Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband recommendations

Options
  • 23-06-2021 9:52am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭

I'll be moving house soon and where I am moving to won't have Siro for a few months.

So I need some sort of mobile broadband to support working from home and family streaming.
    Looking at usage we are averaging about 1GB a month

So from what I can see Vodafone might be the best @45 per month and the place has good vodafone coverage.

Just wondering if there are other options that are worth considering..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I'll be moving house soon and where I am moving to won't have Siro for a few months.

So I need some sort of mobile broadband to support working from home and family streaming.
    Looking at usage we are averaging about 1GB a month

So from what I can see Vodafone might be the best @45 per month and the place has good vodafone coverage.

Just wondering if there are other options that are worth considering..?
    Are you sure that's not 1TB?
    1GB wouldn't last an hour on Netflix.

Although Vodafone's mobile broadband is "unlimited", it does have an unspecified fair usage policy in place. By way of example, both Three's and Eir's "unlimited" mobile broadband plans are capped at 750GB.

Is there any other operator available in the area, preferably fixed line, that can offer reasonable speeds to you? Mobile broadband would tend to be the least reliable as it could be fantastic this week then take a nosedrive the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

KildareP wrote: »

Although Vodafone's mobile broadband is "unlimited", it does have an unspecified fair usage policy in place. By way of example, both Three's and Eir's "unlimited" mobile broadband plans are capped at 750GB.

Is there any other operator available in the area, preferably fixed line, that can offer reasonable speeds to you? Mobile broadband would tend to be the least reliable as it could be fantastic this week then take a nosedrive the next.

Pretty sure they mean 1Gbps and not that the allowance would be 1GB per month. Never heard of an unspecified FUP before, what’s your basis for that? Pretty sure if there is one they have to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

xebec wrote: »
    Pretty sure they mean 1Gbps and not that the allowance would be 1GB per month. Never heard of an unspecified FUP before, what’s your basis for that? Pretty sure if there is one they have to tell you.

Averaging 1Gbps a month makes no sense so I still suspect it was a typo and should have been 1TB.

The unspecified FUP is in the T&Cs on Vodafone's website.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yep, typo on my part :o , 1TB per month
    I did look at the Vodafone website and it said no cap, but getting details on the FUP would be helpful.

I've contacted a few operators and the fixed line is copper, max 15GB but that's shared. I've also talked to neighbors and they have mobile or satellite broadband as fixed line had too much contention.

I did a speedtest on my phone there yesterday and getting 75 Mbps download which I'd be very happy with..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yep, typo on my part :o , 1TB per month
    I did look at the Vodafone website and it said no cap, but getting details on the FUP would be helpful.

I've contacted a few operators and the fixed line is copper, max 15GB but that's shared. I've also talked to neighbors and they have mobile or satellite broadband as fixed line had too much contention.

I did a speedtest on my phone there yesterday and getting 75 Mbps download which I'd be very happy with..

There’s usually a cooling off period on online purchases so you could buy it and try it out? I wouldn’t wait the full 14 days to make your decision but prob worth a try…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Curious on other mobile broadband providers myself. We currently have Eir and get decent speeds but the 750Gb got used up and we got restricted down to 5Mb which is horrible.

Do all the companies have these type restrictions tied into their "unlimited " packages .

Thinking to get another sim as a backup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi, similar questions here. I'm with Virgin and they are jacking up the price again. I'm looking at, I think, the same thing the OP mentioned.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/accessories-and-mobile-broadband/b818.html

Do I need to pay for a mobile plan too with this or is it included?

Are these any good? I'm living in north Dublin near the M1, south of the airport, so well build up area.

Re the data usage, I've no ideal what you're watching lol. I exclusively stream (i.e. I don't have a TV) Netflix, YT and IBox, just checked my usage on the Virgin site, Jan to June all under 100gb apart from one at 140Gb. I'd watch, or have the stream on, 3 or 4 hours a day.

Got my Vodafone one yesterday and it's working well.
    Just need to fund the best spot in the house for it.

On the usage I do have the 4k Netflix so that's prob eating up data, plus two kids that might be watching YouTube or Netflix also.

Thanks! I think I have my Netflix set to lo res, looks fine to me. Deff not 4k anyway.

I recall looking into this years ago, I think their device was round, and they had a download limit. Is it unlimited now? Not that I use much.

Would you mind updating us on it's performance in a few days please?

Thanks! I think I have my Netflix set to lo res, looks fine to me. Deff not 4k anyway.

I recall looking into this years ago, I think their device was round, and they had a download limit. Is it unlimited now? Not that I use much.

Would you mind updating us on it's performance in a few days please?

The device is round, it was limited to 300GB a month for 40 quid, but they have a new offer now for 45 quid and unlimited data.
    Device is working well so far, no issues streaming 4K Netflix.

• Advertisement

One good point on the Vodafone one is that even though it's a 12 month contract you can switch to Siro (Vodafone as the supplier) if it becomes available during the contract and they cancel the mobile broadband with no charge

Thanks re the Siro, but not available for me. Maybe it will be soon.

Good to hear your Huawei B818 is working well. That is what you have?

I see the E40 option now beside it!!

Thanks re the Siro, but not available for me. Maybe it will be soon.

Good to hear your Huawei B818 is working well. That is what you have?

I see the E40 option now beside it!!

Yeah, I've got the B818, what's the difference with the E40 one, is that 5G?

I think the E40 one must be the old one then, with the limit?

I'll order one at the weekend (the E45 one).

Just to update, got my Huawei B818 last week. Generally happy with it, but has noticed some possible issues:

• iBox keeps stopping when I cast to my Chromecast. It did that the odd time before but all the time now.
    • Google (search) has asked me to verify I'm human a few times, never seen that before
    • LastPass won't let me login without clicking an email link. Once is expected for a new IP/ISP but not every time.

Advertisement