Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia fire warning shots at British Navy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russian bull**** ,

They said similar previously and shared zero evidence to back up their claims ,
    If they fired on a NATO vessel they would face consequences , just bigging up oul Vlad as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

FIRE ZE MISSILES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Yeah a big war is exactly what the world needs.

Who is going to eject them? The Brits and Americans? Who can't even beat the Taliban? I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I remember another country unable to beat the Taliban... :rolleyes:

d15ude wrote: »
    I remember another country unable to beat the Taliban... :rolleyes:

Russians couldn't beat the goat headers despite bombing the country back to the stone age ,
    The Taliban were beaten ,the issue is the Taliban aren't a big standing army ,they loose ground , gain ground and repeat over and over , ideology is difficult to defeat especially when you have a country like Pakistan supplying and training them , while claiming to be an Allie.

Russia doesn't fight big wars they couldn't even beat Ukraine despite having bigger and more forces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What is NATO doing in the Black Sea doing manoeuvres with Ukraine in the first place?

Its provocation. Imagine Cuba doing naval exercises with Russia in the Gulf of Mexico. But sure Russia is the aggressor....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

What is NATO doing in the Black Sea doing manoeuvres with Ukraine in the first place?

Its provocation. Imagine Cuba doing naval exercises with Russia in the Gulf of Mexico. But sure Russia is the aggressor....

Exactly. They need to learn to mind their own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Who's side are you on, Nato or the Ruskies?

Well... my daughter is Russian.... and my wife is English

I suppose I could always get another wife !!

It's open water agreements the blacksea belongs to multiple territories NATO ensure russia doesn't interfere with other states it's that simple .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭thomil

Used to be regular occurrences back during the cold war, when Cuba still had a navy capable of sustaining such operations. Back in those days, the USSR also made sure to send their latest & greatest down to port visits in Cuba just to make a point. There's no one stopping the Russians from doing it again if they can muster enough ships to actually make it worthwhile. Pick a better example next time.

First of all, Exercise Sea Breeze is not a recent invention. This exercise has been a regular occurrence since 1997. Secondly, it's not just US & Ukraine, but also includes Bulgaria and Romanian, who are NATO members as well. Why shouldn't they be allowed to have exercises with their allies in the Black Sea when both have their entire port infrastructure and navies based there?

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

why is an organisation designed to protect its members states, doing military exercises off the coast of four of those states, along with a state that wants to join because their neighbour has steadily increased its military presence on their border?

it isn't about minding their own business, it is about practicing for the job the organisation was created was to do.

And yeah, Russia is the aggressor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ye sure. Sorry I asked. Extending NATO right up to the Russian border. Very peaceful intent indeed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Or a large scale Russian naval exercise about 30 miles off Hawaii, last week. ;)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-navy-warships-come-within-two-dozen-miles-of-hawaii/ar-AALlJQW

Ye sure. Sorry I asked. Extending NATO right up to the Russian border. Very peaceful intent indeed.

But Russia can expand it's borders towards NATO states

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Trying to be relevant and justify its existence. A meaningless exercise.
    A war in the South Atlantic almost forty years ago showed that warships are obsolete and only purpose is to show the flag in what used to be called 'gunboat diplomacy' in the 19th century.

A war in the South Atlantic almost forty years ago

A more recent conflict showed having a big army made up of conscripts are usless when the other side have the ability to rain hell from land ,sea and air 24/7 365 .

Comrade go back to bed

A war in the South Atlantic almost forty years ago showed that warships are obsolete and only purpose is to show the flag in what used to be called 'gunboat diplomacy' in the 19th century.

Would this be the conflict that involved one of the beligerants jumping in to a load of ships, sailing 8000 miles and winning said conflict?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Yeah sure peaceful little Russia didn't annex that part of Ukraine and going on a poisoning spree or send subs to wander around the coasts of multiple nations

How dare NATO use waters their allowed to use for exercises.

Russians are like rats these days (nation not the citizens), become a sorry little dictatorship who's only relevance is a nuclear arsenal and F all morals.

The New North Korea.

A war in the South Atlantic almost forty years ago showed that warships are obsolete

What is it with the poor "examples" in this thread? If anything, the ability to deploy significant landing force to the other end of the world with minimal shore support, land said force on territory occupied by your enemy, and establishing local air superiority over the target area clearly shows the immense utility of a navy.
    Also, the most decisive sinking of that entire conflict, that of ARA General Belgrano, was carried out by another warship, HMS Conqueror. So yeah, great choice of example there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I still have some loo-roll stockpiled from lockdown 1 so I'll be ok if WWIII kicks off.

Don't forget the bread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

thomil wrote: »
    Also, the most decisive sinking of that entire conflict, that of ARA General Belgrano, was carried out by another warship, HMS Conqueror. So yeah, great choice of example there...
    The HMS Conquerer was a submarine.

• Advertisement

Remember when Russia shot down flight MH17 killing all on board over Ukraine ,
    That wasn't a fighter or bomber aircraft ....

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Gatling wrote: »
    But Russia can expand it's borders towards NATO states

Neither should be at it. Let's not pretend Russia is bad and the west is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Neither should be at it. Let's not pretend Russia is bad and the west is good.

Be at what - only one keeps seizing other nations lands, poising random people in public in other nations and shoots down planes with innocent people on them.

Sure the west is not great but the ruskies are stoneage has been sh1tbags these days.

State supported hacking of our health service the latest.

I am now of the belief the rest of the world should boycot and sanction them into the stoneage.

I know, Churchill class nuclear attack submarine. The ship's skipper, Chris Wreford-Brown personally conducted the attack.

She was still a commissioned warship of the Royal Navy. The fact that she operated submerged does not change that status.

If you prefer "standard" surface to surface action, I'll refer you to the sinking of ARA Isla de los Estados by HMS Alacrity.

In either case, or even the case of ARA Santa Fe being sunk by embarked helicopters from HMS Plymouth, Antrim and Brilliant, they were all carried out thousands of miles from the nearest logistical support at Ascencion Island, and even further away from their respective home ports, reinforcing the original point that the Falklands War vindicated rather than dispelled the utility of naval assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I looked up the Daily Mail article just so I could look at the comments. All of the top rated comments are taking the Russian side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I looked up the Daily Mail article just so I could look at the comments. All of the top rated comments are taking the Russian side.

Russians must pay spammers better...

You met the troll factory

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Be at what - only one keeps seizing other nations lands, poising random people in public in other nations and shoots down planes with innocent people on them.

Sure the west is not great but the ruskies are stoneage has been sh1tbags these days.

State supported hacking of our health service the latest.

I am now of the belief the rest of the world should boycot and sanction them into the stoneage.

What a load of drivel. Where do you read this nonsense?

Do you have any evidence whatsoever about the hacking of the HSE being state sponsored?

Why would it be state sponsored? Russia has a 1.7 Trillion economy despite being heavily sanctioned for decades. A paltry 20 million ransom is nothing and we are not a political enemy.

People will believe any crap they are fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

thomil wrote: »
    I know, Churchill class nuclear attack submarine. The ship's skipper, Chris Wreford-Brown personally conducted the attack.

She was still a commissioned warship of the Royal Navy. The fact that she operated submerged does not change that status.

If you prefer "standard" surface to surface action, I'll refer you to the sinking of ARA Isla de los Estados by HMS Alacrity.

In either case, or even the case of ARA Santa Fe being sunk by embarked helicopters from HMS Plymouth, Antrim and Brilliant, they were all carried out thousands of miles from the nearest logistical support at Ascencion Island, and even further away from their respective home ports, reinforcing the original point that the Falklands War vindicated rather than dispelled the utility of naval assets.

Have you counted all the rivets on the Conqueror too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Have you counted all the rivets on the Conqueror too ?

That was a different one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Conqueror_(1911)

Advertisement