Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Stations That Have Simulcast TV Programmes

• 22-06-2021 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'll start off this topic with BBC Radio 1 in the UK. From 1988 to 1992 BBC1's Top Of The Pops was simulcast Thursdays at 7pm and then between 1994 and 1997 The National Lottery on Saturdays at 8pm for the draw. I don't know if any Irish stations have ever done this though with RTÉ, TG3 or TV4.

Comments

I suppose the big racing events: the Derby/Oaks/ both Guineas. Various events at Galway, especially during Drivetime/ Ray'Darcy. Cheltenham, of course. Lots of sport in general.

The All Ireland finals, of course, but that isn't quite a simulcast (different commentary) except for the action. Racing often is, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

2fm used to simulcast the beat box on Sunday mornings with network 2

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Didn't Off The Ball do the Newsround on Setanta back in the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

2fm used to simulcast the beat box on Sunday mornings with network 2

2TV on Sundays with Dave Fanning (which replaced The Beatbox in around 1996) also was simulcast with 2FM as far as I remember.

Also The Bank Holiday video request show/Hotline with Ian Dempsey or Barry Lang (which in early days came from the 2FM radio studio - very exciting for Anoraks as when a music video was not available, the vinyl record of a song would be played and the TV camera would remain capturing Ian or Barry in the studio).

Over the years 2FM simulcasted pre-recorded music video programmes such as Larry's Golden Hour, Rock Sundown.

MT USA on RTE 2 TV was also simulcast on Radio 2 with the late Vincent Hanley. And while we are talking MT USA, I get really annoyed when people who should know better in articles / interviews refer to RTE's "MT USA" as "MTV".

Can I also mention that the Aertel (RTE's teletext service) pages at the end of Network 2 TV used to simulcast 2FM audio in the 90s;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

Dont know if Tunein counts but theres a CNN radio station on it that plays their tv coverage. I'm interested in US politics so it came in handy with the time differences, listening in bed,for the election and captial hill riots coverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

One Bank Holiday Monday in the 80's, Pat Kenny's mid morning show was aired live on TV, with the songs playing out on video for the TV simulcast. No idea what the rationale was behind same or if it was done more than once; sure I wasn't even an anorak back then :pac:

One Bank Holiday Monday in the 80's, Pat Kenny's mid morning show was aired live on TV, with the songs playing out on video for the TV simulcast. No idea what the rationale was behind same or if it was done more than once; sure I wasn't even an anorak back then :pac:

Interesting.
    Sounds like Video Request / Hotline show to me..as mentioned earlier. Jimmy Greeley did some of these simulcasts also in the mid 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Dublin City Channel used to broadcast Adrian Kennedy's phone show on FM104. I think it may have done other programmes, possibly from other stations too.

RTE News Now does a simulcast of RTE Radio 1's Morning Ireland every morning. It also does something similar for The Late Debate. I'm pretty sure it does the same for some other current affairs and politics programmes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Ah the beatbox, getting every radio in the house around your armchair, and even using the auld lads "hi-fi" (some cheapo hinari 3 in 1) trying to replicate the experience of "surround sound"....good times!!

Also remember the 2fm newsreaders looking petrified at the notion of being on TV while reading the news. Eamonn Falvey and Anthony Murnane some to mind here.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Ah the beatbox, getting every radio in the house around your armchair, and even using the auld lads "hi-fi" (some cheapo hinari 3 in 1) trying to replicate the experience of "surround sound"....good times!!

Also remember the 2fm newsreaders looking petrified at the notion of being on TV while reading the news. Eamonn Falvey and Anthony Murnane some to mind here.

Barry Lang started The Beat Box in around 1989, then Peter Collins & Simon Young for a year maybe 1990, Ian Dempsey then took over in around 1992.

Other contributors to the Beat Box along the way were:
    Smiley Bolger (I think Stevie Bolger's brother ex-Sunshine 106.8) - Irish music news and promoting new bands releases.
    Mike Ryan (Gerry's brother) - General music news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Barry Lang started The Beat Box in around 1989, then Peter Collins & Simon Young for a year maybe 1990, Ian Dempsey then took over in around 1992.

Other contributors to the Beat Box along the way were:
    Smiley Bolger (I think Stevie Bolger's brother ex-Sunshine 106.8) - Irish music news and promoting new bands releases.
    Mike Ryan (Gerry's brother) - General music news.

What year did it switch to being 2tv with Dave Fanning? I also have very vague memories of No Disco with Donal Dineen being in this timeslot on Sundays during the summer, I don't think this was simulcast tho.

RINO87 wrote: »
    What year did it switch to being 2tv with Dave Fanning? I also have very vague memories of No Disco with Donal Dineen being in this timeslot on Sundays during the summer, I don't think this was simulcast tho.

There may have been a period for a year (1995 / 96?) between the Beat Box finishing and 2TV starting, where there was no live simulcast type programme - so perhaps No Disco was repeated in that slot on TV only (it was usually on Thursday nights).

This period is not clear to me, as I was starting to be more interested in watching MTV / VH-1 on satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TheBMG

The Paddy’s Festival Skyfest was simulcast on 98FM as well as RTE TV back in the ancient times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I remember Fanning taking over around the mid-1990's when it became 2TV. There was a big hullabaloo about it as Fanning deemed himself "too cool / edgy" to be playing mainstream generic crap music videos... so I guess the name change to 2TV was part of an attempt to freshen the image up. But from what I can recall the music playlist was much the same vain as its Beatbox predecessor.

I remember a funny incident where Boyzone, who were big at the time, were due on as guests and in advance, Dave muttered inadvertently into a live mic something like "Ronan has more talent in his big toe than the other 4 put together"... :pac:

As others have said, it was a real novelty at the time for a TV show to be simulcast on radio. Most TV's in those days were crappy small CRT's with a mono speaker, so you could get big stereo surround sound with your parent's old HiFi! The whole idea became very obsolete with the advent of satellite, decent televisions, surround sound, etc... Actually I'd say it would be difficult to achieve a proper simulcast these days with Satellite TV and FM radio, as there would definitely be audio / lip sync delays now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

RTE News Now does a simulcast of RTE Radio 1's Morning Ireland every morning. It also does something similar for The Late Debate. I'm pretty sure it does the same for some other current affairs and politics programmes too.

They are more a webcam in the studio corner job than an actual bonafide television grade broadcast a la Beatbox etc.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Actually I'd say it would be difficult to achieve a proper simulcast these days with Satellite TV and FM radio, as there would definitely be audio / lip sync delays now.

True. Anytime I tried the FM radio and Analogue TV it was 'bang on' sync in the early - mid 90s.
    I guess these were big achievements in the tech departments of RTE back in the mid 80s when they started.

Advertisement