Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to cut UK TV and film content after brexit?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We could do with more content on our TVs from the other 26 members, things like travel programmes, cooking, or anything interesting.
    We get too little content from other member states.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

RobertKK wrote: »
    We could do with more content on our TVs from the other 26 members, things like travel programmes, cooking, or anything interesting.
    We get too little content from other member states.

A bit more exposure to foreign language stuff would be helpful for school kids as well.

I never saw the benefit in foreign languages when I was young. Didn't realise it until too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

This is exactly what Netflix needs, more stupid Scandinavian crime dramas that I won't watch and that my subscription is going to pay for.

Local produced content quotas have applied for decades in Ireland. RTE won’t replace a popular show regardless of where it’s from, but something less popular that doesn’t contribute to the local quota would get the chop. That wouldn’t be an EU thing btw, it’s a purely Irish thing.

Go look at what the french do in this regard, they are very proactive in protecting their arts.

I can understand a state broadcaster doing this. it is up to them what they broadcast and if they want to show nothing but Irish produced TV, then that is up to them, but simple rules of supply and demand would prevent them doing this and mean they have to show Coronation Street and Friends

How does this work with something like Sky though? do 65% of the TV programmes have to be produced in the EU? or is it channel by channel. That then begs the question, how do the Indian channels manage to show only Indian produced television and channels like Discovery seem to show nothing but US made TV.

Then there's the Disney streaming service, do they have anything that isn't produced in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Aegir wrote: »

How does this work with something like Sky though? do 65% of the TV programmes have to be produced in the EU? or is it channel by channel. That then begs the question, how do the Indian channels manage to show only Indian produced television and channels like Discovery seem to show nothing but US made TV.

Then there's the Disney streaming service, do they have anything that isn't produced in the US?

All reasonable questions. I can't help you re the Indian channels but the answer for Disney is Yes, they are going to produce enough content in the EU/Europe to satisfy these regulations.

'The announcement is in-line with new streaming regulations which the EU placed on on demand services. Since 2018, the likes of Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime must now adhere to strict rules if they wish to continue to be available in Europe. At least 30% of their content must be European.'

https://entertainment.ie/tv/on-demand-news/disney-europe-star-originals-474778/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

They are filming a new Disney Plus film here in Ireland right now. I am sure they have other stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There was a bunch of Disney stuff made in the UK as the UK brought out similar protectionist laws decades ago. A lot of the Live action stuff from the 60s and 70s was made in the UK, but at some point after that the UK became less important of a market and couldn't throw it's weight around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Interesting but not surprising, they just seem to be enforcing the rules of brexit.

It will shrink the UK industry to fit its own market and if they want to expand into other markets put a charge on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Will this affect BBC or Channel 4 sales overseas ?

That would give the the UK Government more leverage over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really hope this does not effect Channal 4 stations or the BBCs I like watching all them stations. There is some good and interesting shows on them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A bit more exposure to foreign language stuff would be helpful for school kids as well.

I never saw the benefit in foreign languages when I was young. Didn't realise it until too late.

The thing is the Brits make high quality TV (or at least they did) and a lot of it.

Continental Europe makes inferior TV.

Sure, shows like Doc McStuffins is Irish and PJ masks is French. Hours of content to bulk out the numbers.

I do wonder how it will work for Sky selling subscriptions here though.
    There might be an opportunity for Ireland to pitch for EU 'British' productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Bambi wrote: »
    The thing is the Brits make high quality TV (or at least they did) and a lot of it.

Continental Europe makes inferior TV.

Have to agree here. Not sure why the continentals can't get it together with good tv. Lack of talent? Surely not? Not enough money? Cultural differences which makes it seem crap to an English speaking audience?
    I have seen some series that start well and then lose it.
    Last good non English series I saw that was very good was the Spanish series "Antidisturbios" (Riot Police). Pretty good stuff. But I have seen so much muck from France, Italy, Spain etc. (Gomorrah was good, still have to finish that series).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Granadino wrote: »
    Have to agree here. Not sure why the continentals can't get it together with good tv. Lack of talent? Surely not? Not enough money? Cultural differences which makes it seem crap to an English speaking audience?
    Last good non English series I saw that was very good was the Spanish series "Antidisturbios" (Riot Police). Pretty good stuff. But I have seen so much muck from France, Italy, Spain etc. (Gomorrah was good, still have to finish that series).

tbh you'd think the scandi thing would have kickstarted something but I reckon the Europeans never saw TV as a serious medium in the way the Brits did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh right so the EU control what we watch. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

AllForIt wrote: »
    Oh right so the EU control what we watch. Interesting.

Yes like they already do and always have done for things made outside the EU......

Granadino wrote: »

in fairness, that French WWII thing from the 80s/90s was pretty good.

The one about the French resistance and a painting with big boobies.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Will this affect BBC or Channel 4 sales overseas ?

That would give the the UK Government more leverage over them.

Perhaps I think it comes down to classification of European made and potential reach of content. It's like there a percentage they have that needs to meet European made classification.

Wonder how it impacts us as we get allot of tv from the UK. Like would other European countries consume whole stations like we do or just purchase of programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No Bo Jo show?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ted1 wrote: »
    “The legend of Dinny” , a Glenroe origins story

Better Call Fr. Devereux

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
Advertisement