Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UEFA refuse to sanction illuminating Munich Stadium in rainbow colours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Will the German fans (or other fans) bring the rainbow flag to the next world cup ? It's very safe to virtue signal from a safe space

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Nobody has seemed to mention the fact that Hungary hosted several games to accommodate Uefa in both Europa and Champions League games during the height of the Covid restrictions.

That definitely has something to do with Uefa's stance. Not one commentator or journalist has picked up on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    No, you're just doubling down.

You're trying to pretend I think gays are "abnormal".

You know exactly what my true meaning is, yet here you are, trying to cause trouble.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I’m not doubling down nor am I trying to pretend anything.

You’re saying people who don’t celebrate their sexuality are normal.

I’m saying as long as people go around saying what is or isn’t normal then Pride and other such campaigns are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Will the German fans (or other fans) bring the rainbow flag to the next world cup ? It's very safe to virtue signal from a safe space

They're doing it tonight, probably.

As for Qatar? Probably OK if they keep it in the fan zones Hungary doesn't give a **** about negative publicity, but Qatar does.

Question for you though; how do you define the difference between 'virtue signalling' and genuinely showing support?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭tjhook

If I'm watching a match, I'm not there to be lectured to about gay rights, human rights violations in China, death penalty in the USA, Isreal/Palestine or anything else. Even if I personally agree with the specific cause.

Let sporting occasions be focused on sport. There are plenty of other opportunities to shame and lecture those who hold views you dislike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As others have said, it would indeed be shockingly hypocritical for UEFA to take a pop at Hungary when many of their member countries will take part in the Qatari World Cup next year. The German FA have painted themselves into a corner now because there is not a chance they'll attempt a similar statement in Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Heraclius

tjhook wrote: »
    If I'm watching a match, I'm not there to be lectured to about gay rights, human rights violations in China, death penalty in the USA, Isreal/Palestine or anything else. Even if I personally agree with the specific cause.

Let sporting occasions be focused on sport. There are plenty of other opportunities to shame and lecture those who hold views you dislike.

So boycotting south Africa in the 80s was wrong by that logic? I think some governments can be highly sensitive to being shamed at large sporting events so it is a bit ridiculous to think they should be immune to campaigns against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dead on

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Heraclius

As others have said, it would indeed be shockingly hypocritical for UEFA to take a pop at Hungary when many of their member countries will take part in the Qatari World Cup next year. The German FA have painted themselves into a corner now because there is not a chance they'll attempt a similar statement in Qatar.

It does get very awkward doesn't it? Kneeling is ok but lighting the stadium isn't but hosting the World Cup in Qatar is grand. I think UEFA and FIFA just wish everyone would be quiet so they can get back to the thing they love most; making money...I mean football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's not the first time in this tournament that the Allianz arena is being used to stage a match, why wasn't the stadium lit up in the rainbow colours when Germany were playing France and Portugal, by choosing to do this when playing Hungary they made this a political issue, they probably knew this meant UEFA were always going to turn the request down and thus creating more publicity. Had they lit the stadium in the rainbow colours in the other games then it could be argued that it wasn't political and UEFA would have to let it go ahead, but, then we wouldn't have this media circus.
    I think football fans in particular are getting tire of the game being used as a political football, let the game go on without all these political sideshows as someone said earlier, people watch sport for enjoyment and to get away from life's stresses and strains including politics, we don't need to be lectured to, that doesn't mean we don't care or support these issues, just leave them aside during the games.

• Advertisement

Sadlier and Duff agreeing that UEFA are devoid of principles.
    https://twitter.com/GavanCasey/status/1407769923955400709?s=19
    Girly Gal wrote: »
    It's not the first time in this tournament that the Allianz arena is being used to stage a match, why wasn't the stadium lit up in the rainbow colours when Germany were playing France and Portugal, by choosing to do this when playing Hungary they made this a political issue, they probably knew this meant UEFA were always going to turn the request down and thus creating more publicity. Had they lit the stadium in the rainbow colours in the other games then it could be argued that it wasn't political and UEFA would have to let it go ahead, but, then we wouldn't have this media circus.
    I think football fans in particular are getting tire of the game being used as a political football, let the game go on without all these political sideshows as someone said earlier, people watch sport for enjoyment and to get away from life's stresses and strains including politics, we don't need to be lectured to, that doesn't mean we don't care or support these issues, just leave them aside during the games.

I would say it's a human rights issue. Based on the crowd and all the rainbow flags. I'd say people are siding with the mayor..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I wish all this rainbow colour stuff would stop.

Your sexuality means nothing.

It's not interesting.

You're not special because you're gay.

Please stop making your sexuality such a huge part of your identity.

Please start being normal and just get on with your life.

It would be utterly boring and absurd if I made being heterosexual a defining part of my character, wanted to have parades about it, wanted to have a day dedicated to my sexuality, wanted to hang a flag out my window in dedication of my sexuality.

When is society going to grow up and stop with all this pandering to attention seekers?

It’s a month now that the big corporations are on board. Pride month.

Faugheen wrote: »
    UEFA released a statement with the rainbow colours acting as background to its emblem.

Politics and football mix all the time. It's just picked and chosen which 'politics' to clamp down on.

If I were the Mayor of Munich I'd have the ground lit up anyway. What are UEFA going to do?

Have him arrested for trespassing. UEFA rent and control the stadia for the duration of the tournament.

I would say it's a human rights issue. Based on the crowd and all the rainbow flags. I'd say people are siding with the mayor..

Our FM was doing a tour of countries that have no human rights with no back lash. No media cared to report that

Hungary 1 up against Germany now. Knocking them out if it stays like this. The karma would be delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,443 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Politics and international sport are intertwined. Delusional to think otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭tjhook

Heraclius wrote: »
    So boycotting south Africa in the 80s was wrong by that logic? I think some governments can be highly sensitive to being shamed at large sporting events so it is a bit ridiculous to think they should be immune to campaigns against them.

No, I'd support anybody's decision to avoid watching such a competition, or playing in such a competition. If you do that, you're making a statement without impinging on others' enjoyment. They are free to watch or play without having any particular cause pushed into their faces.

If this rainbow-themed proposal was accepted, it'd be difficult to object to countries like Hungary draping their stadium in banners proclaiming the mirror opposite message. Either a host country can use an international match to promote their values, or they can't.

Personally, I'd prefer if they all kept out of it and let it be about the football.

They're doing it tonight, probably.

As for Qatar? Probably OK if they keep it in the fan zones Hungary doesn't give a **** about negative publicity, but Qatar does.

Question for you though; how do you define the difference between 'virtue signalling' and genuinely showing support?

Won't be killed in Hungary. Good chance you will be killed or imprisoned in Qatar, Iran, Saudia Arabia, Iraq. Virtue signal in one of these countries and you WILL die or go to jail.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Fandymo wrote: »
    Have him arrested for trespassing. UEFA rent and control the stadia for the duration of the tournament.

Oh that would look mighty at a time they say their core values include open-ness and inclusion.

What UEFA did was political. They’ll let Hungarian fans pack the stadium where they’re heard chanting homophobic sh*te and won’t do f*ck all about it.

Fact is football has always been slow to change anything. There is a reason why there are no openly gay footballers playing in the top leagues and it’s because the authorities in the game will pander to the idiots instead of actually trying to protect those players.

What Damien Duff said above is spot on. The Slavia Prague player who racially abused Glen Kamara got a 10 game ban, when people who test positive for drugs get two years, and Rio Ferdinand got 8 months for missing a drugs test. 10 games is a joke and you can guarantee if a gay footballer got homophobic abuse from another player, then it would only be a few games as well.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Oh that would look mighty at a time they say their core values include open-ness and inclusion.

What UEFA did was political. They’ll let Hungarian fans pack the stadium where they’re heard chanting homophobic sh*te and won’t do f*ck all about it.

Fact is football has always been slow to change anything. There is a reason why there are no openly gay footballers playing in the top leagues and it’s because the authorities in the game will pander to the idiots instead of actually trying to protect those players.

What Damien Duff said above is spot on. The Slavia Prague player who racially abused Glen Kamara got a 10 game ban, when people who test positive for drugs get two years, and Rio Ferdinand got 8 months for missing a drugs test. 10 games is a joke and you can guarantee if a gay footballer got homophobic abuse from another player, then it would only be a few games as well.

There was a ticket ballot. More than Hungarians were able to buy tickets for the games. I’m not sure you have any idea about how tournaments work.

The Slavia player who allegedly racially abused Glen Kamara. There was literally no evidence. No one else heard the alleged slur. Was farcical to ban the Czech player. One persons word against another’s. Meanwhile a few weeks later, Kamara is literally caught on camera singing anti-Catholic slurs (Fcuk the Pope) and it’s all grand, no ban, no sanction, no worries.

Edit: Ronaldo has scored again, half the “Hungarians” in the stadium are quite sallow and seem delighted for Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“ tied themselves in knots “ says Sadlier, an absolute eejit...Hardly, it’s a concise, short and to the point statement is what it is, dealing with fact. I wonder how it is “tying themselves in knots”..absolute lazy agenda filled crap. Let people enjoy sport without fûckers trying to hijack it to publicize causes...

Strumms wrote: »
    “ tied themselves in knots “ says Sadlier, an absolute eejit...Hardly, it’s a concise, short and to the point statement is what it is, dealing with fact. I wonder how it is “tying themselves in knots”..absolute lazy agenda filled crap. Let people enjoy sport without fûckers trying to hijack it to publicize causes...
    Except UEFA literally have plenty of content about how they're pro LGBT rights and even emphasised it this evening but in this case they don't want to upset a country for their homophobic policies.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because they're all about inclusion and putting the rainbow on their emblem but when it comes to showing they support the values they claim to hold they went running away

They then came out with a statement of 'it's not political, but it was political here, but we're not political'.

All over the shop.

Except UEFA literally have plenty of content about how they're pro LGBT rights and even emphasised it this evening but in this case they don't want to upset a country for their homophobic policies.

It's almost as if large organisations and corporations don't actually give a bollox about LGBT and just go through the motions of draping themselves in the rainbow flag every June because it ticks the social justice box.

It's almost as if large organisations and corporations don't actually give a bollox about LGBT and just go through the motions of draping themselves in the rainbow flag every June because it ticks the social justice box.
    I never disputed that fact tbh. But it's pretty much bs to claim as posters are that apolitical means you can entirely ignore human rights when it suits.

I never disputed that fact tbh. But it's pretty much bs to claim as posters are that apolitical means you can entirely ignore human rights when it suits.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

Next year's world cup is in Qatar. Football is for everyone, not just for people with the same values as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

Great night of football.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

Next year's world cup is in Qatar. Football is for everyone, not just for people with the same values as you.
    I'm also perfectly aware of this and think it's an absolute disgrace that it's being held there. I actually think in general, people should hold the organisations to account. So ya, don't host events in locations where people are actively dying building stadiums. You seem to think you're making some got'cha point when I imagine most of the people who oppose Hungary's human rights record are pretty much the same on Qatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Career wise its sensible for duff and sadler to back the mayor of Munich

• Advertisement

I'm also perfectly aware of this and think it's an absolute disgrace that it's being held there. I actually think in general, people should hold the organisations to account. So ya, don't host events in locations where people are actively dying building stadiums. You seem to think you're making some got'cha point when I imagine most of the people who oppose Hungary's human rights record are pretty much the same on Qatar.

Do you think any attempt will be made to shame Qatar's position on LGBT during any of the matches?

Advertisement