Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryzen upgrade

Options
  • 23-06-2021 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Current system
    Xeon 4 core 8 thread CPU 1150 - 6900 score on cpubenchmark.
    16GB DDR3
    Gtx 1080
    512GB SSD
    550W Vs series Corsair
    Gtx 1080 graphics card

I'm basically looking for bang for buck.

Ryzen 3600 (is this best option?)
    Will reuse Power supply and SSD
    Which Ram?
    Which Matx motherboard?
    Which Matx Case?

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

The 3600 is a fine CPU but the best Ryzen CPU for gaming at the moment is the 5600X with 6 Cores. The 5800X has 8 cores and that might give it an edge a few years from now when games start to lean more on extra cores. Right now though there is no real performance improvement on anything above a 5600X.

16GB is still more than adequate at the moment. RAM has historically been a bit more finicky with Ryzen CPU's. I picked up G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 to pair with my 5600X. Its configured specifically for Ryzen and worked flawlessly. Don't worry about higher speed RAM at the moment. 3600 or even 3200 is still fine for gaming.

With Ryzen a cheaper B550 motherboard is, in a lot of cases, just as good as the more expensive B570's. Just find one that's in your budget and meets your requirements e.g. wifi or number of USB sockets, USB 3.0 headers if that is something you want on your case.
    If you are going with the 3600, a B450 would be fine as well if you can find them cheap.
    One thing to bear in mind though if you do go with a 5000 series CPU. The motherboard may not be compatible with those CPU's out of the box and may need to be flashed with the latest firmware. There are loads of guides online though, its not that hard as long as you don't have a power outage in the middle of the process.

PSU is fine. Just bear in mind that upgrades down the line might need more power.

SSD is also fine. If you go for a B550 or B570 board, they will have PCIe 4 NVME slot(s) for NVME SSD's but PCIe 4 NVME SSD's are still very expensive. When they come down in price, upgrading to one is nearly as easy as adding more RAM. They just click in and you screw it down.

Cases are very personal but this is a good list. Anything here will serve you well, will have good thermals and should be fairly easy to put together.
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-pc-cases,4183.html
    Gamers Nexus on Youtube also do a lot of case reviews and comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

If you're playing at a resolution above 1080p then go with the 3600 as you'll be GPU bound then

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    If you're playing at a resolution above 1080p then go with the 3600 as you'll be GPU bound then

Yeah, that's a good point about the GPU. I'm assuming OP is re-using the 1080 as well or getting a good price for a second hand 1080 because the market is messed up right now. Things are getting better but it could still be a long time before people can just casually visit a web site or shop and buy a fancy card at a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

I'm playing 1440P. Yea have the 1080 allready.

Cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 micael026

The 3600 is a good processor, but the best Ryzen processor for gaming right now is the 5600X, which has six cores. The 5800X has eight cores, which may give it a competitive advantage in a few years when games begin to rely more heavily on extra cores. For the time being, however, there is no significant performance improvement on any processor other than a 5600X.

At the moment, 16GB is more than enough memory for most people. In the past, RAM has been a bit more finicky when used with Ryzen processors. I purchased G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 memory to use with my 5600X processor. It was configured specifically for Ryzen processors and performed flawlessly in our tests. Don't be concerned about higher-speed RAM for the time being. 3600 or even 3200 is sufficient for gaming purposes.

Cases are extremely individual, but this is a useful list. Everything on this list will serve you well, will have good thermals, and should be relatively simple to put together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jon Doe

You're not looking for a "Ryzen upgrade", you need a Ryzen replacement... :) have you considered the

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 6C/12T, 3.90-4.40GHz, boxed

? It seems that you do not want to reuse the GPU but you don't ask for a replacement? Maybe the 5600G's 448:28:8 is enough for you now?

Advertisement