Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Naas Canal and harbour

• 22-06-2021 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭

Just out for a walk along it the other day and there are a couple of derelict boats on it but no obvious signs of use. There are two reed-clearing boats on it,near the harbour end. Is it open to traffic or is it even under any care from Waterways Ireland? Shame to see the whole length of it unused.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Just out for a walk along it the other day and there are a couple of derelict boats on it but no obvious signs of use. There are two reed-clearing boats on it,near the harbour end. Is it open to traffic or is it even under any care from Waterways Ireland? Shame to see the whole length of it unused.

It's in use and under the remit of WI.

I've only been up it once as my wife is from Naas, despite being advised otherwise. I had a debate along the way with a woman telling me not to bother as the locks didn't work?? That she'd lived there 20+ years and never seen them being used.

Got to the harbour in broad daylight on a Saturday. Not there 30 minutes and the boat was attacked, with us onboard, by a gang of 5/6 scum bags. Not kids either but young adults. They climbed all over the boat trying to get in the doors to the cabin either end, with my 6 month old child and wife inside. They ran when they found out the hard way that mooring pins have more than one use.

There was cctv but Gardai (at the time) didn't have immediate access to the footage and would have to put in a request to the council Monday morning. Never heard anything back.

I have been on most of the Shannon and all along the Grand and Barrow system, including the notorious antisocial hotspots of Athy, Clondalkin, and Dublin city center with out any real trouble apart from a thrown beer can or stone.

Why would a boater (on their own) want to go up 5? locks to a harbour where there is a strong chance of trouble?

Before covid the Kildare branch of the IWAI used to hold their October rally in the harbour, but a boat on it's own will attract trouble there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Walked much of it yesterday and saw the same two derelict boats (always very depressing to see a waste like that). A group of local lads swimming at one of the locks. But it stuck me as a huge waste of potential for liveaboards when there's a strong demand for them. Undoubtedly down entirely to anti-social behaviour and that's a massive black mark against Naas and the local people there. It would be great to see a liveaboard and leisure scene along this branch of the canal.

Advertisement