Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Launching e-sim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

how much are you paying per month, can you get a sim only plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Basic €30 a month plan and always buy my own handsets. So essentially a sim only plan that I can cancel at any time is what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Has anyone had or read any timeframe from Vodafone for Apple Watch support? I bought one from my daughter, it's annoying I can't set it up as a family member because Vodafone are shite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

I would think it’s the next thing down the line now that they are offering esim as a standard service. I did ask about it when I was getting the esim sorted for my phone as I have an Apple Watch ultra but guy in store said it would be a separate number currently

Thanks Homer, I presume there's no way to activate an eSIM on Apple Watch currently, even if it were a separate number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Until apple sell the cellular version on apple.com/ie then no.

Apple Watch eSims utilise sim cloning and cannot have a separate phone number.

God, I'm so stupid. I bought it assuming it has cellular for my kid, was thinking that would be really useful whenever Vodafone get 'round to supporting it. So that does mean the GPS one, even when Vodafone will support eSIM, has no calling functionality whatosever?

The gps watch has no cellular built-in. It needs to be tied to an iPhone.

you can buy cellular versions of the watch in uk owed retailers whether they’ll work whenever the carriers support Apple Watch cellular versions, only time will tell. If I was to take an educated guess though I’d say it’s likely, but not guaranteed.

This thread (if you take time to read back) I’ve been very vocal about people buying cellular versions based on the promises of associates from cellular providers saying support is just “weeks/months” away is a waste of money. They’re usually the last to know and it’s apple’s announcement to make. Several times cellular watch support has been promised and yet its 2023 and it’s nowhere to be seen.

This isn’t a dig/sly at you btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hyz2993

Hi all, just looking for posts about ESIM installing on iPhone. So according to the info above:

1. Vodafone IE has ESIM service now and can order in the Vodafone app;
    2. ESIM on Apple watch cellular version is not using a ESIM directly but a clone from where the iPhone scans that ESIM QRcode and transfers to watch?

Also for who is having both iPhone and Apple Watch, may I ask if you think the cellular is important in your daily use? Or the GPS version is enough?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Vodafone eSim works fine on iPhone but won’t transfer to Apple Watch - it isn’t supported yet. GPS Apple Watch is the only supported version over here. I’ve had the Cellular series 3 and series 6 - neither work on eSim with Vodafone. Hopefully one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

I have a cellular series 4. I had a eSim plan to start with, but other than getting the watch more cheaply, I never used the cellular services. No need, as I always have my phone with me, when I’m out and about. Also the watch didn’t support roaming, so bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Cheers. I get that side of it. I want to be able to use my own number so I can leave the phone at home some evenings or if I’m heading out for a walk.

It’s surprising eir hasn’t launched eSIMs at this point. It’s a fairly obviously useful service and would drive a lot of sales for prepay and Gomo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Ireland and Luxembourg are the only countries in Europe without cellular support for the Apple Watch. They are meant to be working on it and ComReg had a paper put out last year about eSIM in wearables and I had been told by Vodafone it was on their “roadmap” for 2022 but that has since passed. Bit of a **** show at this stage. If it doesn’t launch this year I dunno. Vodafone don’t even allow WiFi Calling abroad unlike Eir. There is no visible voicemail either.

ComReg shouldn't have had to need to resort to kicking them up the rear on eSIMs.

For whatever reason the 3 networks seem to be slooooooooow on rollout of this.

I know Vodafone are currently updating their entire 3G network to 4G or 5G. Not sure if this is something that needs to be done in order for the Apple Watch Cellular to work as it is LTE? Whatever the reason for it not being implemented there is obviously a huge investment to make it happen.

It’s actually not a huge investment to make it happen. Their networks are very modern and high speed.

eSIMs are just an add on service that require a server to do remote provisioning. From the networks point of view it’s just a SIM. The way it interacts with it is exactly the same as a physical SIM. In fact, someone who has a eSIM on a foreign network can roam on any of the Irish networks, including the two that currently don’t provide eSIMs.

There’s nothing magic about them. The Apple Watch just uses the same signals as are already on air. They just need to activate sim cloning, but they won’t as that requires support basically and support means overheads.

The work required is mostly development of a distribution channels to get those codes to customers - apps, QR codes etc,

Other specific services mentioned like Apple visual voicemail are just a plug in for most voicemail systems. There’s no reason any of the Irish networks couldn’t support it. They’ve chosen not to.

It’s the same with eSIMs. They’ve made a business decision that that it’s not worth their while supporting the facility. It’s not a technical issue or lack of technology. They just don’t want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Argos sell the cellular versions of the watches btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Just on this, I have just returned from the States and the plan I used was this one- https://www.gomoworld.com/how-it-works/# which is Gomo in roaming sim form, so I think it's fair to say that it is obviously within remit for Eir to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

How did you find the roaming. What were the speeds like. What was the coverage like. May i ask what part of the states. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭cloudhopper19

I travel to US weekly with work and use Mobimatter. They use the T-MOBILE and AT&T network 5g coverage . Good value too and easy set up.

MobiMatter! Use the code 5MXH810858 to receive 50% cashback (up to $5) on your first purchase!

Download the app:

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mobimatter/id1478409175

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glowfishlabs.mobimatter&hl=en&gl=US

Or visit the website: https://mobimatter.com

eSims aren't particularly technically complicated to implement. The networks for whatever weird reason in Ireland just dragged their feet on it.

It doesn't make much sense as it actually reduces overheads - they can fulfil orders without any physical postage or printing of anything.

Eir's network's certainly not in anyway lacking in technology and all this stuff is very much 'off the shelf'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

It was great, swapped between T-Mobile & AT&T when required, speeds were fine- we were in Miami, North Beach area, was getting 90+ on 4g. Worked fine up in Fort Lauderdale too.

EDIT- I should add I used a different sim from Airalo for the Caribbean which was just as good speed wise, if anyone was travelling there or anywhere really, they have good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I hope the various mobile companies in Ireland haven't been sitting on their hands...

The iPhone sold in France is the same as most of Europe including Ireland.

They would be told of this, Ireland is a flagship country for Apple, and has been since like the iPhone 3G S*. They'll be ready and even at that I believe the setup in the States allowed Apple to clone your physical sim to the eSim as part of the setup of the new phone process

* Think it was the 3G S or the 3G but definitely was a flagship for the 4.

Post edited by Creamy Goodness on

I don’t know what they’re dragging their feet so much for on this. It’s just going to cause a loss of revenue to the ones who don’t have eSIMs when more handsets do this.

Being told and being ready are two very different things.

Are they going to wait to launch eSim services on the day a new iPhone is released? Surely they should be launching now or very soon in order to ensure that their systems actually work. Of course, that's what an organised, prepared phone company would do.

Remember when the iPhone went from normal sim to micro then to nano in a short amount of space? All the carriers that sold the iPhone had support and did so by offering all three sizes with a perforated SIM card.

Of course I want them to launch as soon as possible but the Irish cellular company's are so dysfunctional that I've come to terms with arguing any different is not going to make a jot of difference.

Am still waiting two years for the claims that were made on this thread (re: Apple Watch support) to come true, I'm still not holding my breath.

Yeah, I was told that it was on Vodafone’s roadmap for 2022. More hopeful of it happening this year based on Comreg’s article from last year I think about e-SIMs. At this stage who knows. The real kicker is the companies increasing charges based on the CPI plus a margin. This will be on top of whatever “normal” billpay charges will increase anyway I assume!

• Advertisement

I think it would be fair to say that if eir and/or Three launch eSIM services over the summer, it is then almost certain that the iPhone 15 will be eSIM only in Europe.

Advertisement