.

If UEFA acceded to every tinpot politician in Europe who wanted to shove their pet cause into the matchday there would be murder.

The homosexuality issue in the likes of Hungary & Russia is already framed as a human rights issue, except from the other direction - 'Protect our children from this poison' etc, whats to stop them now injecting that into matchday under the same 'human rights' argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Bambi wrote: »
    Unusual to see the rules being applied to our modern sacred cow

But then UEFA will be having soccerball competitions in stadiums built by slaves soon and the Hazel Choo Choo crew won't be looking for special lights then.

I think you have mixed up FIFA with UEFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Contrary to what we are sold, the public can bring about change. When governments don't go far enough, people step up. That's in part why we've BLM and Pride. Musicians played a major role in ending Apartheid in S. Africa with raising public awareness. Public pressure and protest has changed the world, brought down the Berlin wall, given women the vote. There are people who have no interest in the news never mind foreign news. If people are being arrested, tortured and generally treated as less than because of their sexual orientation, it's the duty of decent people to speak up on their behalf. If the Hungarian government are angered or embarrassed, good.

conorhal wrote: »
    Sounds like they have a Herr Hazel Chu as mayor there too trying to drum up some media attention for themselves.

Damn that mayor and their irresponsible highlighting of human rights issues.. The fact it doesn't get lit up doesn't matter as they've now drawn attention to a serious human rights issue. UEFA don't come out of it great though.

In great news, Germany is gonna go all out and rainbow up the country. This includes multiple team stadiums in Germany that will be doing it.

https://www.the42.ie/uefa-rainbow-colours-germany-hungary-5473546-Jun2021/

I believe a fair few posters in this thread have a tendency to praise Hungary's government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Cordell wrote: »
    Should we allow the disrespecting of the anthem by supporting a highly divisive organization while anthems are played? Sure, go ahead.
    Should we allow supporting of real discrimination by doing something that doesn't interfere with what happens on the pitch in any way? No, it's a political situation.

F off UEFA, bunch of crooks anyway.

In what way are UEFA allowing anthems to be disrespected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Why do we have to have this pride sh1t rammed down our throats all the f*cking time ??? !!!
    We get it, gay rights, I even voted yes in 2015, but just f*ck off with wanting this stupid flag EVERYWHERE all the f*cking time!!!

Get over yourselves !!, no one cares what you do with your genitals - really

You're going to thrilled next week.

Government departments / offices have been issued with a rainbow flag to be flown between the 26th and 28th of June in solidarity with.... yadda.....yadda....yadda...

I'd agree with you that it becomes tiresome. Frankly, everybody knows a few gay people and basically most people don't give a flyers about the sexuality of their friends.Even some gay friends of mine that I was talking to this week (1 male, 1 female) are sick of it.

You're going to thrilled next week.

Government departments / offices have been issued with a rainbow flag to be flown between the 26th and 28th of June in solidarity with.... yadda.....yadda....yadda...

I'd agree with you that it becomes tiresome. Frankly, everybody knows a few gay people and basically most people don't give a flyers about the sexuality of their friends.Even some gay friends of mine that I was talking to this week (1 male, 1 female) are sick of it.

Ah yes, the classic citing of gay friends to make a point seem more legit... I think it's good to highlight human rights violations. Great that Germany views it to be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Happy enough with the UEFA decision.

Damn that mayor and their irresponsible highlighting of human rights issues.. The fact it doesn't get lit up doesn't matter as they've now drawn attention to a serious human rights issue. UEFA don't come out of it great though.

In great news, Germany is gonna go all out and rainbow up the country. This includes multiple team stadiums in Germany that will be doing it.

I believe a fair few posters in this thread have a tendency to praise Hungary's government.
    Great news and exactly where political protest belongs - outside the official matchday proceedings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I didn't realise equality is a political position.

Tens of millions of Chinese, Russians and Cambodians would disagree with you but, oh wait!, they're dead. Murdered deliberately or negligently in the quest for "equality".

So many people mistake "equality" for an inherent good - i.e. the more you have of it the better it is for everyone.

It's not. Its a necessary evil we sometimes have to inflict on society to protect the weakest. You know, like taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Christy42

I feel like the fact that a lot of the more hompohobic parts of the Hungarian constitution had to resign due to partaking in a gay orgy (and running around naked from police since it was breaking covid restrictions) should be highlighted more. It is the first thing I think of whenever I hear about the Hungarian government and their ability to take offense at colours and feel like more people should have it brought to mind that this is all based on hypocrites (as is a lot of homophobia)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Repo101

Ah yes, the classic citing of gay friends to make a point seem more legit... I think it's good to highlight human rights violations. Great that Germany views it to be important.

Germany does not view human rights as important. Germany won't be lobbying UEFA to make statements against the treatment of people in China. Hungary is a soft target and Germany is under increasing pressure internally and externally to stand up for human rights. This is a tokenistic gesture to the public to make it appear as if something is being done.

As usual, some people are only interested in style over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Of course the Germans will be making a stance against discrimination of gay people by not attending the next World Cup if they qualify.

Yeah thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'll be turning for the football and the football ONLY.

I, for one, don't give a rat's arse about the colours of the lights on the wall.

This is a completely unimportant and meaningless issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Maybe if I cited straight friends it might make it more valid ??? Please do tell and advise :rolleyes:

Point remains, most people don't give a fiddlers and more-so when it's in a foreign country. It's a bit like Hi-Viz jackets or Covid Masks. When something becomes 'everyday' then it loses its message.

BTW, it wasn't Germany per se. It was the Mayor of Munich came up with this one. Again, most people wouldn't have taken a blind bit of notice except that it was aimed directly at their opponents ruling parties. No such sounds coming from Germany though about human rights violations in Qatar. Maybe their €1.5 billion in yearly exports there has something to do with it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Of course the Germans will be making a stance against discrimination of gay people by not attending the next World Cup if they qualify.

Yeah thought not.

Why would they?

Kumejima wrote: »
    Tens of millions of Chinese, Russians and Cambodians would disagree with you but, oh wait!, they're dead. Murdered deliberately or negligently in the quest for "equality".

So many people mistake "equality" for an inherent good - i.e. the more you have of it the better it is for everyone.

It's not. Its a necessary evil we sometimes have to inflict on society to protect the weakest. You know, like taxes.

I don’t think he means that kind of equality. Class based equality is out. LGBT++++ is in. Doesn’t harm business.

What’s the issue with Hungary? Not wanting to teach certain parts of LGBT in school? They’ve legalised homosexuality for decades longer than Ireland. They have civil partnerships. This is vastly more progressive than most countries in the world. Start the rainbow lights with Hungary, what happens with Iran, all Muslim countries, most African countries, most countries in fact.

Do they all get lectured to? What about a protest for female rights in Iran, Saudi, and Afghanistan.

What about Qatar? Should Germany boycott the World Cup next year? If not why not?

Why would they?

Because Qatar is worse than Hungary. Much worse. If they don’t this is just performative nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Why would they?

Google gay people in Qatar and see what you come up with.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0224/1199075-kick-it-out-chief-slams-qatar-over-gay-rights/

Advertisement