Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden tap and reel hose leaking

Options
  • 23-06-2021 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

For some reason when my garden tap was installed 6 years ago the thread on it is very shallow. I think this is the reason any hose connection we use leaks.

We also have an issue where the pipe connecting to the hose reel leaks too.

Any advice on fixing both?

ply9WE.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The leak on the reel could be the hose coming loose. Unscrew it, cut the end of the hose off, dip in hot water then push firmly back onto the connector and make sure the locking screw is tight and not cracked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is the hose properly seated in the adapter and it tightened down?
    they often depend on little rubber o-rings to maintain a seal, it's possible if it's six years old too it might have perished a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭boardtc

The hose connector is very new, the tap is 6 years old. It seems connected fine but is still drips which got me wondering about the thread length....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

boardtc wrote: »
    The hose connector is very new, the tap is 6 years old. It seems connected fine but is still drips which got me wondering about the thread length....

Put PTFE tape on the threads of the tap, it should seal it up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Both my hoses leak with rather more than a drip, I just remember to switch off the tap when I have finished using it :D

I gave up on one of those hozelock reels, not quite as posh as that one but same set up, I seemed to spend half my life unrolling it to fix the hose back on the inside connector. I found a car wheel (without tyre) fixed to a post in an unobtrusive spot worked much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

The threads on my Hozelock tap adapter are longer than those on the tap, so when the adapter is tightened it covers up all of the tap thread. The bottom surface of the tap should seal against the O-ring in the adapter.

Mine is a cheapo plastic version and never feels very secure, but it doesn't leak (yet!).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Personally I gave up on using plastic connectors years ago and replaced them all with brass.
    The plastic/hozelock ones kept wearing and popping off (my area has very good mains pressure though)

RE: tap, ptfe tape as suggested. An extra washer can be put in as a spacer, though this is tricky to get right. You'll find that some of the brass fitting have shallower thread.

RE: reel problems. I always turn off the tap and open the nozzle before reeling/unreeling (ie. remove pressure). There's no kind of bearing/whatever on the reel connector so if there's pressure then the tap-side reel connector will tend to stick and unscrew the connectors on either the inside or outside.

Leaking connectors: I wrap the part of the connectors that sticks into the hose in ptfe tape for a tighter fit, but ultimately I find I have to cut off the end of the hose every so often and refit.

@locksee I did that in both places, it sorted the lek at the reel, brilliant! But the tap is leaking on the top:
    n7xKlG.jpg

I just see the comment now about PTFE tape will try that, awesome!

Ok, I tried plumbers tape, 5 times around, still leaked, when I go 10+ times around it's very hard to thread it straight, once or twice I got it one with a good lot of tape n their and it still leaked somewhere at the top, noticeably improved but not good enough :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I had a similar shallow thread on the tap, the "pro" metal hozelok connector leaked, but the plastic yellow one didn't (could have added another washer, but didn't need to).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

boardtc wrote: »
    Ok, I tried plumbers tape, 5 times around, still leaked, when I go 10+ times around it's very hard to thread it straight, once or twice I got it one with a good lot of tape n their and it still leaked somewhere at the top, noticeably improved but not good enough :-(

Just buy a new tap then making sure there's a long thread in them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭standardg60

tphase wrote: »
    try adding another flat o-ring seal to fill the gap in the adapter

This, is there an o-ring in the connector?

Advertisement